Is this site slow to anyone?

There are 2 issues at work here.

One is that we still use shared servers through Dreamhost. We could purchase a dedicated server, but the cost for this is much more significant than our current plan - you're talking hundreds to even thousands of dollars per year vs. what we currently pay. Despite what's been posted here, we don't make even close to that off the Google text ads that we run. Those basically cover our current server costs and other maintenance and that's about it.

The other issue with slowness is due to the large size of our PHP database (which runs the boards.) As has been noted, we really need to do a massive cleanup and delete a lot of the old Game and Off Topic threads - but when we do that, it's going to eventually affect the post counts of a lot of users.

So it really comes down to what's more important - having the site work well or having your post count reflect everything you've ever posted. I'm open to whatever people think is best. My personal preference would be to clean up a ton of old threads to reduce the database size and then we can look into better servers if we need them.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brent, it's good to think about the "clients" as well, but you are the admin. Here's a moment where you need to take it to your own hands. This place needs the cleanup or else it will be rendered useless, sooner or later. You know what's best to this board better than anyone else, and I think members here know that, so don't worry about triggering an uprising. No one is going to climb to the barricades if you do a massive cleanup and people's post counts drop significantly. Members will notice the benefits, I'm sure.

As for a new server, if it will cost that much, then it's probably out of the picture. Donations are a possibility, but not a realistic one I think. And when there's a free way around this problem without having to change the server, you know what to do.

It's kind of sad to grow attatched to post counts anyway.. It's quality not quantity!!

Yes, says the girl with 22K posts, but that's because this is my favourite "place" and I have so many friends here, not because I want a big number. I'd be reall upset if this site went bankrupt or whatever so I don't care if my post count does right down!

Inderdaad. The threads in the games-section might be a good way to waste time/have fun/put a pressure on the keyboard/whatever but no one is going to be shuffling through them one month from now on. It's a no-brainer. Some people here have giantastic post counts, but that's just because they like to post, not because they want to increase their post count/have no life. No one's attached to their post counts. :)

There was another issue that was really impacting our server load that I just fixed as well - some files that were apparently being streamed without our knowledge and eating up a TON of bandwidth (and yes, I know - we should upload everything as .zip, not .mp3, but sometimes we screw up :)

Anyway, that's been corrected and I think performance should dramatically improve. If you're still having problems, let me know.

On another note, in trying to prune old threads - it's very difficult on our shared server - Dreamhost tends to time us out before the request can complete unfortunately. But again - I think the issue I fixed above should improve performance with everything.

it's been working well for me too

aaand i come with a suggestion

would it be possible to make it an option to hide your post count?

if you can't see it you can't care, right?

i do that on most sites i post on if the option's there

just an idea

I can take it off everyone's profiles, but I don't see an option to allow people to choose whether they want to hide it or not - granted, I just did a quick glance through the vBulletin settings, so it might be in there somewhere.

Call me weird but I'd like to see people's ages in their profiles. I got used to it being visible in another forum and I'm always interested in how old people actually are when compared to the image they convey. It's tiresome to shuffle through people's profiles everytime. :)

The forum has worked fine BTW! Do you have any idea how big the database can grow before it becomes a problem, anyway? As it seems right now, it isn't big enough to cripple the server.

Call me weird but I'd like to see people's ages in their profiles. I got used to it being visible in another forum and I'm always interested in how old people actually are when compared to the image they convey. It's tiresome to shuffle through people's profiles everytime. :)

The forum has worked fine BTW! Do you have any idea how big the database can grow before it becomes a problem, anyway? As it seems right now, it isn't big enough to cripple the server.

Dreamhost has never given us a database limit and at about 600mb, so far, I think we're ok in that regard. They've always been willing to move us to a new server in the past when performance started to degrade as well.

The real problem was that the site was getting hit for 20GB of downloads/streams a day from Chinese mp3 search engines and the like. I've fixed that problem now by making all our media files zip files instead of mp3, which we should have done in the first place.

As for making ages and the like visible, I'll have a look in the vBulletin settings and see what we can do.

• 1 month later...