Earthquake in Japan

paint the sky grey

I thought it'd be kind of necessary to have a thread about this because it's such a horrible catastrophe and I kind of have to write down my thoughts about it now.

I'm usually not the kind of person who's easily touched by things that don't involve me directly, but when I heard about it in the news yesterday morning I had a bit watery eyes, very close to cry.

Then I read today that about 400 people already have been found dead, one of them the famous hello kitty creator. And a bit later I saw this:

tumblr_lh6zeqmTe51qh3npao1_500.jpg

Following the March 11, 2011 earthquake in Japan, this terrified giant panda grabs the leg of a policeman.

what made me cry in the end. I really wish I could do something besides praying for anyone in Japan. :(

The National Post reported there's actually over 1000 people dead. And it doesn't look like it's going to get any better any time soon, with two nuclear power plants apparently on the verge of meltdown. One of them has already suffered a major explosion.

2hfqm9e.jpg

A child being tested for radiation

2mpcxm1.jpg

28utgs8.jpg

igkps8.jpg

6fqf4j.jpg

14m7vp4.jpg

raxjwz.jpg

nbet6d.jpg

34pz9sk.jpg

afabr4.jpg

4uyza8.jpg

I hope they can keep those nuclear power plants under control, and that they can get the help they need to begin to regroup and recover as soon as possible

If people want to help, Hayley reblogged this on her Tumblr from The Daily What

http://yelyahwilliams.tumblr.com/post/3793133546/thedailywhat-2011-sendai-earthquake-how-to

The red cross is taking donations via text message, I believe you have to text 90999 or something like that, don't hold me to that number, to donate $10 to the relief fund.

One of the guys at work, a raging evangelical, pissed me off because all he can say is "just another sign of the end times!" I'm sick of these whacks saying that every bad thing that happens is a sign that we're closing in on the end of the world. Have some compassion and donate some money, and stop with the book of revelations bullshit, honestly.

There's something eerily messed up about the thought that Japan is, as a result of this earthquake, facing a nuclear disaster. Post WWII, we've become friends with the Japanese, and I think that everyone would agree that they suffered through more than enough nuclear crap for any people to ever have to deal with, without having this happening now.

Reactor number 3 at the nuclear plant has now exploded as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_N-wNFSGyQ

Also a volcano in Japan has just erupted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxUjK0C71yE

Jesus Christ. I don't even know what to say anymore, how much worse can things get? Luckily it sounds like the volcano eruption was not unexpected, hopefully people knew enough to stay away from that area and no one was injured.

It's a bit rediculous that they completely want to evacuate Japan. Do you know how bad that will make Japan look. I mean, it makes their government look like they don't really want to do anything about it and that's a sad thing.

It really is. and to be honest, i can't really imagine where you'd put the people of a whole country. i mean sure, the world's big but considering the fact that about 35 million people are already living only in tokyo, it would almost be impossible to evacuate a whole country.

i've heard in the news today that they registred about 6500 dead people now, 10000 are still missed. :/

when i saw the news last saturday i was totally shocked and when i saw the pictures my eyes were totally full of water ..

i don't know how to express my feelings about that .. thats such a horrible think what happens right now in japan ...

so and i think the meltdown i not so far away .. soon i saw the news and they say the meltdown will be this weekend i don't know how to feel about that thats just soo terrible .. and all the people have to be scared right now so terrible can't imagine what they're going through right now ..