Music Piracy

kwik-silva

Right or wrong?

Just read Lily Allen's thoughts on the subject and it was pretty interesting, so I was just wondering what everyone else's views are! The guy from Friendly Fires has come out and said pretty much exactly the opposite to Lily, and, to be honest, I more agree with him, piracy isn't really anything new either. It's just been brought to the forefront with the scale that it's been happening in the last few years.

Anyway : Lily's thoughts can be seen here. And some random artist was jumping on the bandwagon as well

I stopped reading Lily Allen's blog after like 3 lines, cause I assumed she would bang on about how bad it is, and only the big bands think it's good.

Actually I better check to see if that's what she says.... pretty much yeah.

Well I totally disagree with Lily Allen. I'd be pretty confident in assuming she makes more money than the average person in the UK does, and she probably gets a hell of a lot more time off than the average person too. So she can stop whinging imo. Sure she does live shows and tours, and that's pretty difficult, but on the subject of touring - that's where bands make their money these days. If people download songs for free, if the music is good, they will go out and support that band - go to live shows, buy the CDs, buy the merchandise. I think downloading music is probably "morally wrong" but it opens up a band's music to a wider audience.

And again I disagree with her, taping music off the radio was the same thing imo. If I liked a song I heard on the radio, I'd tape it as a kid. If the song was really good then I'd go out and actually buy it. It's the same principal as illegal downloading, only thanks to the internet you don't have to make do with what's played on the radio.

One final thing:

Then obviously there's MySpace, that streams music and helps acts like me get enough fans to convince record companies to sign us up.

Up until recently, Myspace was probably one of the biggest sources of songs illegally due to File2HD allowing you to download music from myspace pages due to myspace coding not being up to scratch :lol:

Just found this

Worked in the music industry, now work in the games industry. Agree that try before you buy is a good thing - free trials for games with a few levels, and the ability to listen to at very least a sample of music before you buy is great. Downloading everything for free and not paying the person who spent time and effort creating it. That's basically theft.

They've got a point.. but I'm not entirely sure how much I agree with it :???: Especially seeing as you don't really pay the artist that much anyway :P

Just found this

They've got a point.. but I'm not entirely sure how much I agree with it :???:Especially seeing as you don't really pay the artist that much anyway :P

I think Lily actually touched on the real problem. The industry "big shots" that work for the record companies on huge salaries are the problem, not illegal downloading (that's just a much smaller problem which is getting the blame now, due to the recession affecting the music industry - I mean illegal downloading has been around for about 10 years now).

i think it's okay to a point.

when you share/download music once in a while i dont think it's a big deal

but when thats how you get all or more than 50% of your music then theres the problem

people tend to think that just them or a few others dont affect it but there are WAY more people doing it so you are contributing to it. if people just cut back on illegally downloading then it would help a little, but when no one seems to give a shit then theres the problem

Personally I think it’s wrong because even though you anonymously stealing music and thinking that it’s only big rich record companies that are loosing money – actually it’s not it the little people who work for those companies who are loosing money as when CD sales go down guess who starts to worry about their jobs or get fired??? Yup we do!

Which is why I am all for ISP’s doing the three strike rule to protect intellectual property and also innocent people’s jobs.

You save and you buy cd/downloads with your savings....no excuse to steal.

And it's ok for bands to say they do it for the love of the music when it's record company money that is used to invest in them in the first place. Besides no way do any band/artist do it for the music alone, they are all in it for the money.

Personally, I own 95% of the 1200+ songs on my iPod/iTunes, because sites like LimeWire and BitTorrent irritate me to fuck. I believe you should be able to support the artists, sure they may not get much from only one album sold, but they get some sort of credit for the album bought. Sure there are big artists i.e. Lil Wayne, Britney Spears who have fuckloads of money and album sales where it doesn't matter if it is illegally downloaded or anything. Like they saying goes, nothing in life is free, and you should do the same for music itself.

Sorry, I rambled again.

Right and wrong personally.

It's definitely a double edged sword IMHO. On one hand, as we know, it can potentially cripple artists financially, but on the other hand it exposes them to a much wider fan base that would not have been possible. I know in my personal experience, it's certainly helped me to find out about bands I otherwise would have had no chance of being able to hear.

I try to contain myself and say "NUP, not downloading more music" but I am too obsessive about finding out about new artists, so I just go for it.

Honestly I just tend to think I'd like to know I'm spending my money on a good product if I'm going to be able to pick up a legitimate copy.

I don't feel the need to get as many songs on my computer as possible. For me, what this means is, if I download something and don't like an artist in general/don't like particular albums, I'll delete them off my computer in a few days, since it wouldn't be right to keep the songs on my computer and plus I don't have plans to listen to it anymore anyway. Right now I've got about 6500 songs or so, but I'd say had I not deleted any, I'd have had about 8000 or so on here.

Paramore is an example of a band where I took this approach of downloading first to see whether I'd like it. As some around here may now, I'm for all intents and purposes, a metalhead, so of course despite how much some of my friends told me how awesome they were I was hesitant to go straight out and buy the legit copies, so I downloaded AWKIF and Decode first and from there decided this band fucking pwned, so I went out and bought both AWKIF and Riot! as well as pre-ordering the Deluxe Edition of the the new album, so in effect if it weren't for illegal downloading Paramore might not have received those 3 sales, the positive side of the double edged sword I spoke of earlier.

Once I get a more permanent job (teaching one guitar student doesn't earn me a whole lot) I'll start replacing my illegal copies of stuff with legal copies.

I tend to take an extremely hard line stance against pirating music software though, especially since some of that stuff costs into the thousands of dollars and also because my older sister works for one of the biggest names in music production software, Ableton. If I can't afford it, I don't buy it, simple.

That stuff is pretty much the lifeblood of music producers these days. Recording to tape is practically just not done anymore because the ease of use compared to software is just not there, so if people want to hear music, the music production companies have to stay afloat.

Of course its wrong.

Do I still do it? Yes.

Yes people do make money from music. Yes the people downloading music are stealing from the bands/labels, however, they are still making money from their music from the people that still buy music. Hell, they should be glad people are listening to their music. If I was in a band and people were downloading my music, I would be glad that people liked my music. The musicians that get really upset about people pirating their music are only in it for the money. True musicians write music for the love of it and want to make people happy.

My .02

Personally I think it’s wrong because even though you anonymously stealing music and thinking that it’s only big rich record companies that are loosing money – actually it’s not it the little people who work for those companies who are loosing money as when CD sales go down guess who starts to worry about their jobs or get fired??? Yup we do!

Which is why I am all for ISP’s doing the three strike rule to protect intellectual property and also innocent people’s jobs.

This. I love music to no end, and I think everyone should be able to hear it, but I'm also interning at a record label right now, and it would be nice to not have to worry about whether or not I'll be able to get a job somewhere when it's over... not so I can be rich or anything like that, just so I can pay off my $80,000+ of student loans.

So many employees and even bands have been effected by this because record labels no longer make the money they used to and either have to lay off employees, drop artists, or just close their doors all together.

I can't say I never download music cause that would be a lie, but if you like it, please go buy it.

Of course its wrong.

Do I still do it? Yes.

Yes people do make money from music. Yes the people downloading music are stealing from the bands/labels, however, they are still making money from their music from the people that still buy music. Hell, they should be glad people are listening to their music. If I was in a band and people were downloading my music, I would be glad that people liked my music. The musicians that get really upset about people pirating their music are only in it for the money. True musicians write music for the love of it and want to make people happy.

My .02

Probably even just 2 years ago, I really wanted to believe musicians were just in it purely for the music, all this bubblegum idealistic stuff we sit there and tell ourselves can be true.

I mean shit, I love music, I listen to it for hours every day, I play 2 instruments (guitar and bass guitar), I'm going to buy a microphone so I can learn vocals and I sit there programming drum tracks and mixing my own music that I record.

I'd like to think this can all happen because of "a love of music", but if I ain't got money, well, how am I gonna buy my next set of guitar strings so I can keep recording and playing? How am I gonna afford more software and more hardware so I can progress at my mixing skills?

Right now, I teach guitar. It's awesome, I get to see a kid better herself and start doing things she could never do before. But as it is, I don't do it for free.

Yeah, I love doing it, don't get me wrong, but you think I'm not also in it for the money? Fuck yeah I'm also in it for the money.

Yes, some people are doing stuff purely for the money with their music, which reeks of a total lack of artistic integrity and like many people, I hate that, I really do. Put your heart into it or fuck off is my belief.

There is all this talk of "being true" and that.

For a while, to me, it meant totally sticking to your guns.

But I've come to learn in the real world, which unfortunately is not this idealistic fluffy utopia we all yearn for, it means doing what the fuck you have to do in order to survive in the business.

The music business is a tough business to survive in.

Unless you have a full time job doing something else and just want to make music at home for yourself and a few friends or whatever, you've gotta sell something in order to actually live off music in the way a fairly big/really big band would.

In most cases, you'll be selling an image. Do you go to a high class hotel and wear old, ripped clothes and shoes with dog shit on the bottom of them? No sir

You're not gonna get up on stage with your technical death metal band and be wearing a pink dress with Elmo print all over it either, unless you decide you don't want to sell any records and think your band isn't worth taking seriously at all.

If I were in a metal band and touring the world, I'm gonna betcha I'll be wearing the right clothes for the job, which could mean a black shirt and black jeans.

Or let's say hypothetically a guitarist leaves Paramore and I'm the one to replace him, and they tell me I need to change my image, would I do it? Fuck yeah I would, otherwise I wouldn't get the gig of a lifetime.

And you know what? I love their image, I love the fact that screams out "We know what we wanna do, we know what we're here for, what know what genre/s of music we want to deliver to you guys out there and we take ourselves seriously enough for people to justify buying our music and coming to our shows to support us".

They're a smart bunch. They not only sell their music, but they sell an image and a good one at that.

Which in effect, is paying for them to be able to put food on the table each night and to be able to keep doing what they love doing.

At some point you've gotta compromise and they knew how to do it correctly, so kudos to them.

That's why some of the most talented/passionate musicians are people you never heard of/aren't mainstream. Why? because they don't give two shits about the money. They just love playing music. My music teacher is one of the best guitarist I've ever heard. Better than Eric Clapton? almost. He's in 3 bands. He loves what he's doing. Being a teacher doesn't bring much bank in the first place, but being a music teacher, you bring in even less.

Just picking out bits here that caught my eye...

Paramore is an example of a band where I took this approach of downloading first to see whether I'd like it. As some around here may now, I'm for all intents and purposes, a metalhead, so of course despite how much some of my friends told me how awesome they were I was hesitant to go straight out and buy the legit copies, so I downloaded AWKIF and Decode first and from there decided this band fucking pwned, so I went out and bought both AWKIF and Riot! as well as pre-ordering the Deluxe Edition of the the new album, so in effect if it weren't for illegal downloading Paramore might not have received those 3 sales, the positive side of the double edged sword I spoke of earlier.

I downloaded AWKIF, then went out and bought it. Also since then have bought some singles off itunes, Riot, The Final Riot and have BNE (and the deluxe edition) pre-ordered. I've also gotten about a dozen people into Paramore too.

The musicians that get really upset about people pirating their music are only in it for the money. True musicians write music for the love of it and want to make people happy.

Totally agree with this 100% I have no sympathy for Lily Allen at all. Like I said, she makes more money the average person does. The sympathy I have is for the people like Lee.

This. I love music to no end, and I think everyone should be able to hear it, but I'm also interning at a record label right now, and it would be nice to not have to worry about whether or not I'll be able to get a job somewhere when it's over... not so I can be rich or anything like that, just so I can pay off my $80,000+ of student loans.

$80,000? Seriously? Wow I'm glad I'm not American.

What I do, is download - then if I like what I hear, then I'll buy it. The reason I don't go out and buy something right away, is past experiences of wasting money on albums that turned out to be crap.

If they're an up and coming band/someone I really like I'll buy the album. For example the brand new eyes by Paramore, not actually bought the other albums (yet) but I've spent £40 on this one, and Biffy's the same thing, and another £40 on Only Revolutions. I downloaded a lot of Twin Atlantic stuff before they released Vivarium, but as soon as they released it I'd bought that too, well in the end it'll probably be 4/5 copies to 'spread the word' :P

I understand both points of view, and I've actually tried to cut down on downloading music, but the thing is, I haven't got enough money to spend that much on albums, and keep going to as many gigs as I am at the moment. I'm going to be in debt to my parents for about half a year as result of my Reading ticket :P But does Lily want me to buy the album, or go and see her? It is possible to do both, but doesn't give me money for anything else, which is kinda tricky then isn't it :P I mean I don't have to pay rent or anything like that, so y'know...

I understand both points of view, and I've actually tried to cut down on downloading music, but the thing is, I haven't got enough money to spend that much on albums, and keep going to as many gigs as I am at the moment. I'm going to be in debt to my parents for about half a year as result of my Reading ticket :P But does Lily want me to buy the album, or go and see her? It is possible to do both, but doesn't give me money for anything else, which is kinda tricky then isn't it :P I mean I don't have to pay rent or anything like that, so y'know...

Haha, join the club!

Although, I'm not really in debt to my parents, per se. My bank card doesn't work online so I use theirs and just give them the money.

Haha, join the club!

Although, I'm not really in debt to my parents, per se. My bank card doesn't work online so I use theirs and just give them the money.

Yeah, same, but I slowly fell into debt with Reading tickets.. £50 for this years (had the other £130 or whatever) then the money to actually buy stuff there, so that's another £50, then £180 for next years :P