More album news!

Josh is in this week's Kerrang! magazine and spoke alot about the new album, for the most part, there isn't much we already didn't know, but it's a decent read.

I wrote up the transcript. Scans on my blog (http://paramoreguy.blogspot.com/)

What should fans expect from the new Paramore album?

"It's hard to say at this stage. It's been rough trying to write on the road because we've been so busy, and we plan to do most of the writing after we've been home a while and have had the chance to decompress a little bit. There have been a lot of musical ideas, lots of verse riffs and chorus riffs, but we really want the songs to flow naturally rather than trying to force it out. It's hard to describe what the pieces we have are like, but the heavier songs are a lot heavier, and the mellow songs are a lot more mellow."

Is the song Decode that you recorded for the Twilight soundtrack any suggestion of where you might go next?

"No, I don't think so. That's a pretty dark song, and when we were writing it we were thinking it kinda sounded a bit like nu-metal, but we liked it a lot, and it really fits with the movie. There may end up being a song or two like that on the new record but I think that's as heavy as we're likely to go."

Where are you planning on recording the album?

"We're gonna try to do it in Nashville. I think writing the album there will inspire us, and then if we record there too it'll be a lot easier since we can sleep in our beds at night rather than in hotels like the other 300 days out of the year! We're not sure who's going to produce the record yet. We did Decode with [producer] Rob Cavollo [Green Day], which was a good experience, but we're looking around a don't want to make any decisions until we have a lot of songs and we know what we're looking for. We really enjoy our live sound and we want a producer who can really capture that."

You have a much higher profile than when you went into the studio to record Riot!. Do you feel under more pressure?

"Yeah, there is the underlying pressure of, like, 'Your last record went platinum and now you have to make another recor that goes platinum...', but I try not to think about it, because I feel that will just hinder the creative process. And I think putting any kind of expectations or rules on what we're doing will put a dampener on it, and the best songs come naturally."

That's really good to know! I'm sad more songs won't sound like Decode. But I disagree, I don't think it sounds like nu-metal.

anyway, thanks for posting!

It wouldn't be a very interesting album if all the songs sounded the same (even though I love Decode).

Anyway, good to know that, I really hope this album comes out as soon as possible, I can't wait for it ! :)

Is Decode that "dark" a track? I didn't think it was.

It's James that is going to be happy, haha.

To be honest, I was happy with that but then not so happy to hear "Decode" is the "heaviest" that they'll go, but then again who knows what Josh means by "heavy" eh? ;-)

It wouldn't be a very interesting album if all the songs sounded the same (even though I love Decode).

You know what I meant!

It doesn't sound like nu-metal, there isn't much synth, no offense to Hayley here but I don't think she could pull off the aggressive vocals, that are prominent in nu-metal.

That's true, the only way they can bring themselves to nu-metal, is if Josh brings back that screaming he did in "My Heart".

You know what I meant!

That's true, the only way they can bring themselves to nu-metal, is if Josh brings back that screaming he did in "My Heart".

I agree. I don't know how Josh sounds live though. Two vocalists do work, look at Linkin Park, 2 vocalists, and 50 million album sales*.

*I am in no way basing Linkin Park's success on that one factor.

I agree. I don't know how Josh sounds live though. Two vocalists do work, look at Linkin Park, 2 vocalists, and 50 million album sales*.

*I am in no way basing Linkin Park's success on that one factor.

I know exactly what your saying, dual singers can have a massive effect on the people's view of the music.

As for Josh's live screaming

Decode isn't heavy. If it is played in drop C tuning which I think it is, the new album wont be very heavy. It doesn't sound like nu-metal, there isn't much synth, no offense to Hayley here but I don't think she could pull off the aggressive vocals, that are prominent in nu-metal.

its a half step down, like most of the other riot stuff. Detuning doesnt necessarily mean more heavy. Can still make happy songs in lower keys. :)

& I think they should just produce themselves.. hire a recording engineer to sit down and not say a word and let them do the rest. They wouldn't have to pay any advance or escalating points on the record via producer and could pocket that money. They sold their soul in that 360 and can use that extra $$ in case the junior attempt falls short of riot numbers (which im sure everyone knows wont happen but hey... doesn't hurt to be prepared). They probably have some sort of escalating royalty clause in their deal (or I would HOPE they do). If I had to guess they've got to at least be getting 17-19%. A high profile producer would take on average 3 points or percent off that since all deals now are 'all in royalties' meaning the producer's royalty gets docked from the artist royalty. However this all means nothing if the record doesn't recoup as no one would see any money from the AR account. This discludes writer's royalties though which is an entirely separate thing where other than controlled compositions, record labels can't really get their hands on that money.

/Ramble off! .. Anyways, I think they're capable of doing it themselves by now. They don't need someone pushing them in a direction. I'm sure they're all so hyper critical of their music anyways that it doesn't matter who's sitting at the board. After all.. they write the music anyways.