• Please log in to reply
291 replies to this topic

#41 Harry

Harry

 

• 5,393 posts
  • Locationfaggottown

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:01 AM

^Awesome!

BTW Pekka, just checked out your arrangements of Fences.
Good stuff bro, nice arrangement, great playing, nothing to fault really.

Your Little Wing cover, props to you man.
I could never play that opening section, ever. It's a pretty damn technical stuff, rhythm guitar wise, it's well beyond me, but you pulled it off well.
Show us some more stuff, really want to see/hear more.

#42 SalsaC

SalsaC

- -

• 2,647 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:31 AM

Hey, thanks a bunch for listening! I appreciate it!

I'm probably going to cover a Protest The Hero song next, but I'm performing some piano stuff next weekend so I have my hands full right now. I'll try to get to it as fast as I can, now that I have an eager audience. :)

#43 hairawr

hairawr

can't think of anything clever.

• 755 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:52 PM

I call playing bass on said tracks (PF.com e-cover band? lol)
"art changes people, people change the world..."
— John Butler

#44 Anavi

Anavi

Whoa

• 4,793 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:53 PM

I call playing bass on said tracks (PF.net e-cover band? lol)

hahahah :wink:
i didn't know that we formed a band :shifty:
s9ly.png

Signature by Betty

#45 hairawr

hairawr

• 755 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:54 PM

I already booked a tour for us...
— John Butler

#46 Anavi

Anavi

Whoa

• 4,793 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:02 PM

I already booked a tour for us...

ha ha cool :cool:
s9ly.png

Signature by Betty

#47 Harry

Harry

 

• 5,393 posts
  • Locationfaggottown

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:21 AM

Hey, thanks a bunch for listening! I appreciate it!

I'm probably going to cover a Protest The Hero song next, but I'm performing some piano stuff next weekend so I have my hands full right now. I'll try to get to it as fast as I can, now that I have an eager audience. :)

Cannot freakin' wait for PTH stuff. Anything off Fortress would be killer.

I call playing bass on said tracks (PF.com e-cover band? lol)

I have no problems with you suggesting yourself, but it actually gets kinda hard once you get more people collaborating when you don't live next door and can just come around and record your parts whenever.
It's not as easy as just you sending your bass parts over, and then me just slotting it into the mix, there is all sorts of things to deal with like whether or not your tone in the first place is appropriate and fits the mix well enough and a whole bunch of other things I can't be bothered explaining right now.

It's just a pain to say "Can you re record that part again? and have to wait however many hours or so to receive the files so I can see if it works out well or not, a problem I wont get if I play the bass myself.

That said, I wont totally rule you out, because it's nothing against you, it's just about the pain in the butt things I would have to go through.
If I don't feel your stuff fits in the mix, I can always re record bass later, but if you can send me wav files of your playing so I can learn the stuff more quickly on bass (I haven't learnt any Paramore on bass yet, only guitar so far), I would definitely give you credit for helping out despite not having your parts appear in the final mix.

Yeah, it's a nuisance to tune it that way for Paramore songs...
Hey, in case you want to check it out, I posted a Little Wing cover on the first page of this thread. I also created a thread for my stuff which has one Paramore cover and one original song I was hoping to get some comments on. *hint*

That is why you buy a 7 string guitar, lol.
What's awesome about having a 7 string is that for a lot of songs that require down tuning on a 6 string, you simply just transpose stuff so it works on the 7 string.
Of course, this doesn't always work, especially if you try to play technical stuff where the stretches are going to be just too big playing it transposed on a 7 string tuned B E A D G B E, but for stuff like Paramore, I am completely able to play their stuff that is in other tunings without re tuning my guitar.
Wanna play Fences? No Worries.
Wanna play Decode? No Worries, no retuning!
7 strings cop that flack as being the nu metal instrument, but screw the haters.
I'm never going back to playing 6 strings full time, 7 string necks are more ergonomic, allows a bit more sustain IMHO, offers more possibilities for soloing and of course, opens up possibilities for really big chords that simply aren't possible on a 6 string.
I hugely recommend you get 7 string, it really expands your options so much.

#48 hairawr

hairawr

• 755 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:31 AM

^ I agree with you with the complexities if I wanted to put bass tracks down. I said that more or less as a "joke" (if you will). I don't have the best equipment either [all I have is a pc mic (its actually a pretty decent quality mic), and I would record with audacity)] so that would make it sound even more ratty if my tone is off or it just doesn't sound right. However, I would like to give it a go just for craps and laughs.
— John Butler

#49 Harry

Harry

 

• 5,393 posts
  • Locationfaggottown

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:52 AM

^Definite no no if you're gonna record using Audacity lol.
I've running Ableton Live 8 Suite, which is basically a professional level program up there with Pro Tools and Cubase etc.
You're probably hyper jealous and all, but to be fair I'm not rich at all, I am just lucky that my sister lives in Germany and literally works for Ableton, so I saved myself 1300 AUD.
I've had this damn program since April this year and two months later it's still confusing at times, it's just so ridiculously feature packed and complex.
If it's any consolation, I don't even own a guitar amp (I run a second hand Line 6 POD X3 Live into studio monitors, which is reasonable I guess since studio monitors are useful for mixing) and I bought my 7 string (mind you, it's used guitar too) and POD out of my own money (from back in the days when I had a job, I'm a jobless bum now:mrgreen:)

Send me a few bass tracks for shits and giggles, nothing more hilarious than stuff recording via a PC microphone going into freeware like Audacity:mrgreen:

#50 SalsaC

SalsaC

- -

• 2,647 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:08 AM

Cannot freakin' wait for PTH stuff. Anything off Fortress would be killer.

That sounds like you haven't heard Kezia, and you need to fix that right away. If I'll cover a song from Fortress, it will be Bloodmeat. No doubt about it.

#51 hairawr

hairawr

• 755 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:52 PM

^Definite no no if you're gonna record using Audacity lol.
I've running Ableton Live 8 Suite, which is basically a professional level program up there with Pro Tools and Cubase etc.
You're probably hyper jealous and all, but to be fair I'm not rich at all, I am just lucky that my sister lives in Germany and literally works for Ableton, so I saved myself 1300 AUD.
I've had this damn program since April this year and two months later it's still confusing at times, it's just so ridiculously feature packed and complex.
If it's any consolation, I don't even own a guitar amp (I run a second hand Line 6 POD X3 Live into studio monitors, which is reasonable I guess since studio monitors are useful for mixing) and I bought my 7 string (mind you, it's used guitar too) and POD out of my own money (from back in the days when I had a job, I'm a jobless bum now:mrgreen:)

Send me a few bass tracks for shits and giggles, nothing more hilarious than stuff recording via a PC microphone going into freeware like Audacity:mrgreen:

I might just have to torrent that program then :D But I'll see what I can do.

Also, in no way am I jealous at all. I get free software too (my dad has an msdn account and I get free microsoft software like any operating system). A question about that software you mentioned: would it sound semi decent if I used my super-spectacular pc mic, or would I need to get direct input?

Also, there is nothing wrong with buying used equipment. I am currently on the hunt for a used Stingray 5, and boy is it going to be difficult because I am picky as ever (HAS to be a maple neck and HAS to be a light color ie: either white or natural)
— John Butler

#52 Harry

Harry

 

• 5,393 posts
  • Locationfaggottown

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:59 PM

That sounds like you haven't heard Kezia, and you need to fix that right away. If I'll cover a song from Fortress, it will be Bloodmeat. No doubt about it.

Oh no, I've got A Calculated Use of Sound and Kezia too, don't worry about that, I listen to PTH at least 3 days a week.
I'm just saying if it's off Fortress, it would be super awesome because that's my favorite work from the band thus so far.
Cover Blindfolds Aside too! Someone has to quickly hand you an acoustic guitar for the last section lol.

I might just have to torrent that program then :D But I'll see what I can do.

Also, in no way am I jealous at all. I get free software too (my dad has an msdn account and I get free microsoft software like any operating system). A question about that software you mentioned: would it sound semi decent if I used my super-spectacular pc mic, or would I need to get direct input?

Also, there is nothing wrong with buying used equipment. I am currently on the hunt for a used Stingray 5, and boy is it going to be difficult because I am picky as ever (HAS to be a maple neck and HAS to be a light color ie: either white or natural)

I really wouldn't torrent Ableton. It's an absolutely massive program.
What you can download, legally and for free however, is Reaper. If you like the program you can buy it eventually if you're a good hearted man:P but yeah, it has full functionality without needing to pay a cent.
There are plenty of guys getting truly world class professional results with Reaper, so I recommend you give it a spin.
If I wasn't using Ableton and had no money, I would have been using Reaper.

For recording bass, I could say just wait 'til you win the lottery, buy uber expensive cables, bass amp heads/cabinets etc and go to a pro studio.
But I wont (but sadly I already did).
Well okay, so here's how it is (time for lots of text):
Basically, you need a certain level of gear and software before you can get stuff that sounds pretty damn good.
You're covered on the software side of things with Reaper fortunately.
Also fortunately, in today's day and age there is tons of VST plugs in meaning you no longer have to go out and buy outboard physical hardware compressors, limiters, reverb units etc etc.
In Audio Engineering terms, this approach of recording using solely digital plug ins with no outboard gear is called doing it "In The Box" (ITB).
Due to me being poor and jobless and the fact there is so many amazing high quality VST plugs in that are totally free to download, I do all my stuff ITB.
And there is nothing wrong with that at all, because nowadays even world class producers/engineers are using this approach, Andy Sneap coming to mind (you might be familiar with his productions if you're into a fair bit of modern metal, stuff made from the late 90s onwards).
He's done Arch Enemy stuff, 2 Killswitch albums, the last two Megadeth albums (well, as in United Abominations and the one that is coming out soonish),3 Nevermore albums, Opeth's "Deliverance album", some Exodus.
Basically listen to that stuff for awesome production values:mrgreen:

Anyway, back to what I was saying.
Hardware wise, for getting a good quality result your PC mic is about as useful as a helicopter ejector seat. It just cannot be done.
My advice is to just save up a decent wad of cash and buy a high quality recording interface and also possible a Direct injection box too.
Assuming you've got a good and fairly fast computer that is all you really need to achieve high quality recorded bass tones recording. You don't need to spend 10s of thousands of dollars luckily.
The rest is really knowing how to use the software and hardware once you have it and of course, having a good ear for good tone is absolutely essential.
I can't say my stuff sounds amazing yet, production wise since I am only basically just in the beginning stages of learning audio engineering, but hopefully what I do know so far can help other people anyway.
Feel free to ask more questions now or later down the track.

#53 hairawr

hairawr

• 755 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:31 AM

I sent you a PM.
— John Butler

#54 Harry

Harry

 

• 5,393 posts
  • Locationfaggottown

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:42 AM

Replied.

#55 Harry

Harry

 

• 5,393 posts
  • Locationfaggottown

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:49 AM

Pekka you bastard when's your Bloodmeat cover going to surface?

#56 SalsaC

SalsaC

- -

• 2,647 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:28 AM

Time is neither a motive nor a boundary when art is being created. SUCK IT UP.

#57 Ignorance

Ignorance

奇妙なサーカス

• 4,217 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:23 PM

Looky. herey.

I love it.

「時間」という名の支配者に操られて

#58 Wildman

Wildman

Reach for the stars so if you fall you land on a cloud

• 16,065 posts
  • LocationWest Dundee, Illinois

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:38 PM

^ I've seen that, it's a great cover!

Posted Image

Sig Credit: Me

#59 Ignorance

Ignorance

奇妙なサーカス

• 4,217 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:39 PM

yeah.

「時間」という名の支配者に操られて

#60 Harry

Harry

 

• 5,393 posts
  • Locationfaggottown

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:48 PM

Time is neither a motive nor a boundary when art is being created. SUCK IT UP.

You've had well over a month bitch:twisted:
You learning it by ear or something rather than taking the easy way out with tabs?
I tend to go by ear for when I learn stuff, feels more rewarding that way.
I only resort to tabs when I absolutely cannot pick out particular parts by ear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq