Oh great.. another problem..

The Drummer

Since a lot of you on here are adults, I'm going to post this here.

I got my driver's permit late, specifically April 2010. I went to a driving school to get it.

So I have been waiting for the past six months until October to get my license.

Yesterday, while going to schedule my test for this Monday. The DMV told my dad that my permit was invalid. They blamed the driving school I went to and told us to sue them and take their license away.

My dad called the driving school and apparently they're scared and have no clue what to do.

Apparently the written test I took was expired and the driving school said it was okay anyways. So my permit has been invalid all this time. I drove illegally for six months, if I got into an accident... that would not be good.

I can not wait another six months of not driving. I can not do it.

I need a car to drive to my college classes, I need a car to get a job, and I need a car to just get to places.

I've already spent my whole senior year without driving and it's been the worst, I can't imagine spending another six months without being able to drive.

The driving school better fix this problem, I am not waiting until next April. I'm hoping I can just re-take the written test and somehow have an exception. I've already have my six months of supervised driving right?

This is such bullshit and this is honestly the last thing I need right now.

With girlfriend problems, college kicking my ass... I just don't need this.

Well you have alright to complain about at this point!

I hope things will turn around for you!

And for now i only can give you hug. :hug:

Yeah, I really hope everything works out in the end.

I literally can't live without a car at this point.. I need places to go. I don't live in New York City where cars aren't needed

I'm not sure if it's the same in New Jersey, but here in Illinois, driving schools cant give learner's permits, only the Secretary of State can give them at the DMV. I'd say go ahead and sue them if this is the case.

I'm not sure if it's the same in New Jersey, but here in Illinois, driving schools cant give learner's permits, only the Secretary of State can give them at the DMV. I'd say go ahead and sue them if this is the case.

Driving schools here can give permits, I'm pretty sure. That's why we paid them..

Apparently my instructor forgot to get my permit stamped for validation... :neutral:

that's complete bullshit. If you pass your road test, what difference does it make whether your permit was valid or not? If it was invalid, they should be ticketing you for all those months of illegal driving and you should be passing those tickets onto the driving school for fucking you over, plus attorney fees. At the very least. I mean honestly, if you never drove a day in your life, then scheduled to take a road test and kicked ass on it, what reason could they possibly give to not let you have a license? This sounds like bureaucratic bullcrap where they're trying to find new innovate ways to make money.

that's complete bullshit. If you pass your road test, what difference does it make whether your permit was valid or not? If it was invalid, they should be ticketing you for all those months of illegal driving and you should be passing those tickets onto the driving school for fucking you over, plus attorney fees. At the very least. I mean honestly, if you never drove a day in your life, then scheduled to take a road test and kicked ass on it, what reason could they possibly give to not let you have a license? This sounds like bureaucratic bullcrap where they're trying to find new innovate ways to make money.

If I have to wait another six months, I don't even know what I'll do.

It;s obvious I have the experience.. I've done everything I had to do.

It's the school's fault that fucked me over.

I just don't get why you have to have a permit for a certain amount of time. If you got your permit, practiced day and night and felt like you were ready to take and pass a road test 2 weeks later, what reason do they have to not let you take it and pass it and get a license? Why is there a 6 month waiting period? Now granted, when I was learning to drive, I had a lot of major flaws. I still do, 13 years after getting my permit (in terms of doing things that would cause me to fail a road test if I had to take one again, though they're common practice things like cutting left turns a little short because no one makes left turns the way they're supposed to). But if you can prove to be responsible and safe, why should they deny you regardless of how many months you had a permit?

the only reason I took drivers ed was to accelerate the process and get my senior license at 17 instead of 18. My parents (god bless their patience) taught me how to drive, so while I was doing drivers ed, I already knew pretty much everything. at least the basics, I was obviously not the smoothest driver in the world. These things come with experience and doing it every goddamn morning at 5 fucking 30.

Anyway, I think you should definitely sue the driver school.

6 months is nothing

it's a year wait here, and that's for a 'graduated' licence

takes a couple years to get a full class 5

Six months is nothing.

But waiting an EXTRA six months for no reason... that pisses me off.

I already waited my six months, I'm not waiting another because of someone else's careless mistake.

and I have to wait a full year after getting my provisional license to get my "basic license"

is this a New Jersey rule? I honestly don't know any states rules anymore. When I got my permit (NY) the written test was 5 questions, I got 2 wrong because I didn't study up on signs and got two obscure signs I've never seen and still have never seen, but that was good enough to pass back then. I scheduled my first road test (stupidly) on my own, and promptly failed because I didn't signal to make my parallel park (for the record, I parallel park every morning and have never signaled to do it) then waited 3 months to take my second try at it. It wasn't the rule that I had to wait though, it's just that it was the first time I could get scheduled for. I've heard it's a lot more difficult in NY now to even get a permit. 20 question test or something like that.

in Jersey you take your test, it's def more than 5 questions, and if you pass you can either take 6 hours of driving at a driving school when you are 16 and then you get your permit OR wait until you are 17 and just get your permit, since you passed the test.

then once you have your permit you have to have it for at least 6 months then take your road test to get your provisional at 17 then you need that for at least one year then you get your basic license.

weird i know

is this a New Jersey rule? I honestly don't know any states rules anymore. When I got my permit (NY) the written test was 5 questions, I got 2 wrong because I didn't study up on signs and got two obscure signs I've never seen and still have never seen, but that was good enough to pass back then. I scheduled my first road test (stupidly) on my own, and promptly failed because I didn't signal to make my parallel park (for the record, I parallel park every morning and have never signaled to do it) then waited 3 months to take my second try at it. It wasn't the rule that I had to wait though, it's just that it was the first time I could get scheduled for. I've heard it's a lot more difficult in NY now to even get a permit. 20 question test or something like that.

The test is like 50 questions I think? I forgot.. I haven't taken it since my sophomore year in high school.

in Jersey you take your test, it's def more than 5 questions, and if you pass you can either take 6 hours of driving at a driving school when you are 16 and then you get your permit OR wait until you are 17 and just get your permit, since you passed the test.

then once you have your permit you have to have it for at least 6 months then take your road test to get your provisional at 17 then you need that for at least one year then you get your basic license.

weird i know

wait so I don't need to re-take that test anymore?

(if the dmv makes me)

I can just buy a permit?

Hopefully that's not the case though, because I should've gotten my permit in April :twisted: