Mix Magazine

Chriss

This awesome guy, mr_raccoon, just posted about this on LJ, and I thought it was pretty awesome. Mix Magazine, which is a huge industry magazine for sound engineers and producers, did an interview with Paramore's FOH engineer Jason Decter and their monitor engineer Travis Bing. It's all live tech stuff, but I know that there are a few people here who are interested in that, and for everyone else, there are some other cool facts.

Here's the link:

http://mixonline.com/live_sound/tours/paramore-tour-profile-0110/

My favorite part:

"I rely heavily on audience mics and sidefills to make the band feel like they're not wearing in-ears. Hayley feeds off of the crowd, and being able to hear them while hearing herself clearly is key to her performance."

If you don't know, in-ears are what allow the band to hear each other on stage (cause it's freakin' loud up there). This usually means they can't hear the crowd... the fact that Hayley needs to hear the crowd to perform is something to be admired. :)

so that's why bands always yell "I CAN'T HEAR YOU" even though everyone's yelling pretty dang loud...

;-)

Hahaha, "I can't hear you!!!... no, seriously. I really can't."

Getting fitted for in-ears/ear plugs is scary. They basically stick Silly Putty in your ear and wait for it to harden into a mold, so for 5 minutes, you can't hear anything.