The Soundtrack To Your Life

EasyTarget

Harry, I don't think Jedd is saying it has to have relatable lyrics to be enjoyable. He's just saying that there are some songs that you hear that are just like... "BAM! THATS MY LIFE!"

I know he's not necessarily saying and I even said in my post that was the case (that him and it was implied perhaps others don't necessarily need relatable lyrics to enjoy music, but some people do and it doesn't make sense to me why they would have that need).

Anyway, it's just a question of where does it leave me, as someone who almost never pays attention to lyrics in songs apart from a few bands.

Surely I can still have music that is the "sountrack of my life" despite the fact I probably have no idea what the song is about lyrically?

I guess I can relate with the last Paramore album, seeing as I'm basically at the age Hayley is and went through some of that same stuff, but I don't don't necessarily seeing as anymore of a soundtrack to my life than music that doesn't have lyrics that are relatable to my life/have any lyrics at all.

Some music I put on not because "BAM that's my life!" but because it matches a certain way I'm feeling, which to me is music that represents the soundtrack of my life

I have pop rock moods for when I feel kinda jumpy and energized.

Sometimes when a bunch of girls come over (and they typically aren't into the extreme metal, classical music and avant garde I listen too) I guess I'll put on Paramore, You Me At Six or Evanescence (which I'm not a big fan of but girls I know bring their CDs and tell to me put it on) and we drink and have fun and stuff, that kinda music I guess is the soundtrack to that moment in time. And a moment in time is part of your life.

If I'm sitting here alone at night, feel like kinda just zoning out, I'll probably put on some post rock or post metal.

Of course I have certain songs which I'll more likely to gravitate towards if my zoning out mood is particularly extreme.

Doubt anyone apart from Pekka would even listen to this, but here's an example of one of my favorite chilled out/zoning out songs

If I'm feeling a bit more energized, I'll probably put on some death metal.

If I'm out and about, I tend to just take in the sounds of the environment (I deliberately don't own a portable Mp3 player because I hate the idea of constantly listening to music when I'm away from the house or not at a concert/gig )

What I don't get is why songs have to have "relatable" lyrics at all to be enjoyed (not that saying that's specifically you Jeff, but I sometimes hear other people say they can't relate to music because of the lyrics) and to be considered part of one's soundtrack to their life.

I listen to a lot of stuff that is entirely instrumental that could be interpreted in a number of different ways and a lot of avant-garde stuff that has really abstract lyrics that make seemingly no sense on paper, but yet the emotions in these songs are often highly compatible with the way I feel

Just means you're nuts dude. it happens. :uhh:

kidding, so anyway

Man Under Sea - Patrick Watson

Not sure what he means by the song, but was listening to this last night on my long journey home and to me the sea is maybe you know "hiding" and becoming a better person. The fish in the sea aren't a man in the sea like me which would to me explain my selfishness for now. And them being fish, Fish that was created for man don't compare much to me in my eyes, Because I'm trying to be better! There! whew. I could explain it much better but im soooooo lazy.

I Woke Up In A Car - Something Corporate

This song is my life. Or, what I hope my life will be. I want to be a tour manager, many of you know this, and this song just puts the whole life on the road in perspective for me. "I've never been so lost. I've never felt so much at home." I have a tattoo of those lines because with my life, I am completely lost, but at the same time, I'm completely comfortable and at home with that journey.

• 3 months later...

Hero/Heroine - Boys Like Girls

I just realized how much this song relates to me.

Quote from www.songmeanings.net :

its prety much about a guy who has a history of not letting people in. when a girl falls in love with him he just pushes them away because he promised himself that he would never fall for someone and just end up being hurt. but then a girl came along. and shes trying soo hard to be with him. and the guy doesnt understand why she wants to be with him. but he begins to fall for her.. and he doesnt know why. in the end he breaks his promise with himself (do you know your love is the sweetest sin) and lets the girl in. he realizes that his look on love was wrong and it feels soo good to be with her rather then not letting her in.

That pretty much sums up this past year for me.

Tiny Heart by Flyleaf

There's this line in it that goes "When you choose me, I'm waiting for you. Always waiting".

It's relatable to me because I would always wait for someone. I'd just let them go live their life and if they ever decided to choose me, I'd still be there for them.

Let Down by VersaEmerge

I always let people down.

The Bird and The Worm by Owl City

It's a fun song. I'm like the worm and the bird is the girl that usually sings this with me.

And I just completely understand the concept of it.