Fiona Apple

thebrowncoat

I guess we don't have a Fiona Apple thread, but I'll start one with my thoughts from the show I saw tonight...

She may have had some rough shows lately, but tonight, Fiona Apple was spectacular.

I've seen her six times now and this was, by far, the best of the shows. She put so much passion, so much pain into every song - it was, at times, even a little frightening to watch. She seemed to wear the marks of it too - she had a couple of scratches on her chest that I imagine were self-inflicted...they might be from the show a few nights ago in CT where the sound was apparently horrible and she struggled to get through the whole set...

Anyway, the sound tonight was great (it was Wolf Trap, of course.) It was so hot that it turned Fiona into (her own words) an "inkblot" (she managed to soak the entire midsection of her dress with sweat :), but I was quite simply astounded by her performance. She gave it everything she had, put every bit of herself into every song and it was absolutely beautiful, powerful, moving...simply brilliant.

The setlist:

1. Get Him Back

2. To Your Love

3. Shadowboxer

4. The Way Things Are *

5. I Know

6. Sleep to Dream

7. Limp

8. Paperbag

9. Tymps

10. Oh Well

11. On the Bound

12. Red, Red, Red

13. Not About Love

14. Better Version of Me

15. Get Gone

16. Fast as You Can

Encore:

17. Sullen Girl *

18. Extraordinary Machine *

19. Criminal

* with David Garza

I think she's amazing. I've seen her twice. She comes off really bitter in her music (especially live). There's just so much angst that she employs in her live shows, I think she's an amazing performer.

Yep - there's a lot of anger that she lets out in her performances...she does it WAY more now than she used to...tonight, she was literally screaming at times (off mic) during the songs...

She used to be much more shy and reserved onstage...now she just lets it all out and it's amazing to watch...

It was so cool, the 2nd time I had seen her I was sitting next to the drummer who had recorded with her on her new album and he let us meet her before the headliner came on. This was when she was opening for Coldplay...

That is very cool...I met her quite awhile back, after When the Pawn... came out...got her to autograph my ticket stub out by her bus after the show...

That's an amazing setlist.

I've never seen her live, but I've liked her since I was about 8 or 9 haha.

I got my parents 6th row center tickets for her June 30th concert. They had such a great time. She performed at the same place 2 nights in a row, and said that the night before she had a 'crying attack' and that this show was going much better.

She's such an emotional person, and it really shows in her music. All her CDs are amazing.

That's an amazing setlist.

I've never seen her live' date=' but I've liked her since I was about 8 or 9 haha.

I got my parents 6th row center tickets for her June 30th concert. They had such a great time. She performed at the same place 2 nights in a row, and said that the night before she had a 'crying attack' and that this show was going much better.

She's such an emotional person, and it really shows in her music. All her CDs are amazing.[/quote']

Yeah, she's definitely very emotional. For that reason, every show's always going to be different - some are spectacular, some are really hard to watch.

Last night was definitely spectacular, though...

She always manages to look breathtaking on stage. I love all her dresses. I think I'll have to upload my vids and pics from my two Fiona shows later when I get home... too bad I didn't get to take a pic with her when I met her :[

Last night, she looked incredibly sweaty - her words :) Still gorgeous though. And that voice...absolutely incredible. There's not another singer out there with a voice like hers...

It was so hot though...it was like 100 degrees and 100% humidity when the show started...and it didn't get much cooler. To play 19 songs with the energy she did was astounding.

oh, fiona apple! ive loved her music since i was a kid, although maybe it's not really child-appropriate, aha. The other day i saw this special on elvis costello on vh1classic, and she was on it singing with him (as well as billie joe from green day, and death cab for cutie), and wow, she's just amazing. i love her voice, and she's just so passionate it's amazing to watch. i havent seen her live yet, only because my mom thinks shes crazy and wont let me haha. (lame, right?) lol, anyway,` her video for parting gift is on demand (comcast) and i watch it all the time. love love love her