Spammers

Can the admin not change the way people register? I know it would be annoying, but how about changing it so that the admin have to verify new user's as well, obviously it stops genuine people posting till their registration is verified but it would stop all these spambots as well i think

Need a capcha like most sites really upon sign-up.
Does this site not have a capcha? No wonder there's spam bots in that case.

There is one, but it doesn't work. It's vBulletin's fault, the bots have a way of getting the letter/number combination right.

I'm an admin on another vBulletin forum and in the last two days we've banned about 40 bots and we have capcha turned on. We're now moderating new users so we activate their accounts before they can post.

Just checking that forum, 21 bots have tried registering... clicky ...so maybe PF is lucky there's only a handful joining.

• 2 weeks later...
Can the admin not change the way people register? I know it would be annoying, but how about changing it so that the admin have to verify new user's as well, obviously it stops genuine people posting till their registration is verified but it would stop all these spambots as well i think

We can do that, but considering the # of new members we get a day, I don't think Ash or I have time to go through every single one and approve them. It's easier for us to just ban the spammers when they show up.

I think I've figured out the other issue as well - while mods can delete the posts and mark them as spam, I don't think you can ban the spammer while you're doing that. For example, a couple people mentioned as spammers in this post had had all their posts deleted, but weren't actually banned (I took care of that last part.)

So, please - if you see more spammers, PM myself or Ashley and we'll get rid of them. You can email my personal address if you like as well - thebrowncoat at yahoo dot com. Those go straight to my iPhone and I'll get on here and get rid of the spammers as quickly as I can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We do have a CAPTCHA - which means either these spammers are finding a way around it or they're actual humans registering and them spamming.

I'm not sure.

Either way, they're all being banned as we find them and all their posts are being deleted.

We do have a CAPTCHA - which means either these spammers are finding a way around it or they're actual humans registering and them spamming.

I'm not sure.

Either way, they're all being banned as we find them and all their posts are being deleted.

The bots are getting around it. It's happening on vBulletin forums. You're actually quite lucky here, on another forum I'm an admin at, we've had to disable registrations and manually approve people cause we were getting so many bots joining and posting worse stuff than the bots on here if you know what I mean.

• 3 weeks later...
The bots are getting around it. It's happening on vBulletin forums. You're actually quite lucky here, on another forum I'm an admin at, we've had to disable registrations and manually approve people cause we were getting so many bots joining and posting worse stuff than the bots on here if you know what I mean.

Huh. That's really frustrating. I don't want us to have to move to manual approvals.