Is this site slow to anyone?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Part of that could have to do with the cookies your computer has for this site though, which all got reset when the forums changed over. If you don't log on and let pages load, it doesn't get all the information it needs to load faster the next time you're on or the time after that.

My experience with this board has always been that when it works, it's fast and when it doesn't work, I get that 505 Internal Server error (then I wait a few minutes, refresh the page and it works again). I'll check it out on Dreamhost, but if it's anything that needs to be changed on our host's end, Brent's the only one who can do that, so it might take a few days.

^ oh god I remember the dial up days. I remember when we first got internet and we had it with no images at all. Just text, slow as shit to load up. We had a computer at home and my dad was on it a lot, so I would go across the street to the library and use the internet there. This was 1996, 1997 ish. We were allowed to sign up for 1 hour time frames and use it as long as we wanted unless someone else showed up. In 1 hour I could get onto maybe 3 or 4 sites at best before my time was up. At home before Lar Freakin' Ulrich singlehandedly destroyed the concept of Napster, it would take an hour to download a 3 minute song.

^ oh god I remember the dial up days. I remember when we first got internet and we had it with no images at all. Just text, slow as shit to load up. We had a computer at home and my dad was on it a lot, so I would go across the street to the library and use the internet there. This was 1996, 1997 ish. We were allowed to sign up for 1 hour time frames and use it as long as we wanted unless someone else showed up. In 1 hour I could get onto maybe 3 or 4 sites at best before my time was up. At home before Lar Freakin' Ulrich singlehandedly destroyed the concept of Napster, it would take an hour to download a 3 minute song.

dude i remember when i first discovered napster

my life was changed forever

Just be thankful you guys don't have dial-up like me. :lol:

I wait FOREVER for this forum to load, hince the reason why I don't get on much.

I wish there was something I could do to make the forum dial-up frienly, but I don't really think there is anything I could do.

Unfortunately, the internet standard is at least DSL (minimum). Dial up was fast and friendly in the '90s, but not anymore. We can't make a website that's nice to dial up without pissing off 99% of the internet, saying websites are stripped down and too minimal.

It's not what PF can do to accommodate your dial up issues, this is actually something you have to do to improve your experience on PF. Dial up is a dead trend. It is slower than slow, inefficient, and an overall tedious experience. If you want PF to act better, or the entire internet to function better, you will have to move up to DSL or broadband (preferrably). Wish there was something simpler, but no one really uses dial up anymore.

That's odd because I've never seen any error on here, or slowness on my end. Whatever is going on with the host must be effecting everyone differently. Wish there was something I could do, but as of right now, I got no ideas :(

Just be thankful you guys don't have dial-up like me. :lol:

I wait FOREVER for this forum to load, hince the reason why I don't get on much.

I wish there was something I could do to make the forum dial-up frienly, but I don't really think there is anything I could do.

Download Firefox.

Proceed to download the NosScript add-on.

Allows you to turn on and off scripts at your command, and as such can prevent some unnecessary crap from loading.

It wont makes worlds of difference, but it can at least help a bit to speed stuff up.

Plus if you're using an old browser anyway, that will also add to the bottlenecks.