Week 5(?) Recommendation: Kailey

waketheearth

I'm horrible at this. I completely forgot about this whole thing, so whoever's turn this is, go ahead and post yours as well, I just need to get this done. Haha.

....I say "dang" a lot...

Seabear

Folk, Indie, Acoustic, Experimental

http://www.myspace.com/seabear

sea-bear.jpg

Seabear is a band that I've just recently gotten into and I love them so dang much. They're from Iceland (they sing in English) which makes them even cooler because Iceland produces great music (Ex: Sigur Ros). They remind me of Iron and Wine a lot, so if you love Sam Beam, you'll love Seabear. They've even had their song "Cat Piano" in Gossip Girl. I'm actually listening to that song as I type this, and didn't even realize it. Haha. They're most known song is I Sing, I Swim which is incredible. Actually every song is incredible. But seriously, they are just...delightful. Lul. I listen to them all the time.

Favorite songs:

, Seashell.

(I've had these 2 songs on repeat for the past couple days. Seriously.)

Scarlett Johansson & Pete Yorn

Alternative, Indie, Acoustic, Folk, Vintage

http://www.myspace.com/scarlettalbum

Scarlett+Johansson++Pete+Yorn+petescarlett.jpg

Yes, this is THE Scarlett Johansson. And YES, she can sing. She's actually really good too. Pete Yorn and Scarlett got together and created an album, and then "broke up". So technically, the two won't make anymore music after this, but they created an awesome CD. It has a vintage feel to it, which I really love, but it still keeps the acoustic/indie feel to it. Scarlett recorded her vocals in 2 days. The project was inspired by Serge Gainsbourg's 1967 and 1968 albums with Brigitte Bardot. Their voices mesh together really well.

Favorite songs:

(single), I Don't Know What to Do (really horrible quality, but that's all I can find)

This Will Destroy You

Instrumental, Ambient, Rock, Alternative

http://www.myspace.com/thiswilldestroyyou

l_dc59db461fd041f09e4593b35721c3d6.png

There are no vocals hence them being instrumental, of course. But that doesn't make them any less of an incredible band. In fact, they're one of my favorites. Most of their songs are pretty long, averaging around 7:30. Sometimes they even last almost 12 minutes, but the songs never get old. No matter what mood you are in, you can listen to any TWDY song and it will just match perfectly. Their music has been in The Taking of Pelham 123 trailer and in a New Balance commercial. Words cannot express how in love I am with this band. Seriously, their music is deep, mindblowing, and just overall incredible.

Favorite songs:

If you like TWDY, then also check out Explosions in the Sky, and Godspeed You! Black Emperor (listen to Moya). Both are also instrumental bands that will blow your mind as well.

WHY?

Indie, Folk, New Wave, Experimental

http://www.myspace.com/whyanticon

l_c9a4622c21494f418aa113bd1f808e95.jpg

Let me just state that WHY? is one of the weirdest bands I've ever listened to, but it totally works. Their lyrics are ridiculous, and don't make sense, but do at the same time. Their music is always catchy and interesting. They sound like a structured version of Animal Collective that isn't annoying and doesn't give you a headache. I got the privilege to see them live last month, and they put on one of the best shows I've seen with awesome stage presence. And the singer's name is Yoni Wolf. Ignoring the fact that "yoni" means "vagina" in Sanskrit***, that's a pretty dang cool name. And anyone with that awesome of a name has to be in this awesome of a band.

***I learned this the hard way by Google searching his first name only, hoping to get pictures of him. That didn't happen.

Favorite songs:

Seriously, even if this band doesn't sound appealing to you, listen to these 2 songs. SO SO SO CATCHY.

ONE SONG RECOMMENDATION:

Heroes Don't Ask Why- Run Doris Run

Rock, Alternative

http://www.myspace.com/rundorisrun

Run+Doris+Run+Artist584491RDRBanner.gif

I think it's safe to say that this is my favorite song right now. I have had it on repeat pretty much since I first heard it, which was a few weeks ago. (Top listener on last.fm, w00t!) It's so freakin' good. It reminds me a lot of a certain band, but I really can't think of it, so if you figure it out let me know. Their other songs are great as well, but this one is definitely my favorite. I feel like Ross would like this song, but I could be wrong. :P

There's nothing studio recorded of it on Youtube, so just go to their Myspace and listen to the first song.

Kailey wins for post awesome post rock in the form of This Will Destroy You (yes folks, I don't just listen to metal:p)

Explosions in the Sky and Godspeed You! Black Emperor are are full of all sorts of win too.

Not to high jack the thread, but the best Explosions in the Sky album is The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place and the my favorite from Godspeed is Lift Yr. Skinny Fists, Like Antennas to Heaven IMHO.

That blonde chick from Seabear must about Kayla's height:p

Apart from Elliot Smith (which my old sister loved and got me into...........he died too:() and Bon Iver, I know jack shit about indie folk, and it was nice to hear a bit more of the genre.

I rather enjoyed the Seabear myspace songs.

Kailey wins for post awesome post rock in the form of This Will Destroy You (yes folks, I don't just listen to metal:p)

Explosions in the Sky and Godspeed You! Black Emperor are are full of all sorts of win too.

Not to high jack the thread, but the best Explosions in the Sky album is The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place and the my favorite from Godspeed is Lift Yr. Skinny Fists, Like Antennas to Heaven IMHO.

Apart from Elliot Smith (which my old sister loved and got me into...........he died too:() and Bon Iver, I know jack shit about indie folk, and it was nice to hear a bit more of the genre.

w00t. Haha. I love Lift Yr. Skinny Fists, Like Antennas to Heaven so much.

Such a great band. :D

And so is This Will Destroy You. That band slays me every time. Haha.

This Will Destroy You are immense, got nothing on As I Watch You From Afar though :P

and Kailey it's 'week' 7 :P

Haha. Well I was originally supposed to do week 5, and didn't know if anyone had 7 so I didn't want to claim it. :P

she's probably taller

I had never heard of Seabear before and I didn't expect to get much out of them since I'm not a fan of the "indie jesus" stuff I've heard at all, but the songs that you listed were really good! Very soothing and quite literally "good mood" -music. :) I'll try to dig up a full album next.

This Will Destroy You is an old acquaintance of mine so no comment about that...

WHY? was an interesting listen...I bounced around Youtube listening to their stuff and some of the songs sounded really interesting, while others didn't appeal to me at all. I'll give it some time, I'm not too familiar with that type of music (whatever it is). The lyrics didn't make sense. At all. And they did NOT make sense at the same time either. :lol: It didn't bother me, though, they were fun to read.

I had never heard of Seabear before and I didn't expect to get much out of them since I'm not a fan of the "indie jesus" stuff I've heard at all, but the songs that you listed were really good! Very soothing and quite literally "good mood" -music. :) I'll try to dig up a full album next.

This Will Destroy You is an old acquaintance of mine so no comment about that...

WHY? was an interesting listen...I bounced around Youtube listening to their stuff and some of the songs sounded really interesting, while others didn't appeal to me at all. I'll give it some time, I'm not too familiar with that type of music (whatever it is). The lyrics didn't make sense. At all. And they did NOT make sense at the same time either. :lol: It didn't bother me, though, they were fun to read.

Awesome! I'm glad you like Seabear. :D I stumbled across them awhile ago but never really listened actually until recently.

Hahaha, yes WHY? is a very weird band. And their lyrics definitely don't make sense at all but they do fit (I think that's what I was trying to say before :P). They are interesting though, and they are either a band you love or hate, and sometimes they do take awhile to get used to. Haha.