Inception

Scott!

Personally, I believe that the end movie can be explain by the infinite staircase paradox. Any ending you can come up with can be defended, while it can be proven wrong with other ideas. No matter what support you use to defend your theory, you can always be shot down by someone that disagrees. Nolan made the ending IMPOSSIBLE to deduce, creating a paradox. There's evidence showing he's dreaming, and evidence showing he's awake. Obviously, it can't be both. Much like the staircase that shows you can keep climbing without ascending, which is impossible. Both the end of the movie and the staircase create illusions that things that CANNOT happen, happen. Paradox.

That being said, if I had to pick dream or reality. I would have to say that he's awake. Because, right before the screen cuts, the top BEGINS to topple. Should he have been stuck in limbo, it would have kept spinning perfectly, and wouldn't have even started to topple.

I agree.

I also believe the end is reality since the top was definitely gonna fall. I think that was the implied ending, but then again...paradox. In a way, the whole film feels like a dream. You're always drawing new conclusions and trying to solve the puzzle/finding new ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

Bittersweet. Brilliant but bittersweet.

Well said. I think I really like movies that don't always end with the typical, "good guys win, everything is fine, all is right with the world," and this one is definitely mind boggling enough to really throw in some interesting twists for the ending. It's so different, and I like that. I hope more directors see this and realize that movies have so many possibilities for endings, that maybe it's good to end a movie in a new, or uncommon way.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one who thinks that this movie is simply... bad?

I watched it for like 90 minutes,until I got annoyed and closed the player. This made absolutely no sense. :neutral: And maybe it's because I'm a psychology freak and this whole dream-business actually interests me. But they chose to complicate it. All. And yeah,I know it's not supposed to be logical and all that jazz,but... I can't even find my words.

I'm honestly disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...