Top 10 Albums of 2006

stephler

here is my actual list, with information. i'm going all out like jarrod =]

10) Coming Home//New Found Glory - I'm putting this here, because I thought it was a great effort on their part, to put out something that totally re-defines them as a band. It was very different than their other albums, and probably one of their best.

9)This Providence//This Providence - Dont' really have an explanation for this.

8)Envy On The Coast//Envy On The Coast - An EP, but great. Very catchy songs, and good music.

7) Underage Thinking//Teddy Geiger - Not only does he write great music, his voice' raspiness really brings out the emotion of the songs. I love his lyrics, and everything about his music.

6) Dear Virginia,//Permanent Me - Though this band only released an EP, I think it deserves to be on here. They did a wonderful job with it, and I can't wait for the full length January 23.

5) Define The Great Line//Underoath - I don't usually listen to "hardcore" music, but Underoath just appeals to me. This album is much heavier than their older stuff, and I was afraid I wouldn't like it. However, once you read the lyrics along with the music, and actallyt know what they're saying, it all makes sense, and the message of each song really speaks.

4) Decemberunderground//AFI - Thanks to Jarrod, I picked up this album, and love it. I think they did an amazing job with it. It's a very well rounded album, and full of amazing music.

3)Boys Like Girls//Boys Like Girls - This album, though totally popish, was great. One of the best "pop" albums I've ever heard.

2)Louder Now//Taking Back Sunday - A lot of people were dissapointed with this album, but I love it. I think it shows who the band is, with the "new" lineup they have.

1) Saosin//Saosin - This album is amazing. The vocals on it are out of this world, as well as the music. I don't think i've stopped listening to it since i got it in September. The first album i've ever felt this way about too. Just Amazing. Get it if you don't have it.

aw and I thought TP was gonna be higher on your list ):

so heres my top 10.

10) John Mayer- Contiuum

I was never too crazy about him but then this girl on my XC team was obsessing over it, so I told her to make me a copy in exchange for the Underoath cd. I had heard the single like once so it was easier to go through the whole cd. I just love the way the music is. Favorite Song: "Slow Dancing In A Burning Room"

9)Senses Fail-Still Searching

The only reason I decided to check out this record was because of the review in Alt Press. I had heard the single "Calling All Cars" which was ehhhh, but not enough to make me go out and buy the cd, but when i saw that they recieved a 4 i was like maybe i should listen to it. I bought it off of iTunes with a gift card i won at a gift exchange and I was really suprised at how good the whole album was. Favorite Song:"Shark Attack"

8-) Gatsbys American Dream- Self-titled

I heard the first few songs when they released them on the internet and fell in love with how raw the record was. Im glad they decided to not use auto-tune on the vocals since it makes the album that much better. I also like the hatered they have here. Favorite Song:"Margaritas & Cock"

7) The Early November- The Mother, The Mechanic, and the Path

FINALLY this record was able to come out. I downloaded "Decoration" offf of purevolume last year and fell in love with what they were doing. The record was supposed to be out at the end of last year but the whole DTR distribution got messed up so it got pushed back to July of this year. I'm glad I waited, it not only has 1 good cd but 3 GREAT cd's. The path might be a little strange but when you really sit down and listen to it with headphones it changes they way you hear it. Favorite Song:"1000 Times A Day"

5) New Found Glory- Coming Home

A GREAT album from a GREAT band. Easily my second favorite album from them. Yes it was different from their other stuff but they changed for the better. Jordan might not have the nasally vocals anymore but his new vocals are amazing. This album still has a little Old NFG in the mix so thats why its GREAT. Favorite Song:"Hold My Hand"

5) Justin Timberlake- Futuresex/Lovesounds

Not only is SEXYBACK but so is Justin. Such a good album froma good artist. he combines so many different genres to make a great album. A great album to get up and dance to. Favorite Song:"Chop Me Up"

4) My Chemical Romance- The Black Parade

When I first heard the opening to "Welcome to the Balck Parade" i was like nooooooo MCR sold-out but then came the fast guitars and drums everyone knows from them and I knew this was going to be a great album. When i actuall got around to listening to the whole album I was just like damn, musically it is great. But the weakness of this album kepping it away from number 3 is that it doesnt flow as good as "Three Cheers..." that had a uptempo songs until "Ghost of You" and then it picked up and led on a good note. With this it seems like the story of the Patient and the way the music was put together didnt do too well. Favorite Song:"Teenagers"

3) Hellogoodbye-Zombies1 Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!

Yeah pretty much every song on this was a demo that was leaked, but I never heard those demos so hearing these songs were pretty much like me hearing new songs from them. The only reason it's up here so high is because it was a FUN album to listen to. A great half-hour of music on this cd. I liked it for what it was, which is a fun summer album. Favorite Song:"Figures A&B"

2)The Format- Dog Problems

This was SO close to being number one but this ended up number 2 which you'll find out later. This was great album that caught me by suprise. I picked up this cd from a friend who said it was a really good album and that i should check it out because of the myspace refrences in it. So I listened to it once, then again, and another time and before I knew i was playing the album at least once a day for a month and a half. Favorite Song:"Time Bomb"

1) Underoath-Define the Great Line

This was number one because when I'm going to look back on 2006 and the music I listened to and how it made me feel, I'm going to remember this album over any of the others because I was going through the same things Spencer and Aaron went through when they wrote the lyrics to this. Yes my number one and number two are completely different musically but it just shows my taste for music. This was a great 45 minutes to spend just alone in a room with just an iPod or cd player. I loved the direction they went with this album. Favorite Song:All of them(seiously each song I gave a 5 star rating to it)

honorable mentions:

copeland- eat, sleep, repeat

halifax- the inevitabiloty of a strange world (some of the songs were too long)

men, women, and children- self-titled

chiodos- all's well that ends well (could have been in the top 5 for this year but it was released last year)

1. The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - Don't You Fake It

2. New Found Glory - Coming Home

3. Plus 44 - When Your Heart Stops Beating

4. Repeat Offender - To A Modern Love

5. The Hush Sound - Like Vines

6. Billy Talent - Billy Talent II

7. Underoath - Define The Great Line

8. Lostprophets - Liberation Transmission

9. Rise Against - The Sufferer & The Witness

10. MuteMath - Self-titled

• 1 month later...

Senses Fail - Still Searching

Tool - 10,000 Days

Rise Against - The Sufferer And The Witness

As Daylight Dies - Killswitch Engage

Incubus - Light Grenades

Hit The Light - This Is A Stick Up... Don't Make it Murder.

Greeley Estates - Far From Lies

Boys Like Girls - Boys Like Girls

Bullet For My Valentine - The Poison

Brand New - The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me