getting more kids aware about suicide.

cheap_perfume

I'm going to bring in self-harming as an example- and i know it's not the same thing, but an example is needed- so many people i know have been affected by this and have gone through this "phase". I don't know anyone in my year at school who hasn't got a safety pin and torn away at their arm, just because someone else has done it. It got alot of teen magazine coverage and the bottom line is it got far too much attention much too quickly.

If someone in my year hadn't been influenced by someone else self-harming and seeing the attention they received because of this (and don't get me wrong, some of these people genuinely had problems and were genuinely self-harming), it wouldn't have started a whole reaction which ultimately results in needless worrying on the friends part, and unnecessary pain, scars and even leading to an addiction of sorts for the other.

Is this making any sense ?

Suicide, yes is different and i'm not going to get personal on this subject- but the majority of teenagers crave attention. If suicide gains too much coverage in the wrong way, people may (or may not) start attempting suicide for attention, it could- and based on my shamefully low opinion of the human race is going to go wrong.

Also, some people who are seriously ill and depressed and just beyond help may not have even considered suicide before- if it's drawn to their attention in the wrong way, they'll do it.

I'm terrible at trying to justify my opinions in words, but there you have it for now. If i think of a few better words i'll write them later.

Yeah everyone has there opinions..

But not every one self harms to follow other people..

Like you said..

But your putting it across in a way that makes it sound as everyone does it for attention.

Some people have real problems and they get overlooked because of the attention seekers..

But hmm if we think about it if people are trying to attention so much that they need to self harm that is also a worry..

But hmm everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.

Yeah and i agree with cheap_perfume! Not just kids need to be aware everyone does.. !!!!!

hmm...thats a hard question to answer...but in my opinion suicide isnt selfish, but its a temptation thats given right in your face through hard times. ive never attempted but i know people who have and succeeded =\ tht person is in a much better place than where she was

i was watching degrassi the other day and i saw the one about ellie's cutting issue. she said "it was the only pain she can control" thats what i think people are thinking when they attempt. nothing's worse than to know who commited suicide or attempted. but its definately not selfish, your actually being selfish thinking that the person's being selfish [that's confusing!]

a person who commits or attempts suicide is very very hurt and doesnt want to deal with the problems anymore.

i guess in a way, its relief during hard-life problems...twloha is an awesome way to prevent cutting and even worse, suicide.

i know, i may be too young to know all this, but i am old enough to feel the hard pain of losing someone you love over suicide

Well , first of all , that's a great idea that you had :D

And just terrible with the suicide , I'll pray for him and his family , it really

leaves you with many questions when someone commite suicide , But

good luck to you , with the idea thing =)

^ thank you. =)

so i found out that evan (the boy who killed himself) talked about it, but no one took him seriously. i just think people need to be taken seriously, ya know? except if they're doing it sarcastically, like making a gun out of their hand and putting it to their head cause they're bored.

well...i dunno ive never been depressed and prolly will never ever be cuz im always doing somethin aint got no time to be...maybe kids who are depressed need to go to the military or somethin...they might make them quit cryin, who knows...

I don't think going into the military and having somebody scream in your face at boot camp would help.

I'm not going to shoot down your opinion, but I really don't think you're grasping the complexity of the situation. A lot of people who commit suicide are severely depressed or have a mental illness, such as being bipolar. They're not crazy, in fact you could compare it to having cancer, they have a medical issue that they didn't choose and that they didn't cause. It's a medical issue, and it's usually something that can be fixed with medication, but they don't know that. That's why the thread was started, not to throw suicide in people's faces (as somebody stated) but to make people aware of the symptoms so they can get help, help others, and prevent future suicides.

I'm going to bring in self-harming as an example- and i know it's not the same thing, but an example is needed- so many people i know have been affected by this and have gone through this "phase". I don't know anyone in my year at school who hasn't got a safety pin and torn away at their arm, just because someone else has done it. It got alot of teen magazine coverage and the bottom line is it got far too much attention much too quickly.

If someone in my year hadn't been influenced by someone else self-harming and seeing the attention they received because of this (and don't get me wrong, some of these people genuinely had problems and were genuinely self-harming), it wouldn't have started a whole reaction which ultimately results in needless worrying on the friends part, and unnecessary pain, scars and even leading to an addiction of sorts for the other.

Is this making any sense ?

I totally get you on that.

A couple of years ago I found out my friend cut, I was having a rough time too and in a moment of stupidity I tried it to see if it'd help release my mental pain and got hooked on it.Then both another friend & my now ex found out and started doing it too. I was horrified & I wrongly or rightly, I still blame myself for influencing them & tried to stop in the hope that they would too.

She did, he ended up using it partially as a bargining tool to get me to stop, like if I did it, he did it too but he had his problems too and tried to hang himself then nearly threw himself in front of a train twice. Thankfully I managed to talk him out of it. I don't cut anymore but however rough things get for me, I would never have the guts to kill myself from nearly knowing what it's like to loose someone like that and the pain it caused me which was so much worse than anything else going on in my life then.

Also personally, I've tried to find God but I've had the whole " why would he let my life get like this" arguement going on in my head and I can't push it to one side.

I totally get you on that.

A couple of years ago I found out my friend cut, I was having a rough time too and in a moment of stupidity I tried it to see if it'd help release my mental pain and got hooked on it.Then both another friend & my now ex found out and started doing it too. I was horrified & I wrongly or rightly, I still blame myself for influencing them & tried to stop in the hope that they would too.

She did, he ended up using it partially as a bargining tool to get me to stop, like if I did it, he did it too but he had his problems too and tried to hang himself then nearly threw himself in front of a train twice. Thankfully I managed to talk him out of it. I don't cut anymore but however rough things get for me, I would never have the guts to kill myself from nearly knowing what it's like to loose someone like that and the pain it caused me which was so much worse than anything else going on in my life then.

Also personally, I've tried to find God but I've had the whole " why would he let my life get like this" arguement going on in my head and I can't push it to one side.

Hmm i guess everyone has there own stories about this..

Similiar thing happened to me..

My friends knew i was cutting and they threatned to do it themselves..

At first i thought they were being immature and stupid about it..

But then i realised the thought of my friends hurting themselves tore me apart inside and i thought them seeing me do what i was doing to myself was probably having the same affect on them. And that made me go to my mum and ask for help and she took me too various councillers and hospital programs i just didn't know the help i had there, some kids really need to be shown there is something you can do to help the situation.

So my friends threatning that made me come to my senses thank god!

And i don't deny i still have my bad days where i wanna turn back to cutting and i did once or twice but now i'm pretty good with dealing with things in other ways

after everything that happened to me in the past dealing with this subject i now have alot of opinions on it. i dont think that getting more kids aware of it will make them kill themselves for attention. i dont think they would go that far. why would they do soemthing for attention that they'd never get to see b/c they'd be dead? now i can see someone cutting for attention, i've seen someone do that. i've done that genuinlly [sp?] and i had my best friends help to get out of that, then i had to go to therapy and stuff, but part of what helped me through it was something very similar to this thread. i heard about the stories of the families that lost someone due to this, and it really made me rethink some things.

i dont think that getting more kids aware of it will make them kill themselves for attention. i dont think they would go that far. why would they do soemthing for attention that they'd never get to see b/c they'd be dead? n

Okay right i think people are getting the wrong idea about what i said, perhaps i didn't explain it clearly i'm not sure- most likely a fault on my part but anyway.

I didn't mean they'd literally kill themselves for attention, i'm being very pessimistic here i understand but there are people out there who would attempt (not a serious attempt- there are ways of staging suicide attempts, trust me) for attention. Much like cutting.

Also, there are those who will take a suicide as a very real option who had never thought about it before if it's just thrown out there.

I think i'm done on this subject because i can't think of a way to put down what i know i mean in a typable sentance. If anyone catches my drift, good on them- i mean none of this in an offence to anyone, just so that's clear.

Continue with you campaigns and whatnot by any means, i don't condemn them, but caution is needed.

Okay right i think people are getting the wrong idea about what i said, perhaps i didn't explain it clearly i'm not sure- most likely a fault on my part but anyway.

I didn't mean they'd literally kill themselves for attention, i'm being very pessimistic here i understand but there are people out there who would attempt (not a serious attempt- there are ways of staging suicide attempts, trust me) for attention. Much like cutting.

Also, there are those who will take a suicide as a very real option who had never thought about it before if it's just thrown out there.

I think i'm done on this subject because i can't think of a way to put down what i know i mean in a typable sentance. If anyone catches my drift, good on them- i mean none of this in an offence to anyone, just so that's clear.

Continue with you campaigns and whatnot by any means, i don't condemn them, but caution is needed.

Ah i totally get what your saying now.

About the staging suicide attempts and stuff.

I didn't mean they'd literally kill themselves for attention, i'm being very pessimistic here i understand but there are people out there who would attempt (not a serious attempt- there are ways of staging attempts, trust me) for attention. Much like cutting.

Also, there are those who will take a as a very real option who had never thought about it before if it's just thrown out there.

ooohhhhh okay i get what your trying to say now.

and i've agreed with you from the beginning on one point-caution is needed.

A dude at my school hung himself. He was foreign and didnt peak much so I dont think anyone knows why. I dont think we can judge suicidal people if we haven been through it. I dont agree with the "open a bible" thing. Since when has life been that simple? It may work for some, but to assume it works for everyone doesnt sit well with me lol

hey magan!

im sorry to hear about what happened in your school.

i think its great your speaking up about this!

and its a great idea! did you tell the councellor about the TWLOHA organisation? just 2day i was on that website reading about it.

im going to buy a shirt off there, and recomend it to alot of my friends

i think teenage suicide is a really serious matter, and teens going through depression whould be helped... ive never been or near to sucide, so i dont know how it feels, but i do think its really sad to think about it...

ive a friend who tried twice to overdose and i was really mad at him, and i told him exactly that. me and my other friend were sitting on the phone after she got a voicemail from him the pervious night. you know what our conversation was.... IF he had died, would his mom have our numbers to contact us or would she have coverage in the hospital.

i was so had at him! it was selfish! but at the same time, we all helped him out of that state, and he is THEE happiest person i know now!