Debate Thread

the1

cyber-bullying.....

some people need to realize that just because it's the internet no one can be hurt by it.... and thats not true.... maybe some people don't care but it really does hurt others..... the internet is no excuse to be an asshole to people... it's really not okay.

cyber-bullying.....

some people need to realize that just because it's the internet no one can be hurt by it.... and thats not true.... maybe some people don't care but it really does hurt others..... the internet is no excuse to be an asshole to people... it's really not okay.

That's exacally what i was trying to say! it just didn't come out the same!

Yes, I agree with that, people can be threatened and hurt. At the same time though, you can switch your computer off. No one is forcing you to stay online. If it ruins your internet experience, report the person. Many people are afraid and they shouldn't be.

I could elaborately re-type this, but don't need to because you've said it.

It is so unecessary for someone to even behave in a threatening manner, but in the same way, the greatness of the internet means you don't have to stand/sit there and take it, just press that little X button.

exactly shannon and jorgi

if someone is messing with you, no one is forcing you to stay online. if you don't like a certain site or certain people then you avoid it/them. don't keep putting yourself in situations where you know you will get hurt.

I think if it's people you don't know bullying you over the interwebz then it is easy to just switch the computer off and walk away...slightly harder if it's some you know say at school or work because then you will suffer either way.

Still I think the bully should have the full force of the law thrown at them for doing it

Well, in a way, I've had an experience with cyber-bullying. Not directly to me though.

This girl at school bitches about everyone, but daren't say anything to their faces. One day, she sent my then friend an extremely harsh email. Basically putting her down on things she couldn't help, it was incredibly harsh. It upset me and it wasn't even sent to me! My then friend never reported this email to a teacher though, she thought she'd seem stupid to be upset over an email. The bitchy girl got away with it, and no one knew anything about it since it was done online. Just the three of us who saw it. :nono: Pathetic.

yes. no matter what it still isnt right to bully anyone, anywhere

True but if your being bullied by someone you have never met over a website or forum you have more control over the situation as you decide to visit the place and your the one who is making yourself suffer in the end by going there.

Still it's not nice but it will happen no matter what

^ youre right there. you have control over that but the person bullying still shouldnt be doing it in the first place and it sucks that it has to lead to the person being bullied not come on a certain site anymore

and shannon if i was your friend i wouldve gone to school the next day and punched that girl right in the face

^ youre right there. you have control over that but the person bullying still shouldnt be doing it in the first place and it sucks that it has to lead to the person being bullied not come on a certain site anymore

and shannon if i was your friend i wouldve gone to school the next day and punched that girl right in the face

True but you can always contact admins, moderator, power users or even block said user..........it is sad but there is more you can do about it when it's not someone you have to deal with on a personal level

I was close to doing it myself, some people are twats. This girl? A coward. All bullies are.
bitches :nono:

can talk shit online but wouldnt dare saying anything to your face

ive experienced that

True but you can always contact admins, moderator, power users or even block said user..........it is sad but there is more you can do about it when it's not someone you have to deal with on a personal level
yes yes you're correct

Exactly where do we draw the line between bullying or not though? I mean, there is of course obvious cases, but it isn't always obvious either.

If we attempt to bully but someone isn't offended, are we bullying?

What if we are just having a bad day and snap at someone unintentionally, are we bullying or just 'having a bad day'?

I've had my fair share of bad days and have cracked the shits at people and made them really upset but I don't think that's because I'm a dick and just go out of my way to do it, I just wasn't in the right frame of mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Don’t know if it’s been done yet but I was wondering what peoples views on online relationships are?

Can they really work?

Reason why I ask is my mate Russ in Scotland claims to have a girlfriend yet he has never actually met her (she either lives accross the otherside of Scotland or on the borders or somewhere) he has just spoken to her online and plans to meet up with her at a concert. He claims it’s real love I’m just not sure how it can be since he has never met her (only spoke on the phone) and doesn’t know for sure is she is who she says she is! She could be an old woman for what he knows and he wont listen to reason from his friends and family.

Well this is a fun topic...haha.

I personally don't think you can consider an online relationship legit. I mean, yeah... you may have feelings for someone but until you actually meet them and see how you are in person with that person I don't think it really has the qualities that relationship requires. I think its perfectly acceptable to meet someone online and then end up building a relationship with them after you've met them. However, you have to meet that person in person, in my opinion.

i agree with shannon and faith, mostly

i think an 'online relationship' could work if you both do really care about each other and put effort into keeping it together

i'm sure there's things you could do to make it seem a little more 'real'

though it wouldn't be quite the same as a real life relationship

not any less legit imo, just....different

i have no idea where i'm going with this now

i agree with shannon and faith, mostly

i think an 'online relationship' could work if you both do really care about each other and put effort into keeping it together

i'm sure there's things you could do to make it seem a little more 'real'

though it wouldn't be quite the same as a real life relationship

not any less legit imo, just....different

i have no idea where i'm going with this now

this.

and it would be harder to trust and alot easier for one person to cheat on the other. so you have to have 250% trust in that person and the person has to be loyal. alot of people are blind to the fact that cheating may happen just because (s)he says he "loves you" doesnt mean he doe or just because (s)he) says he isn't cheating on you doesn't mean he isn't... no one wants to believe that that might happen and they believe every word (s)he says because that person "loves" them. it's alot easier to hide thing in an online relationship. it's just makes a relationship very complicated.

but if that person wants one then why not? go for it.

I think it could work, but how legit it is , is questionable.

Sharing love with a partner.....is well, exactly that. Somehow I do not picture a male having a 2000 mile long dick so he can "share the love" with his partner who lives interstate or even in another country.

Yeah, it can be a relationship, but without that physical connection, you're left with only the emotional connection, which I think is only half the equation.

If you never actually want to have sex with your long term partner, it's because you're kidding yourself and feel it's not necessary, or you have some insane insecurities.

FWIW, I've had major feelings for a girl I've never met in real life. She lives in Sydney, biggest city in Australia, which like 600 miles/1000kms from where I live (in fact she is going to university in Darwin, even further away from me).

I said to my friends "Does this make me a nutcase job?" and they said, "Man, you like her, then you like her, no way around it" basically.

I've only ever spoke to her online and over the phone and yet I felt an intense emotional connection. Hell, I probably still like her to some extent, just the feeling isn't as strong was it was about 12 or so months ago.

I could have told her that I was in love with her, that I would have loved to be able to find a way to be able to live with her.

But honestly, I didn't want to make things awkward between us, so I just kept my feelings inside and I think it was for the best.

I don't mean this in an egotistical way, just what I've been told, I'm a fairly good looking guy, fairly intelligent and talented, so it's not like I couldn't find a girl I could have a relationship in real life with,as it is I've had several relationships already anyway and plenty of single girls exist.