Suggestions?

thisisaRiot

I taught myself. Get yourself some cheapy beginner guitar books from either your local music store or even sometimes there are some in charity shops or something, learn the base notes and get the feel of how and where you put your fingers. Go up a few easy scales such as C or F major and get used to major chords, barre chords and power chords.

-this sounds easy, it does take a while, but it's reet fun.

If you're not interested in learning notes, pick your favourite song (within reason- it has to be fairly easy to begin with - i reccommend stuff like Greenday or early Metallica with easy power/chords) and go on to a guitar tab site (ultimate-guitar.com or 911tabs.com are rad) and print off the tabs for the song you want to learn. They don't involve notes and just tell you where to put your fingers on the strings/frets, so they're quite lovely if you just want to learn songs.

Blargh.

I wrote alot.

Guitar is rad go have fun.

EDIT: Sorry, for some reason as i was typing this post, i remembered yours as saying you'd only just started or you want to start or something.

I've probably just been really patronizing.

Apologies.

yea just persist, cuz its gonna be a pain in the ass in the beginning. if you have a musical background i highly recommend learning notes and such.

and learn scales, always helps for soloing and such.

i dunno how it was for you guys, but for me it felt very natural when i started. now i feel like i've hit a road block in my playing, i havent gotten better.

im teaching myself to play piano!! i actually just started its haarrrd haha. and plus im trying to learn how to read sheet music. jeez thats a pain! so hopfully that will keep me occupied while i save up money for my bass haha. idk what this has to do with anything bahaha sorry lmao.

just make sure your enjoying what your doing or you will get frustrated and bored and go off it.

Thats the greatest advice yet on this thread....

Jorgi you were much too intimidating lol, I wouldnt know what that would have meant.

Anyway, You dont need books or anything to play guitar, Be like me and just start doing random crap! :D ( Take jorgi's path, That seems much more better)

Edit: Anyways...Chords! Fingers have memory too!

Practice, practice, practice really...I try to spend at least half an hour a day practicing...but I've only been playing 5 months and I'm still not a great player...but some players took years to get good. :)

Also, I get Total Guitar magazine, since they usually have these novice lessons and exercises in it, and they've helped me a lot as well. :D