Footy Thread

RenegadeRoss

Right so the team we're gonna get is one of Man City, Fenerbahce, Odense, Dinamo Zagreb, Lokomotiv Moskow or Villarreal

Odenese is probably the least toughest there so for getting through id take them, but for travelling purposes and getting to the away leg. Id take Man City!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Nice! Go Motherwell! :)

I think you'd be proud of the fact that on a whim this past weekend, I watched every on-demand football match I could find - lots of Premier League and some MLS (all thanks to ESPN for Xbox 360). I always watch it when I catch it on TV, but that's very rare (or really damn early) over here, so that was pretty awesome. They post one or two matches a week, so I'll keep watching.

Also awesome is how big MLS is getting over here. I remember seeing a Metrostars game about 10 years ago. It was at Giants Stadium, and let's just say it was so empty that there were no lines for merch or food. I just watched a Red Bulls game (formerly the Metrostars) and a Sporting Kansas City game, and the stadiums were not only sold out, but they were built specifically for football/soccer. Soccer's always been big here for school-age kids--both my brother and sister played for years--but it's nice to see that it's finally getting a more national audience in the US.

And yes... I do go back and forth between calling it football and soccer. :P

It definitely has, like the MLS has had some top stars over the past few years including obviously David Beckham, Thierry Henry and Landon Donovan. All top quality players.

When USA played England in the World Cup in 2010 i was totally rooting for USA. I'll never forget the hilarious blunder by the England goalkeeper which led to USA's goal either!

I actually noticed you watching the Tottenham game when i jumped on my xbox the other day, i was going to text you asking you how it was but i ended up forgetting haha.

There's a good site called vipbox.tv which is really good for streaming football games. You even get Motherwell games on there sometimes! Next sunday is the last game of the season sadly but we've qualified to play in the top European competition for the first time in our history. We've played in the lesser competition a few times already but the Champions League is a different standard.

So i'll be travelling abroad to see Motherwell AND be seeing Paramore all in the one month in August!

We're all rooting for a Romanian team upon hearing that pints of beer were just 50 pence.. haha!

Yeah, LA Galaxy has Robbie Keane too. I was actually reading that one of the reasons MLS hasn't blown up even more is cause they have a cap on how much they can spend on big name players that people want to watch, but I guess that also means some of the lesser-known players who are really good will get some recognition too.

Haha, I watched Tottenham vs Aston Villa and Norwich City this weekend, and they didn't do too well in either game. Tied one and lost the other. :P

I'll check that website out. That way I don't have to keep watching the same games on Xbox over and over again, lol. And congrats to Motherwell! I've seen you tweeting about them making the Champions League, and that it's their first time ever making it that far is even more awesome.

My friend studied abroad in the Czech Republic a few years back, and that's what he raved about too... a beer was, like, 40 cents. August is going to be a fun one for you!

I think it's also about time for me to pick a Premier League team or two to root for, but I don't know how to go about it. I'm thinking about Chelsea, just cause I feel like every time I see football news, it's about them, and I've seen a bunch of their games. But at the same time I don't want to pick the "New York Yankees" of football, aka the "we're rich and awesome and our fans are douches about it" team, and I don't know who that would be. lol

Of course! Robbie Keane. I remember Motherwell ruined his debut for Celtic haha!

If i was to advise you, then Chelsea arn't a team you want to pick. They are one of a couple of teams who have that mentality. Just being a team with loads of money and stuff. I used to like them when i was younger before they had a billionare owner.

My english team is Portsmouth but sadly we've had a fall from grace. From being in the Premiership and winning the FA Cup just 4 years ago to now having being relegated down two divisions.

I was gonna list teams to try help you out but it's a personal thing really! I always have a soft spot for Everton because James McFadden plays for them and he started his career at Motherwell. Easily the most talented player i've ever had the pleasure to watch and it always fills me with pride to see him playing in The Premiership.

I might go with Tottenham Hotspur, with Chelsea as my second team. It's possible I'll change my mind after watching more games, but they're the two I've watched most and feel most connected with. As far as I can tell, though, Manchester United are the Yankees of EPL, so I think I'll be staying away from them. :P

Also, I found this pretty great article from one of the writers at ESPN about his adventure choosing which team he was going to root for (it's from 2006, but most of it's still relevant, I think). A few thousand fans wrote into him explaining why he should pick their team, and he narrows it down in list form. It's informative and hilarious.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060719

Hahaha i thurelly enjoyed reading that! It was interesting to see how it's viewed from your side of the pond.

Since you've chose Tottenham i'll link you to one of the best strikes i've seen in the last couple of years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXTLHkNMxRY

- Danny Rose, scoring for Tottenham against Arsenal on his debut. Outstanding goal!

And i introduce to you, the amazing talented skillful genius that is James McFadden. Must note that i attended most of these games in this and i was so proud every time! -

Hahaha, that Danny Rose goal was just incredible. I just started laughing and saying "How did he do that?!?"

And a bunch of nice goals there for James McFadden! I'll definitely keep an eye out for him in Everton games cause he's an extremely talented player. :D

Another thing I'll point out from the James McFadden video: announcers rarely get that excited at American games of any kind. That's a bummer cause it makes the game so much more fun.

I honestly love the man. He never forgets his roots and always says he wants to end his career back where it began, at Motherwell.

The day i see Faddy in a Motherwell top again i'll have tears in my eyes.

One of his last games for us he scored a hat trick, the first one was a tap in from about 2 yards. The second was a penalty that he ran up, hit straight down the middle, and actually dinked the ball off the bar!

The third one he ran from the half way line, beat about 5 players and slotted the ball past the goalkeeper. It was outstanding.

He's incredible. The guy will forever by my absolute hero. :)

Tottenham are probably the "Motherwell" of the EPL i'd say actually so you've made a good choice!

That's awesome. It's the best when players remember where they're from and stay down-to-earth, no matter how talented they are. McFadden seems like an awesome guy in my book. :)

I'm glad I've made a good choice. I'd gladly wear a Tottenham or Motherwell shirt around town. :D