getting more kids aware about suicide.

cheap_perfume

wow, ya'll. i haven't been on in over a month. i miss this site so much. school's been keeping me real busy, and when i'm not working i'm sleeping. how is everyone?

in case some of you don't know, i'm megan. i'm a junior at a school in tennessee. yesterday, i get the news that someone died in our school. he was a sophomore. how he died? i had no clue. i thought maybe it was a car wreck. today when my friend came to pick me up, she told me how he really died and this is what she said:

"megan he died of suicide. he ran away from his mom's house, and stayed with his dad for a couple of days. then his sisters came into the house, and told him that his mom called and that she wanted him to call back. he went in his dad's room, got a shotgun, went outside, and killed himself."

i was incredibly shocked. my brother-in-laws mom shot herself. to hear that someone from our school did it made me want to burst into so many tears. there were so many emotions and questions of why? everybody knew this guy. he was real sweet and cool to be with.

i thought of to write love on her arms. today's suicide prevention day. i think every day is anyways. but i'm thinking of going to the guidance office and telling them about T.W.L.O.H.A. and of course other organizations too. kids may be aware about suicide, but not as much as they should be. i already know about cause my best friend dealt with it, and he got out of it. but do ya'll think it's a good idea? i just don't think that many kids are as aware as they should be. many of my friends today were asking,"how could he do that," and,"why." i don't know the answer and never will. but i do ask of ya'll to pray for him and especially his family. his sister goes to our school and i know that i can't be easy to lose a family member. but anyways thanks for taking the time to read this. i'm pretty sure i'm going to post this in livejournal.

by the way, what do ya'll think when someone commits suicide?

thanks everyone

-megan.

I think it's a great idea, and that we should do all we can to help prevent suicide. It's devastating, truly devastating.

It's horrible when someone commits suicide. I've never personally known anyone that did it, but I've been on both sides--I've attempted a few times, and I talk people through it a lot.

There's so much pain involved. The person usually is so full of this anguish and severe depression that he or she feels there's no other way. Family and friends battle guilt and pain for the rest of their lives. No good comes out of it whatsoever.

To me suicide is an incredibly selfish way to go. Your not just killing yourself but your destroying your family and anyone who ever had any love for you. Theres always a better solution than ending your life.

Yeah but they don't see that light at the end of the tunnel. They're so depressed that they feel like suicide is the only option, and they can't think rationally because they're blinded by their depression. They feel like they're a burden to the world and that their life is pointless. It's not like normal, happy people are killing themselves. It's people who either have problems like bipolar disorder or other issues, or extremely depressed people.

suicide is horrible and no one should have to go that way. I guess I can't really say much more tho, because I've never known neone who committed. I've attempted twice, and it's really not nethign I want to remember. However, I'm a big supporter of TWLOHA and this that thing where I wrote "Love" on my arm today. No one noticed it, so I'm gonna do it again tomorrow cuz I wanna share TWLOHA with someone. I even forgot to take a picture lol

today is suicide prevention day or something like that.

anyway, a kid i went to school with since preschool died at the beginning of august at a boy scout camp. he read about something called the choking game, which is where you choke yourself until you pass out and then you get some kind of high of it or something. he had a rope thing all figured out and he thought he would drop the rope when he passed out, but he held onto it and ended up hanging himself. not technically suicide, but it's close. i don't get why you would even think of trying something like that. and it's just insane to think that someone i've known for that long died like that.

That's a great idea.

Kids really need to be more aware of suicide.

I think teenages need to be taught how to look for signs in friends and fellow classmates etc, that thier might be suicidal thoughts.

My best friend committed suicide a year and a half ago. And it was one of the most devastating things i had been through. No one knows why she did it. She never left a note, or any sort of clue on why. To see how much it put her parents through and her twin brother and her little brother and the rest of her family, if she had of seen how much it broke them apart i know she would have never had done it. Her funeral was huge so many people, she had so many friends, teachers etc who cared for her. I just wish she had seen and known that before. And hmm the worst thing was know one knew she was having problems at all she was so happy and vibrant and talkative but hmm. My point is i agree that kids need to be more aware of it. It's an horrible and devestating thing that the people left behind have to go through, i wouldn't even want to imagine what was going through her to think the world didn't want her anymore so she thought she had to kill herself.

Yeah but they don't see that light at the end of the tunnel. They're so depressed that they feel like suicide is the only option, and they can't think rationally because they're blinded by their depression. They feel like they're a burden to the world and that their life is pointless. It's not like normal, happy people are killing themselves. It's people who either have problems like bipolar disorder or other issues, or extremely depressed people.

Oh I know i wasn't disregarding this. My uncles best friend found out his wife was cheating on him so he took his shotgun went outside and sat down next to his car and used hit foot to pull the trigger and killed himself, he had 2 kids. Its just terrible to put yourself before your kids like that, I cant even imagine.

Wow, I'm quite surprised a lot of you have tried to commit suicide. I was there once too. You know, it's funny. I kept using the phrase in my sig, "I'm not gothic; I'm just morbid" and the entire time I was gothic and emo. But those times were just so depressing and you have the feeling of being alone. I asked my friends if they would miss me if I ever killed myself. They all said, "Yeah sure" At the time, that really hit me hard because I thought no one cared. But they were all just trying to prevent me from actually doing it. I know it's a weird way to prevent someone from committing suicide, but they knew me well, and they knew that those were the words I needed. I didn't need anyone nurturing my depressed state. Those idiots saved my life. I still say the phrase these days because I am, in some ways, still that person I was in those times, but now, it's more of a reminder of that dark time in my life. It's sad whenever I hear about someone killing themselves. Because if I could find the light, then so can they, and yet, they didn't.

you know im afriad to say this...but if anybody need to kill thierself...they really need to stick thier head in the bible and find jesus and god...or somebody should have helped them find our lord and savior. There is a lil thing called Age Of Acountablity, He was old enough to know what he was doing and knew what was going to happen to them. Sucide is a sin....god didnt put you on this world live on it and then kills your self and take yourself off the face of the world. He put us here to hope everybody will know who he is and hopefully follow the bible and walk in his footsteps. and have a home in heavan with him. I know yall will chew me out for saying this and ask well god shoulda stopped him?, No god will not help you unless you seek him and want to follow his word. thas all ive got to say about all this sucide stuff.. It bothers me about people killing thierselves cuz its wrong. I support To Write Love On Her Arms...but I do not feel sorry for people that commit sucide...If these people are so sad...they know well enough to go get help to save them from doin what they are wanting to do.

• Like 1

To me suicide is an incredibly selfish way to go. Your not just killing yourself but your destroying your family and anyone who ever had any love for you. Theres always a better solution than ending your life.

ur right it is....and well im bipolar and a few years ago...i was going to comment suicide.....but my mom found out and i realized how much i was hurting my family.........but when when ur in that state of mind u can careless of what anyone thinks of u...u just want to leave.......and suicide seemed like the answer....but if i just take my meds ill be fine.....haha:willy_nilly: ...but suicide is not the answer...theres way more to live....

I didnt really understand what you just said...all im saying is...for god to even help you or anybody through anything you have got to have faith and follow his word...in my eyes and thoughts, killing yourself is like killing jesus all over again. why would you kill yourself when jesus gave himself up on the cross for people like me and you and everybody to live a life now days. I know that me and you might understand that. but a person thats close to kill thierselves wouldnt unless somebody else helps them and brings god in thier life. Im thinking maybe thas what me and everybody should do if we know somebody thas thinkin bout sucide insted of telling them its okay and makin em feel good for a lil while till they go home again. but Im just making sure you understand that before we get on a i dont belive in god type deal or anything.

ah well..im not afriad to express my views...i could carelss if anybody gets mad at me on here for saying that I believe in god or w.e....and that these people are commiting sins and I dont feel sorry for them...then so be it. nobody is judgeing anybody but when your commiting sins it needs to be known..and sucide is a sin no matter how good the person was before they killed themselves or anything. God will not accept that it was okay for somebody to kill themselves and they can have a place with him in heavn. I will not deny god in this types of discuision's...god needs to be brought of up this kinda conversation...if you think not then...hahah then there is problems lol...I dont really think kids need to be aware of sucide...its like putting somethin in thier head...so if they feel like crap one day then they will go home and start slicin thier wrist or somethin.

Some of you guys have said some really great things, but I still think some people haven't fully wrapped their minds around this. As much as I'd love for it to be as simple as just cracking open the bible and finding god, it's just not. You have to understand that by the time a person gets to the point of wanting to commit suicide, nothing rational is going to appeal to them because their mind is so far gone that they think suicide is their only option. They don't think that their is any solution to their pain, which is why it's so essential for everybody to be education of the signs of depression and suicide so that if somebody you love looks like they're headed down that path, you can catch it in time.

For the people who do drugs and screw up their life to the point of suicide I have no remorse for, I also have no remorse for people with young children that commit suicide. However for the people who are abused as children and grew up in an environment that has left them severely depressed and hopeless, well thats a slightly different situation. Depression is not just a mental disorder but a disease and so it needs to be taken care of as quickly as possible before it becomes fatal just like any other disease.

wow ya'll. all these have been great. the whole god issue did get a little too personal though i will have to say. evan DID go to church. he was a believer. was it right for him to do this? no. it wasn't. but when you get to feeling low like you're nothing some people just commit suicide. it's not right, but they think it's the only way out of pain and misery. and kids SHOULD be more aware. it's not like we're going to provoke anyone to commit or cut. i came close to suicide. so freaking close. that's why this whole thing shakes me up. and that's why i feel like i want to do this. and get this across to my school. one guy said,"they should go stick their heads in the bible." not everyone believes in god. me? yeah i do strongly. but if you don't believe then it's not that easy. you can't just go, open up a bible, and believe everything will be okay. it's just not that simple. and religion is a little too personal to be discussing it on here, okay?

but thank you everyone for your responses and prayers.

^ I agree with you. Depression does not discriminate--it affects people of any religion, economic status, skin color, gender, nationality, etc.

Even though I am a proud Christian, telling someone to just stick their head in a Bible probably will not help. They need love, encouragement, prayers, a listening ear, and someone that's ready to get professional help.

With everything thats been said. Yeah some people may believe the god thing. And other don't what about people who are bought up in races that don't believe in god, they are told from a young age not to believe in god etc. Then who are they ment to turn too? So many people are diagnosed with depression and seriously once they get to the stage where they want to kill themselves do you really think Oh i got to find faith in god is running through their heads? It's probably the last thing running through their heads. Whats probably going through their heads is no body wants them here, they don't think the world wants them. So hmm every one has their opinions on this subject and for alot of people its a touchy subject. But yeah this is a good topic.