The Sounds

stephler

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well I'd hate to bump a two month old thread but I didnt know it existed when I made mine. Maybe they can be merged. Anywho...... Thought this was interesting.

The Sounds Find Inspiration in Label Turmoil, the 'Goonies'

Swedish rockers the Sounds had all the makings of a band ready to break out after releasing their second album, 'Dying to Say This to You.' But, there was only one problem -- it seemed they were the only ones working to further their career. "We had a hard time on our old label in America, because they weren't working as hard as we were," singer Maja Ivarsson tells Spinner. "It was so heartbreaking to see the business side not making the same effort."

In response to the lack of help, the band ultimately decided to get out of their record deal and fire everyone around them who they thought wasn't pulling their weight. "It was important to make sure that we surround ourselves with people who are passionate about what we're doing as much as we are," Ivarsson says. Though lucrative offers poured in, the band opted to start their own label on their own terms. "The money won't make a good future for you -- you have to have good people," she says.

Though label woes can destroy many bands, the turmoil served as inspiration to the Sounds -- the name of their latest album, 'Crossing the Rubicon,' came from the group's feeling that they had passed the point of no return by taking charge of their destiny. "We were determined to make a better record than the last one," Ivarsson says, noting the band decided to work in studios in Sweden, New York and Los Angeles, all with different producers. "We get restless after a while, so it was good to go and experience a different kind of studio, a different kind of producer and a different environment," Ivarsson says. "It kept us on our toes and I think the songs got a lot more attention instead of giving 15 songs to one producer."

The chosen producers include Ima Robot's Tim Anderson, Mark Saunders and Tinted Windows' Adam Schlesinger and James Iha (Smashing Pumpkins), who first brought the group to America. "With our sound, it was great to give the electronic stuff to Mark, who's done a lot of work for the Cure and Human League, and give the more anthemic rock songs to James and Adam," Ivarsson says. "It was actually James who signed us in 2003, and brought us to America. He played saxophone on our first album and hung out in the studio for our second, so it's like a tradition of having him involved."

As the album's June 2nd release date approaches, the Sounds are supporting No Doubt on their reunion summer tour. "It's so flattering to be a part of it," Ivarsson says. "They're one of the sweetest bands I've ever met. On the first night, they gave us a present of DVDs, like 'The Goonies,' 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' and the British 'Office,' to watch on our tour bus, which was the perfect gift since we didn't have any movies." As for what fans can expect from the band's nightly 25-minute sets, Ivarsson says to expect a fun sampling of the band's best. "I think we're pretty good at getting the crowds in a good mood to have a good time," she says. "This is our biggest passion. We love what we're doing."br />

• 2 weeks later...