Bullying

MSkeleton

I don't really think I've been properly bullied. In second year there was a phase where a girl picked on me and it got me a bit down but it wasn't anything too serious, just juvenile rubbish.

I also don't think anyone would properly bully me because with things like that I simply don't give a shit. I don't let stuff bother me.

The thing I hate the most are the people who say bad things about someone's outside appearance.

So many insecurities are made from them, which don't have to happen. It's not like somebody chose to have the body they have.

There's a difference between talking about it with someone else and telling it to the person's face. When they choose to tell it to them to their face, it shows how shallow those people really are. I would never say something like that to someone's face.

I am skinny. Some people say that's good, but some people say it in a negative way.

It's just how I am, I can eat 5 cheeseburgers in a day and not gain a pound.. it's just how my body is.

When people say something about my weight, it hurts A LOT because I always hear it and there's nothing I can do about it.

Dude, that's bullshit.

I always hear the "Ohh it's just how it is, I can't gain weight because of my metabolism" thing, and you know what?

It's complete fucking bullshit.

I used to be quite skinny, and I hated it and wanted to do something about it. Now that I lift weights and eat, like properly eat, I realized what a bullshit excuse the "My metabolism is so high omfg!" thing was. Knowing I could actually do something about it and not have to be skinny for the rest of my life made me feel so much better.

I'm not exactly a tank yet (only been working out for 4 months, and the first few weeks I stumbled along with not much knowledge of what supplements to buy, how to do various exercises etc), and my upper body is still fairly slim because my long arms make it hard for me to really get good on bench press and develop a good upper body at a good pace (but nonetheless, my chest and arms are not as small as they used to be), but my upper legs are no longer the sticks they once were, and to an extent my calves are not that skinny anymore either.

What about that Taylor Lautner dude? Don't like Twilight at all, but girls seemed to go apeshit over him, and judging from his before bulking up pictures, he was like us in that he had a fast metabolism and was not genetically coded to be naturally strong.

He made huge chances in his physique, because he pushed himself and wanted it. He ate a lot, trained well and got the results.

If you don't want to hear about how you're skinny anymore, do something about it. I got sick of looking at the skinny, weak as piss guy in the mirror every morning when I woke up, so I decided I'll do something about it and there's nothing to stop you from doing something about it either.

Most of my life has been pretty much fucked mentally, and it's partly due to bullying. It was evident from as early as preschool that I was not a "normal" child by any stretch of the imagination.

I had severe coordination problems that forced me to be kept back a year in kindergarten. At the time of course it didn't really occur to me, but I remember not even being able to hold scissors properly, hold pencils properly, hold balls properly, all these things all the other kids did without effort.

In Primary school (otherwise known as Elementary), I was teased and harassed soon within the first year.

Although I don't really like violence, I did have to beat up quite a few kids so that they would stop giving me shit all the time. Kicked this dude in the head in grade 3 after I got him on the ground, and he left me alone after that. Obviously not an honorable way to fight, kicking someone when they're on the ground, but fuck it, I did it anyway because I had years of anger inside I needed to let out.

When high school came around, I had no friends in most of my classes in year 7 and was constantly picked on. Some chick even just randomly punched me in the gut for no reason.

By year 9, school had gotten more fun, but year 10 came and then the shit started again in full force. The Lebanese community at the senior campus (year 7-9 was at a different, junior campus) really didn't like me or any of my friends, as basically we were the metalheads, and metalheads of course were a rare breed and obviously those who are different and misunderstood are gonna get targeted.

One friend of mine got harassed by this New Zealander kid so much to the point where my friend brought a 12 inch adjustable wrench to school and hit him on the head with it. New Zealander dude had go to hospital, and my friend, who was my best friend at the time, had to leave the school.

Made me even more depressed than I already was, and soon after I befriended the ugliest, fattest girl in the school, because I was pretty much the only guy who could see her for what she was, which was a really intelligent, talented and caring person. So on top of constantly getting asked why my other friend had beat that guy on the head, I constantly got the "Ohh, Harry loves Mary-Lee" thing.

I never dated her because of the whole complete lack of physical attraction thing (yeah, fuck all the haters coming with in "You're shallow", fuck, at least I had the decency to look past her physical attributes and become a good caring friend to her).

Finally, by year 11, the bullying towards me died down a lot, and by the second semester of year 11, I never really got bullied anymore. I just got accepted in school, most likely because I was considered witty and was in general a class clown type of dude that would have most of the class laughing. That was kinda cool, because I never had to change who I was, I was still the awkward, weird, eccentric dude, but people just accepted it and went with it.

As it stands, I've spent a lot of my life stricken with mental illness. I've been diagnosed with two different anxiety disorders, and quite frankly I doubt that's where it ends, because I can look up various mental illnesses and their symptoms, like Bipolar Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and a few others and can safely say I've experienced them. Mental illness has caused major setbacks in my life and at times was completely crippling. I used to cut myself, used to drink everyday and smoke everyday, and never exercised and ate nothing but shitty food. That's changed now. I'm living healthy, rarely ever touch alcohol anymore, don't smoke, eat healthy and workout, because when you've got mental illnesses, you've gotta treat your body right, otherwise your mind will go down with it. Gotta keep busy and keep physically healthy.

I've come to accept my anxiety wont ever go away, that sometimes I still feel empty and hopeless, that I definitely wash my hands more times than a normal person would in a day, but I've got to the point where it's manageable.

I can play two instruments, study audio engineering and now have also started body building, and I don't let my mental problems be excuses that get in the way of those things. I could just become lazy, over eat and get fat, live a comfortable life with no challenges and ambitions, but fuck that, I want to prove something to those bullies, and but mostly to myself, that I can stand strong and on my own two feet.

I know that was long winded, but if anyone read that and learnt anything from it about me or even themselves, or was interested in what they read, awesome.

^ I read all. I understand the most part of it. I think it's great of you, you where friends with that girl. Because you both needed someone, and it doesn't matter how someone looks, it about the personality someone has.

And unfortunately most people forget that. And judge people about their appearance.

Thats why so many people are bullied!

Why does it matter so much how someone looks? Or someone likes diffrent music? Or what clothes someone wears!

And many people who bullied someone, and later gets to know the person or years or passed by,

they think, shit thats a awesome person. Why did i bullied her/him?

Dude, that's bullshit.

I always hear the "Ohh it's just how it is, I can't gain weight because of my metabolism" thing, and you know what?

It's complete fucking bullshit.

I used to be quite skinny, and I hated it and wanted to do something about it. Now that I lift weights and eat, like properly eat, I realized what a bullshit excuse the "My metabolism is so high omfg!" thing was. Knowing I could actually do something about it and not have to be skinny for the rest of my life made me feel so much better.

I'm not exactly a tank yet (only been working out for 4 months, and the first few weeks I stumbled along with not much knowledge of what supplements to buy, how to do various exercises etc), and my upper body is still fairly slim because my long arms make it hard for me to really get good on bench press and develop a good upper body at a good pace (but nonetheless, my chest and arms are not as small as they used to be), but my upper legs are no longer the sticks they once were, and to an extent my calves are not that skinny anymore either.

I'm skinny but I'm not unhappy with it. I'm just as fit as the next guy, normally takes about a solid hour of football before I'm really exhausted and that's only if I'm playing on the wing. I earned black belts in three different martial arts weighing less than I do right now. My thighs and calves are, and I quote, "built like steel". Normally average about 27 press-ups in 30 seconds. The problem, with me, is that mostly all of the exercise I do is cardio-vascular based and, as such, less time is spent on muscle building/local muscular endurance which is why I look as skinny as I am.

I'm not entirely sure what my point is or where I'm going with it. I agree with Harry though, if you're not happy, do something about it. I guess what I was trying to say is that you shouldn't be unhappy about weighing less than anyone else cause you can still do everything these bigger guys can do. If you're really that unhappy with your weight then try to bulk up. Otherwise, do a Kurt Cobain and wear several layers of clothing to hide it for the rest of your life.

Yeah, I actually used to be an endurance/cardiovascular based exercise dude myself. Could do 100 pushups non stop, would run 3 runs a day week. This was back when I was 14. Stopped running regularly, then started skateboarding, and I could skate for hours and hours and not feel worn out.

Sometime in 2007, the exercise totally stopped, and became a party animal. Was starting to see some noticeable visual fat on my body for the first time, no doubt the product of going to this chick's house on weekends that I was dating, eating almost the entire tub of icecream and then the extra calories from drinking about 14 bottles of beer lol.

Great thing about weight training is that it has given me so much more focus in life in general and it's made me have less reason to have a shit excuse for not doing something.

Not being naturally genetically coded for muscle gains has not discouraged me in the slightest. If anything, it's only given me more motivation, because there's this sorta thrill of the challenge thing going on.

Only really need to dedicate 3-4 hours a week to the actual physical lifting too and I think anyone can find 3-4 hours in their week.

"cause you can still do everything these bigger guys can do"

Would not say that's true. When you can lift more, your quality of life goes up, seriously.

I live with one of my aunties, and she has to rely on me sometimes to help lift things (sometimes I can even just go and lift stuff entirely by myself without needing her help, stuff she simply couldn't lift by herself). Same as for my mom when she comes to visit. Sometimes she literally can't open a jar or something, and I can just walk into the kitchen, and do it easily because I have a significantly better grip strength that I've developed through doing Deadlifts, static bar holds and weighted chinups (literally putting weight in a backpack to increase the resistance).

In today's first world society, it's not really necessary to be able to run 25 miles/40kms, but you will frequently encounter the need to lift heavy objects.

If you have the physical strength, understand the correct technique and understand the mechanics of lifting with the human body, you are at a clear advantage.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been bullied a lot, especially at primary school. I hate the fact I couldn't stand up for myself that time, for some reason. Now I'm stronger and I wish I was at primary school.

I wish I wasn't bullied so much, I'm sure I would be a happier person now and have more friends.