Help! Graduation Speech!

Erin

Alrighty, I was selected by my teachers to write and read a speech for my 8th grade graduation.

It is the Opening speech so I had to add the opening paragraph and whatnot.

It is also the theme of "Inspiration." It SHOULD be about 3 minutes.

I would greatly appreciate it if you'd take a look at it (and tell me how long it took you to read it.)

Comments, suggestions, anything I should add, all greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Good evening, and welcome to the graduation of the class of 2010. Before we go any further in the ceremony, we must take a moment to recognize those who helped make each and every individual sitting up here believe in themselves. This confidence helps us challenge ourselves to become the best we can be everyday. This is all thanks to the parents, teachers, and administrators. From the moment we were born, all the way up to where we are now, these people have been supporting us. Being supported from the beginning will prove to be very important. An American author once said, “You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.” Whether we all realize it or not, the adults are the ones that motivate us to do well in everything we do, and we are grateful.

Most graduation speeches usually talk about how we’ve all grown closer together over the years, but I don’t think that exactly applies to the Mary E. Volz class of 2010. To explain, I think that we’ve become stronger individuals, ready to face our own future. As individuals, we all have our own unique inspirations that keep us going; whether it be a teacher, sports player, musician, artist, or anybody else. After all, they are the reason why we have worked so hard to get to where we are today. I know right now what the calss of 2010 is thinking; when is this going to be over with so I can get out of here? As much as this is true, it’s also true that over the next few years, we will realize how much we valued our time at Volz. The past years that the class of 2010 has spent at Volz are one step in the staircase of life, which we are all climbing to ultimately reach success. In the end, the thing that keeps us climbing is inspiration.

Think about it; who inspires you? For me, my inspiration comes from people I see everyday; my teachers. Galileo once said, “You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them to discover it within themselves.” Everyday, I look forward to each class because I know that I’m going to learn something that I didn’t know the day before. Each class has helped me discover something different about myself as well. Anyone who can do that day after day, even while dealing with all of our crazy antics, is inspirational in my book. Each of us have our own inspirations that will motivate us to power through anything that gets in the way of our goals. Throughout the next four years in high school, and the rest of our future, the class of 2010 will look upon our inspirations to keep us striving for success.

On that note, I’d like to take a minute to thank the people who made this year a great one; the teachers. Miss G, Mrs. Sirolli, Mrs. DeFeo, Mrs. VanHook, and last but certainly not least, Mr. Natali. Over the past nine months, they have done a fantastic job at preparing us for our future, and the teaching didn’t stop after the lesson. They taught us responsibility, and what we are going to have to do if we want to carry out a successful life. Overall, their teaching has put us on the right track to achieve our life goals, and we will never be able to thank them enough.

Inspiration. Responsibilty. Goals. How are you going to use them? Are you going to do anything in your power to achieve your goals? Or will you just give up after failing? The power is in our hands now. I hope that each and every one you use this power to become the best that you can be. Thomas Edison once said, “If we did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.” Congratulations and good luck to the class of 2010.

again, comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Sounds good. There's a little typo (class) in the second paragraph but that's obviously unimportant. But yeah, good work!

Oh I know. I corrected it on the actual document but that was after I copy-pasted.

Alright. Thanks Rossy!

made a minor improvement in the above quote, but otherwise i think that's lovely !

OMG i'll totally accidentally say that now because i'll be reading most of it from memory.

oh well, i'll be remembered! XD

and thank you!