Infamous Spam Thread - Part 16

RenegadeRoss

I saw two Mesa half stacks in a guitar shop a few days ago. They are kinda big compared to Marshall's half stacks. Never heard one before.

I think one cab would be enough, considering the sound guys always mic the amp anyway.

Yeah, you honestly only ever need a half stack. All the rest is just for show. If you're playing somewhere too big for people to hear your half stack, they just mic it, thus making a full stack always pointless except to look badass lol.

Edit: the more I think about it, I might be on crack saying 480 watts, I forget how big it is now lol. It might be 200ish

Like Josh's hollow Riot! cabs! At least I think they are hollow cabs. There's literally no point to have real ones for that use. In one video it showed his white riot cabs, and in the back is just his half stack with a mic pointing at it. LOL!

There should be plenty of JVMs on the used market though, they've been out for a few years now.

The biggest issue with the JCM 2000 series is that they need to be seriously cranked to sound good, which means unless you're a top level band playing some serious venues they are close to useless, whereas the JVM series is actually manageable at lower levels.

The amp I'm getting is

bugera-333xl.jpg

Basically a cross between the Peavey XXX and Peavey JSX, but much cheaper lol.

I would love a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, but they are too expensive and I don't have the kind of space to crank an amp that loud, and Bugera amps don't need as much volume to sound amazing.

I'll also be getting a used Harley Benton cab with two V30 speakers (a 2x12 cab) and from there I'll be learning how to mic up amps properly

What about the 50 watt version?

I dunno, just depends on what you need really.

Personally, I'm a metalhead (yes even metalheads can like Paramore too, we aren't all close minded elitist assholes:p), so 50 watts isn't enough.

This isn't volume related, because 30 watts would technically be loud enough, but to play metal you really need most of your sound to come from the preamp rather than the power amp.

This probably rings true for a lot of rock too anyway . Riot was tracked using Dual Rectifiers for the distorted rhythm parts, and Dual Rectos are 100 watt amps which helps them to maintain their tightness in the lower mids

I hate the word crunchy, it can be used to describe almost any amp, which then makes it mean very little.

Most guitar tones on modern recordings are anything but crunchy really, they are usually actually really smooth in the top end