Confession Thread - Part 9

Catie

Music Business. Gross.

A failing, crappy, collapsing industry.

I was almost going go to go to an audio engineering school and then I found out most of the people that study it at home by themselves on average do significantly better than people that do the course/s.

:o Why are you the coolest person alive right now.

hahaha

Haha, um... I dunno? lol

Music Business. Gross.

A failing, crappy, collapsing industry.

I was almost going go to go to an audio engineering school and then I found out most of the people that study it at home by themselves on average do significantly better than people that do the course/s.

You are thoroughly mistaken. Whatever they're teaching you in Australia about the music industry is wrong. Record labels are going out, but management and touring is booming.

The problem with record labels going out is that it means it's brought down some major studios with it, because less and less bands are getting the financial backing to be able to afford to record at those studios.

Which in itself is both a great and terrible thing at the same. It means bedroom audio engineer n00bs like myself are more likely to get potential business, but the average quality of productions drops as a result.

More and more "disposable" artists are becoming more popular and since that music is considered so disposable anyway, a lot of people don't feel the need to pay for that kind of music, which again is detrimental to big studios.

I mean sure enough, that means some good shit for live bookings etc, but there are still a lot of us, myself included that like a certain magic of studio recordings and I'd hate to see them go away entirely in favor of just live performances.

Studios wont go away entirely. Believe me. As long as there are musicians and music loves good studios will be around, even if it means labels are out. There are three professional studios in the basement of my university that aren't associated with labels at all... and my professors at a music focused school are encouraging the downfall of major labels. These are experts I'm talking about.

I'm sure the music industry is going to be just fine.

Studios wont go away entirely. Believe me. As long as there are musicians and music loves good studios will be around, even if it means labels are out. There are three professional studios in the basement of my university that aren't associated with labels at all... and my professors at a music focused school are encouraging the downfall of major labels. These are experts I'm talking about.

I'm sure the music industry is going to be just fine.

I know they wont go entirely go away, that's a given.

I still question whether it's worth starting my own "Home" studio though.

I've spent a lot of my life not knowing what I've wanted to do, and suddenly six months ago my sister spent me this expensive recording/audio mixing program and since then I discovered I have a passion for audio engineering.

I get this feeling I should just get a degree relating to something with computers, rather than saving up, starting a studio and falling flat on my face being totally broke:( I love music to death (I play 2 instruments, am considering getting singing lessons) but there really doesn't seem a lot of demand for the kind of music I want to specifically focus on

I confess I'm getting off in 20 odd minutes, and you know what i'ma do? curl my hair in a way so i don't look arsetarded. if theres a will theres a way. and, that blinky thing that looks a teeny bit like an I thats always with you when you type just disappeared O_O

It just bothers me that I've dedicated an insanely large portion of my life in the last 4 and a half years to music (be it guitar for the last 4 and a half years, bass guitar in the last year, and audio engineering in the last 6 months) and I will probably never really get to truly use any skills/talents I developed.

Sometimes I wonder "What's the point?" you know?

As far as the near future looks, one of my friends want to record, mix and master a rock/metal song for him (I'm actually getting paid) but otherwise I have no idea what I'm doing

It just bothers me that I've dedicated an insanely large portion of my life in the last 4 and a half years to music (be it guitar for the last 4 and a half years, bass guitar in the last year, and audio engineering in the last 6 months) and I will probably never really get to truly use any skills/talents I developed.

Sometimes I wonder "What's the point?" you know?

As far as the near future looks, one of my friends want to record, mix and master a rock/metal song for him (I'm actually getting paid) but otherwise I have no idea what I'm doing

I totally understand man.

But at least this thing you friend wants you to do is a start. You never know, things could totally pick up after that.

Well I hope it does too.

Not that I don't get out and have fun, because I do that in between my musical interests and I have plenty of friends, but I don't even own a game console and have literally no games on my computer, because as fun as they are to play and stuff, I realized that if I'm going to be good at any of this stuff I have to make the sacrifice and spend a large amount of the the time I do spend at home playing my instruments and learning to mix. I probably spend all up each day, 6 hours playing guitar, bass guitar and mixing, sometimes up to 8 hours.

I'm thinking of just saying "Fuck it, just learn to mix multiple styles of rock and be a jack of all trades" rather than trying to become great at mixing metal, because there isn't a particular big market for that kind of music.

A lot of people think "Ehh, both metal and rock use the same instruments and shiz, so it should be the same to mix" but it's really not, it's quite a different thing to mix something like VersaEmerge as it would death metal haha

No one is good at it when they first start off.

My first ever clip is SOOOOOOOOO embarrassing.

People that have heard my first ever clip and hear where I've gotten now have been quite impressed with my progress.

If it interests you, I'm uploading a clip now. And there's a thing I posted in the Musicians forum which shows where I'm at now compared to my first shitty clip.

Maybe it could encourage you enough and make you believe you can progress at it haha