The Official Post Your Gear Thread

The Drummer

Scott I said it's a 7 string telecaster I actually really want. I don't play 6 string guitars anymore 8-)

But regardless not a bad guitar. Would be cool for the pop punk/alt rock/emo/pop rock stuff I play, although perhaps not quite as suitable for the modern extreme metal stuff I do

I'd get confused by the extra string.

A proper gig amp is anything from a 5 watt mic-d up, monstrous head and 6x12 cabinet combination or a digital amp modeling processor sent straight to FOH and subsequently through stage monitors.

It probably helps to tell us what your needs are and exactly what kind of music you play (genres, list of bands that influence you etc)

It wouldn't be mic-d up, but I dunno, there's quite a few different influences that are completely different :lol:

Well, care to list some of those influences Matt so I can get a better idea?

I personally do A LOT of genre hopping (I play everything from pop punk to post-hardcore to technical death metal) and you'll find some amps can cover the whole gamut of a lot of different styles of rock music.

Why wouldn't it be mic'd up anyway? Venues around your area don't have mics?:P

Well, probably will be :lol: but we're also playing just random church gigs and crap, so y'know :P

So a list of influences?

It doesn't matter if you're playing "church" gigs or not or the world's biggest stadium venues, what style of music is what will determine what kind of amp you need.

Well, the stuff that you play isn't much of a stretch from what I do. From pop rock to metal, as I said before, is what I do really.

Paramore use have used Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifiers, but they are also just as suitable for the most extreme styles of metal you can think if you know what you're doing in terms of matching it with the right kind of cabinet and over drive pedal.

What kinda budget you got though? Cos Dual Rectos are not exactly cheap amps, but fuck, if you can afford one, buy one and you wont need a new amp for a long time

http://www.bugera-amps.com/EN/Products/index.aspx

The 333 or 333XL models depending on what you need.

End of story.

Despite their cheap price, they will confidently match up to MUCH MORE expensive amps.

They will cover pretty much ANYTHING a rock and metal guitarist would ever need to do.

Pair them with an Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-7, and (hopefully some sort of noise gate if you don't want horrendous feedback at gigging levels) and you will have godly tone

And don't be put off by the high power ratings.

Most of their tone comes from the preamp section and they are actually quite manageable at relatively low volumes.

The older Marshall Plexis and all that, where you needed to crank them to full to get distortion are another beast altogether and generally will be WAY too loud for virtually any venue or application.

The high wattage means more headroom which in layman terms means = more clean sounding clean tones and tighter, more focused low end, which is pretty much exactly what most guys, like yourself or I need for modern rock or metal

I'd get confused by the extra string.

Uh, why?:???:

It's just another string, it's not like trying to learn an entirely new instrument.

Within a few days of owning my first 7 string, I'd pretty much figured out how to incorporate the low string into scale patterns and within about 20 minutes of owning it I'd already written some riffs on.

It's a pretty natural, easy transition

Uh, why?:???:

It's just another string, it's not like trying to learn an entirely new instrument.

Within a few days of owning my first 7 string, I'd pretty much figured out how to incorporate the low string into scale patterns and within about 20 minutes of owning it I'd already written some riffs on.

It's a pretty natural, easy transition

Okay. I'm gonna work on getting better at 6 strings first.

(I was half joking about the confusion)

DON'T get the combo version.

The speakers in the combo are great for clean tones, but for the kinda stuff you and I would want to play, it's just shit. Piercing treble, harsh mid range and muddy lows.

Buy the head version.

A well constructed cab with Celestion Vintage 30s are among the best bet as far as cabs go.

A LOT of people under estimate the importance of good quality cabinets and speakers. They play a big role in the tone you get.

If money is there, a Mesa Boogie Rectifier Oversized 4x12 is king.

If not, the Harley Benton 2x12 cabs with Vintage 30s are great and sound good at lower volumes than 4x12s (due to 2x12s having less headroom, causing the speakers to break up at lower volumes).

Also look into Mesa Boogie 2x12 cabs, should be quite few on the used market

I have the fingers of a little baby, I think I would start having reach-issues with a 7-stringer. Or if not with that, then at least with an 8-stringer., Maybe not, though, I've never tried.

You'd be fine with a 7 string.

As it is, most classical guitars have a wider neck than most electric 6 string guitars anyway.

Honestly, going from a 6 to 7, if anything it felt even MORE natural than a 6 string electric as I feel it fits the hand better.

As a 7 string (in 99 per cent of cases, unless you opt for the high A string) has a low B, if you know you're theory (which you do), it takes no time at all to learn how to incorporate the 7th string into your playing, as of course we previously had a B string on which we learnt the notes for scales for particular key signatures.

Of course, with a high A, the same can be said since we already had an A string which we know the notes on.

As for 8 strings, honestly I had zero trouble with with the width of the neck and I don't exactly have Steve Vai/Jimi Hendrix huge hands.

It would never become my main instrument, but I'll pick up an 8 string down the track to fuck around with.

Okay. I'm gonna work on getting better at 6 strings first.

(I was half joking about the confusion)

I never understood that argument personally.

I could still improve on 6 strings, but it didn't stop me from buying a 7 string anyway.

If anything I found a 7 string made life easier for a lot of different styles, as you don't have to always tune down for certain songs (for example, I can pretty much play all of Paramore's discography without needing to use a different guitar, I can do it all on just one 7 string guitar) and when you're fucking around and being jazzy, you have significantly better access to lower notes to embellish chords with bass note runs and/or chromaticisms (for passing notes between chord changes) as you're not having to reach down 5 frets to grab a note on the low E string, as it's right there on the low B string

You'd be fine with a 7 string.

I never understood that argument personally.

I could still improve on 6 strings, but it didn't stop me from buying a 7 string anyway.

If anything I found a 7 string made life easier for a lot of different styles, as you don't have to always tune down for certain songs (for example, I can pretty much play all of Paramore's discography without needing to use a different guitar, I can do it all on just one 7 string guitar) and when you're fucking around and being jazzy, you have significantly better access to lower notes to embellish chords with bass note runs and/or chromaticisms (for passing notes between chord changes) as you're not having to reach down 5 frets to grab a note on the low E string, as it's right there on the low B string

That's a good point, but I also wouldn't/couldn't spend any more $$$ on a 7 string guitar when I already bought a $700 guitar. I gotta get a job soon.

On a different note, my bro would rather play my tele than his Gibson SG. :D So I gotta get it back from him today in time for practice. :nono: Oh well.

Do you know how good this is?? - http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/77031

About as good as having diarrhea, your pants falling down and tripping over. All the while being in the middle of a busy street being ass raped by some guy that has a diarrhea fetish.

As I said earlier DO NOT underestimate the importance of a quality cab with good speakers.

Bugera can talk all they want, but their cabs do not voice well with the 6260, 6262, 333 and 333XL heads at all.

Except for rare circumstances, most of the time cabs that don't have proper brand name speakers will sound shit.

Understandably, you probably wont be able to afford a Mesa Boogie Rectifier oversized 4x12 cab (they are also a severe pain in the ass to carry around, at 50 Kilograms).

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/RECTOcabs/Recto2x12H-LG.htm

These are a fair bit cheaper, and obviously much easier to carry around (and to boot, will sound better for smaller venues and rehearsal)

If you can swing on, you'll be set for a rather long time

That's a good point, but I also wouldn't/couldn't spend any more $$$ on a 7 string guitar when I already bought a $700 guitar. I gotta get a job soon.

On a different note, my bro would rather play my tele than his Gibson SG. :D So I gotta get it back from him today in time for practice. :nono: Oh well.

Plenty of 7 strings can be had for under 250 USD these days, but of course understandably you probably can't quite get one soon.

And man, if I were bro, I'd be the same. I WAY prefer Teles over any Gibson SG.

• 4 weeks later...

Crappy photo cos the camera was shit, hopefully I can get better pics down the track. I bought the amp head a few weeks ago and the cabinet a few weeks before that

IMG_0075.jpg

Presenting: Bugera 333XL 3 channel 120 watt Tube head. Power by 4 EL34 power amp tubes.

Clean tone is amazing and the high gain tone totally slays.

Underneath is a Harley Benton 2x12 loaded with 2 Celestion Vintage 30 speakers.