getting more kids aware about suicide.

cheap_perfume

I knew of three people who committed suicide. None of them were close to me though thankfully (that kind of sounds bad, eh?)

Two girls committed suicide when I was in school. They were younger than me. One of them hanged them self, then about a week later her best friend did too... to be closer to her in the "after life".

The other person was a friend of one of my online friends. It apparently came out of nowhere, everyone was shocked. But the guy botched hanging himself... survived the attempt at hanging himself, but was brain dead and later died :( It's sad thinking about stuff like this. But yeah I think that there should be more emphasis put on suicide in schools when people are in their teens.

I just remembered a quote from "Dog The Bounty Hunter". Where they'd just caught this guy and Tim was talking to him in the car. He asked him if he wanted anything (they usually offer the people food, drink, cigarettes before putting them in jail). The guy said that he'd "take a rope". Tim replied by saying that "a rope is a permanent solution to a temporary problem" which I thought was really true. No matter how bad things may be in your life, you should never think about taking your own life.

For the people who do drugs and screw up their life to the point of suicide I have no remorse for, I also have no remorse for people with young children that commit suicide. However for the people who are abused as children and grew up in an environment that has left them severely depressed and hopeless, well thats a slightly different situation. Depression is not just a mental disorder but a disease and so it needs to be taken care of as quickly as possible before it becomes fatal just like any other disease.

That reminds me, there's this guy I know through work that was treated horrendously badly when he was a kid. Physical and Mental abuse from his father. God knows how he's hung in there I don't know (no pun intended). But he is a total mess most of the time, he's in and out of Hospital but I respect the hell out of him for actually "sticking at it" and not giving up. He could have so easily took his own life but hasn't.

make kids more aware of ?

Oh, fantastic ! here kids, before you have a chance to figure out your depression/insecurities, i have found a solution- KILL YOURSEELLFFF !!!!!111ONE

...no.

Suicide is too delicate just to be thrown in people's faces.

opinion>

okay, now thats offending. its not a joking matter, and this thread isn't to throw it in people's faces its to make people more aware to try to prevent it.

I didn't mean it in an offensive way- well, not a directly offensive way to anyone here. I have my personal views/opinions on this subject from a number of experiences and i'm not going to apologise for them- this sort of "raise awareness" thing can (not saying it will) have the exact opposite reaction to what you intend it to.

I'm not completely against this, by any means.

Just be careful.

I'm going to bring in self-harming as an example- and i know it's not the same thing, but an example is needed- so many people i know have been affected by this and have gone through this "phase". I don't know anyone in my year at school who hasn't got a safety pin and torn away at their arm, just because someone else has done it. It got alot of teen magazine coverage and the bottom line is it got far too much attention much too quickly.

If someone in my year hadn't been influenced by someone else self-harming and seeing the attention they received because of this (and don't get me wrong, some of these people genuinely had problems and were genuinely self-harming), it wouldn't have started a whole reaction which ultimately results in needless worrying on the friends part, and unnecessary pain, scars and even leading to an addiction of sorts for the other.

Is this making any sense ?

Suicide, yes is different and i'm not going to get personal on this subject- but the majority of teenagers crave attention. If suicide gains too much coverage in the wrong way, people may (or may not) start attempting suicide for attention, it could- and based on my shamefully low opinion of the human race is going to go wrong.

Also, some people who are seriously ill and depressed and just beyond help may not have even considered suicide before- if it's drawn to their attention in the wrong way, they'll do it.

I'm terrible at trying to justify my opinions in words, but there you have it for now. If i think of a few better words i'll write them later.

I see your point ^ at the same time a lot of things that people try and make awerness of or anything for that matter can have a really bad opposite affect, obviously not everything, just a few other big issues people try and resolve, if that makes sense. Always good and bad.

about a year ago something bad happened and changed my life, so i attempted suicide. Luckily didnt work, but it took me a while to get out of it. I have the best friends, but i didnt tell anyone what happened, but i couldnt get what happened out of my head, so i tried to end it, in my opinion, a selfish way. I understand how people dnt see it like that though when there living it, its the easiest option when your in that mind set. im not religious and i couldnt confide in the bible cos i thought at the time if "god" cared then why would he have let that happen to me in the first place, so why would he help me now? not to bash any religions...just how i felt at the time. So i see why people may not take religion, again just my opinion.

I still havent goten over what happened but i realised i had to snap out of it so i surrounded myself with my friends and family as much as i could.

I dunno how it can be raised to preent it more...not very good at thinking lol, but i guess, friends help a lot and religion if you believe in it, but i think you have to let people know its selfish, and stupid, and that there existence really does have a good purpose. Its harsh but direct, and in my experience effective. makes you think.

sorry such a long post!

i don't think people would kills themselves for attention. some people? yeah they might. most people? no. it's just too stupid. if they do it for attention, then they're losing a great life that they could've had. yeah they'll get attention, but they'll get it while they're rotting in the grave. and that's not how anyone should go out. negative things aren't intended for this awareness. more kids should be aware. okay so it may get a lot of coverage. GOOD. more people need to be freaking aware. a friend could be thinking about it, but you wouldn't know because you didn't know the signs that they could've possibly been showing. you wouldn't know what to say if someone was feeling this way. if this awareness were to happen in our school, it would teach kids how to talk to a person who's thinking about suicide. i mean people usually are like,"pft they won't do it." but saying things like that right there, make them want to do it even more, and people don't realize that. saying negative things to them make the victim hurt even more, and feel more alone. and that's not what is needed. people need to start respecting others. you don't like a person? that's fine. but that doesn't mean you should be an asshole because you never know what's going on in their life. you can say one little thing, and it would affect them.

kids should be more aware.

everyone should be more aware.

I see your point ^ at the same time a lot of things that people try and make awerness of or anything for that matter can have a really bad opposite affect, obviously not everything, just a few other big issues people try and resolve, if that makes sense. Always good and bad.

about a year ago something bad happened and changed my life, so i attempted . Luckily didnt work, but it took me a while to get out of it. I have the best friends, but i didnt tell anyone what happened, but i couldnt get what happened out of my head, so i tried to end it, in my opinion, a selfish way. I understand how people dnt see it like that though when there living it, its the easiest option when your in that mind set. im not religious and i couldnt confide in the bible cos i thought at the time if "god" cared then why would he have let that happen to me in the first place, so why would he help me now? not to bash any religions...just how i felt at the time. So i see why people may not take religion, again just my opinion.

I still havent goten over what happened but i realised i had to snap out of it so i surrounded myself with my friends and family as much as i could.

I dunno how it can be raised to preent it more...not very good at thinking lol, but i guess, friends help a lot and religion if you believe in it, but i think you have to let people know its selfish, and stupid, and that there existence really does have a good purpose. Its harsh but direct, and in my experience effective. makes you think.

sorry such a long post!

ok, so thats like, exactily my story. lol