Board Update Question

I just changed a setting that loads Google's JavaScript instead of off our server, so it should help load times slightly. (Do a hard refresh on the board, F5) and see if that makes a slight difference. I'll still look into more stuff as well.

EDIT: also forgot to mention, if there are hooks on the sidebar that you don't use, you can minimize them. The less that are open, the more that helps loading times. If you close the sidebar completely, it also helps (if you don't use the sidebar at all).

From IPS:

Try that to see if you are still logged in when going back to the index. I know it's not likely the problem, but it's worth a shot.

Will look into it. There are ways to speed things up without major MySQL database edits, like pruning topics (ehem...the Games forum), and turning off the "Who's browsing this forum/topic" feature, but I hear members on PF don't want to give that up, so I'll look for more ways.

I just tried, and it says I'm still logged in.

@Guro I'm still working on your issue. It's the weekend, so IPS won't respond again until tomorrow most likely.

Also, can anyone refresh the board a few times and let me know if it is loading any faster? I optimized all the SQL databases which I've found that they slowed down because of the conversion, not anything IPB is doing, just because it's hard for any software to completely run at full capacity soon after a conversion, and optimizing databases helps make it run at full speed again. So this should help a little. It should start running at a normal speed soon.

Also, can anyone refresh the board a few times and let me know if it is loading any faster? I optimized all the SQL databases which I've found that they slowed down because of the conversion, not anything IPB is doing, just because it's hard for any software to completely run at full capacity soon after a conversion, and optimizing databases helps make it run at full speed again. So this should help a little. It should start running at a normal speed soon.

it's definitely loading faster for me now! thanks :)

i think we need to delete old threads.

no one posts in them. people's post counts go down, so what, they'll have to live with it. i really don't think people are THAT concerned with post count lol. we just have to tell them we're doing it or they'll just be confused as to how some just dissapeared other than that it'll be fine haha. it will help the boards go faster so i dont think people will complain. no biggie

not delete the whole games forum because people like them. just delete old locked threads. and when a thread gets too big instead of just locking it, delete it. if people complain about post count than thats just sad.

(a little late on this but whatevs)

• Like 1

for me too! :)

Btw kind of odd question i know, but is there any version of pf for normal mobiles?

There is a mobile skin, so if you go to the site on your mobile device and the forum doesn't automatically show in the mobile form, just go to the bottom left of the page and select the Mobile skin. It's exactly the same as the app for iPhone/iPod touch.

i think we need to delete old threads.

no one posts in them. people's post counts go down, so what, they'll have to live with it. i really don't think people are THAT concerned with post count lol. we just have to tell them we're doing it or they'll just be confused as to how some just dissapeared other than that it'll be fine haha. it will help the boards go faster so i dont think people will complain. no biggie

not delete the whole games forum because people like them. just delete old locked threads. and when a thread gets too big instead of just locking it, delete it. if people complain about post count than thats just sad.

(a little late on this but whatevs)

I agree, but there are people who will freak out haha. It's not my decision of course, but I suppose the admins can put up a poll and see what everyone thinks collectively.

• Like 1

I definitely agree on deleting old threads. I never understand anybody that gets uptight about their post count. It's a little pathetic.

I'll speak to Chriss about the PM inbox. I just didnt think anyone would have 50 messages worth keeping! :P

As for having maximum of 10 pics a post. Is there any time we need more than that though?

The maximum number of images per post is currently set to 14, to help with load times. If some people were posting 20 images per post, it would slow stuff down again. We'll see how things go when we start doing a cleanup, and maybe we can add a few more.

Also, how many PMs were allowed in our mailboxes before? I don't really mind changing that, within reason. Mine was rarely filled with messages either because I didn't PM people much or because I have just enough OCD to make me keep everything organized (my Gmail account has a whole 19 messages in it at the moment, despite Gmail's almost limitless inbox allowance, lol).

It was 50 on our old boards too? If that's the case, I'll talk it over with Dustin and Ross and we can come up with another number, based on board speeds and such.

I really don't get the whole messenger center thingy. Why does it say I have 65 messages stored, when I can only have 50? Or doesn't the notifications messages count as messages? I found it confusing, haha.

what about pics in posts, we're allowed to post only like 10 max or sth :/

It was 10 by default, but I had Chriss raise it to 14 when we set up the board so I could fit my tutorial images in the first post haha. But as Chriss said, there is a limit for a reason. With as big of a site as we have, having people post so many images in a post can increase load times and be a bit tedious when people try to keep coming back to a particular thread and it gets laggy due to so many images.

I really don't get the whole messenger center thingy. Why does it say I have 65 messages stored, when I can only have 50? Or doesn't the notifications messages count as messages? I found it confusing, haha.

It might count notifications. I never had enough in my inbox to really notice. But to explain the Message Center in a nutshell, it's basically like a really advanced way to communicate privately.

You can start a conversation, talk with someone, and even add multiple people to a conversation, where they can all post and reply in one single thread. This keeps things organized, and separates unread messages from stored/read messages. You can think of each conversation as its own thread in the forum. The number you have, if it is over 50, is likely counting your notifications, or past conversations from before the conversion that were stored, so it just added to your number. Again, this is all a guess. I'd have to experience it to see it for myself, but it's worth a shot to try to explain what it might be, haha.

@Chriss increasing number of messages stored probably won't directly affect load times, just how much is being stored on the server. To expand upon what I said in response to Guro, the way IPB lessens the amount of messages in your inbox is to use that threaded conversation system. So you really don't go over the limit sending individual responses, but by reading replies to already existing conversations that may have a new reply. Pretty spiffy.

People shouldn't be filling their inbox up that quickly unless they have exactly 50 conversations they absolutely cannot afford to delete...then I suggest you copy and paste it to a notepad document or something. 50 is a default limit for almost all software, it's a nice medium. But of course it can be raised it there is enough outcry for it. But I suggest cleaning out the inbox before looking for more space.

Just found at that it's not only on my iPod it tells me I don't have access to certain pages. It's every time I try to go from 'off topic to 'other', 'photography' to 'paramore', etc. So it might be my user?

It shouldn't just be your account. The forum permissions are all configured for member groups, not specific members, so everybody who is listed as a Member would have trouble viewing those forums too.

I'll take a look at your account to see if there's anything wrong though.

It shouldn't just be your account. The forum permissions are all configured for member groups, not specific members, so everybody who is listed as a Member would have trouble viewing those forums too.

I'll take a look at your account to see if there's anything wrong though.

Oh, okay. Thanks :)

Does that for me too, but it wasn't a big deal :P

Haha, nah it doesn't mean anything for me really :P