Top 10 Albums of 2006

stephler

I know its a little early and all but list your 10 favorite albums (you don't have to rank them) that were released this year!

"The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me" - Brand New

"FutureSex/LoveSounds" - Justin Timberlake

"The Bell & The Hammer" - This Day & Age

"Rabbit Fur Coat" - Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins

"Boys Like Girls" - Boys Like Girls

"Super Extra Gravity" - The Cardigans

"Morningwood" - Morningwood

"While the City Sleeps, We Rule the Streets" - Cobra Starship

"Something Real" - Meg & Dia

"Skeleton" - Figurines

I only have 7 in my head right now :

''All We Know is Falling' - Paramore (I know they released it last years, but Paramore still rock my life.)

''A Fever You Can't Sweat Out'' - PAnic! at the Disco (same here)

''Don't You Fake It'' - Red Jumpsuit

''Billy Talent II'' - Billy Talent

''Decemberundergorund'' AFI

''Likes Vines'' Hush Sound

"Boys Like Girls" - Boys Like Girls

toughy...

i have issues remembering what came out when...

but, in no particular order:

all time low - put up or shut upcute is what we aim for - the same old blood rush with a new touch

the hush sound - like vines

this providence - self titled

meg and dia - something real

paramore - the summer tic EP

ok, that was only 6. but that's all i got...

i actually cant name 10

some that i think are amazing;

sonic boom six-the ruff guide to genre terrorism(probley my fav album of 2006)

rise against-The Sufferer & The Witness

the action design-the action design ep (its not really an album but i love it)

and some that i really like;

pretty girls make graves-elan vital

billy talent-billy talent II

okay i actually cant think of any others at the mo that were released this year.

Knives Don't Have Your Back,Emily Haines

Billy Talent II,Billy Talent

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not,Arctic Monkeys

Wolfmother,Wolfmother

Zombies!Aliens!Vampires!Dinosaurs!,Hellogoodbye

The Always Open Mouth,Fear Before The March Of Flames

When Your Heart Stops Beating,+44

My Brother's Blood Machine,Prize Fighter Inferno (Claudio from Coheed and Cambria)

Skin and Bones,Foo Fighters

anddd though I haven't heard the entire Brand New album,what I have heard is kick ass and it's on my Christmas list.

Now the biggest let down albums for me were Under The Iron Sea by Keane and Sam's Town by The Killers was kinda disapointing...

Louder Now - Taking Back Sunday

Decemberunderground - AFI

Saosin - Saosin

Boys Like Girls - Boys Like Girls

This providence - This Providence

define the Great Line - Underoath

Dear Virginia, - Permanent Me

John mayer - Continuum

Envy on the coast - envy On The Coast EP

that's only nine, prety much because there are a bunch of CD's i still need to get from this year (including Brand new and the John Mayer CD, though i've listened to the John mayer CD a few times through already)

hmmmm, i'm gonna put paramore on this. even though it's from last summer and i had it then, it was only released in the uk this yr so..

1. paramore - all we know is falling

2. new found glory - coming home

3. casiotone for the painfully alone - etiquette

4. goo goo dolls - let love in

5. the killers - sam's town

6. cute it what we aim for - the same old blood rush with a new touch

7. angels and airwaves - we don't need to whisper

8. underoath - define the great line

9. shiny toy guns - we are pilots

10. brand new - the devil and god are raging inside me

1. The Blood Brothers - Young Machetes

2. Justin Timberlake - Futurelove/SexSounds

3. Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor / This Providence - this providence

4.Akissofrjersey - Keep Your Head Above The Water

5. The Sounds - Dying to say this to you

6. Voices - Matchbook Romance

7. Underoath - Define the Great Line

8. Copland - Eat, Sleep, Repeat

9. Sullivan - Hey. I'm a Ghost

10.So They Say - Antidote for Irony

The Hush Sound- Like Vines (I play it so much)

This Providence- This Providence

Family Force 5- Business up front party in the back

My chemical romance- The Black Parade

blessthefall- His last walk

Saosin- Saosin

Cobra Starship- While the city sleeps we rule the streets

Green Day&U2- The Saints are Coming

AFI- Decemberunderground

Angels&Airwaves- We dont need to whisper

the sufferer and the whitness- rise against

define the great line- underoath

decemberunderground- AFI

the open door- evanescence

how to save a life- the fray

dont you fake it- the red jumpsuit apparatus

the same old blood rush with a new touch- cute is what we aim for

daughtry- daughtry

teenage graffiti- pink spiders

this december, it's one more then i'm free- lydia ( i think it's from this year?)

I've only got nine for my list... Ten if you count Paramore.

Killswitch Engage - As Daylight Dies

Foo Fighters - Skin And Bones

Wolfmother - Wolfmother

Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death

Taking Back Sunday - Louder Now

Trivium - The Crusade

Stone Sour - Come What(ever) May

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium

Anne McCue - Koala Motel (I haven't got the album yet but the three songs I've heard are awesome...)

Biggest disappointment: Arctic Monkeys - "Whatever people say I am, that's what I'm not".

I can never remember what came out this year and what didn't

so off the top of my head, I'm going with

HIM - Uneasy Listening Vol. 1

Kill Hannah - Until There's Nothing Left Of Us

The Sounds - Dying To Say This To You

Boys Like Girls - Boys Like Girls

I'll have to look through some of my AP's to see what else came out

so I'll update this later

1: The Black Parade-My Chemical Romance

2: Still Searching-Senses Fail

3: All We Know Is Falling-Paramore

4: Louder Now-Taking Back Sunday

5: If Only You Were Lonely-Hawthorne Heights

6: Define The Great Line-Underoath

7: The Poison-Bullet For My Valentine

8: Saosin-Saosin

9: The Open Door-Evanescence

10: A City By The Light Divided-Thursday

And because I cannot resist...

11: Heroine-From First To Last

JARROD'S TOP TEN.

BTW, IVE BEEN WAITING TO DO THIS HAHA.

#10: Boys Like Girls-Boys Like Girls. Haha I typed it twice. Well I had to start this top ten thing with someone. And BLG seemed like a good place to start. So many great albums this year and somehow a barely known emo band snuck into a metalheads top ten? How the fuck does that happen? lol, great album I must say. I listen to it often. And I get to see them soon, which is a good deal haha.

#9: A Change of Pace-Prepare The Masses. Surprisingly enough, my metal friend showed me these emo, punk, pop, rockers haha. He was like, dude you would like these guys. And sure enough I did. The entire first semester I listened to them repetitively. Amazing album, and I was sad to see I wasnt the first on these boards to find them. lol, oh well. Shows other people here know what they are doing as well.

#8: Korn-See You On The Other Side. Never was a huge fan of Korn until I bought this album and actually listened to it. Then I saw them live and, now they are one of my favorite bands. Funny how those things work out isnt it. lol. Great album, and Jonathan Davis is truly amazing. And that is coming from someone who dispised them and him. Overrated was the term I believe I used. Well, not anymore haha. Korn is good.

#7: The Human Abstract-Nocturne. If you want bizarre and out there. Oh and again if you like metal and a bit of noise too, listen to this. If you know anything about complicated music and drum beats or anything, you will appreciate the hell out of this album. Amazing performers I must say and I owe my metalhead friend Brandon for showing me these guys. I'd say a mix of Coheed, Soulfly, Skindred mixed with Jazzy Metal. lmao.

#6: Breaking Benjamin-Phobia. Good album Expected an insane amount more from them though. The first album was one of my top three albums the year it came out and the last album was my album of 2004, closely followed by Cradle of Filth's Nymphetamine. This album was very good though and had a few amazing songs. I just love Ben Burnley's voice. Great front man, and amazing live show.

#5: All That Remains-The Fall of Ideals. Another metal album. New band I introduced myself to in the summer. I was instantly hooked and I like to think that these guys, oh and one girl, saved my metal-self lol. Great album, amazing singer, drums are off the charts. Great start to the top 5. If you like metal at all, do yourself this favor and purchase all of their albums.

#4: Senses Fail-Still Searching. Should actually be #3. Absolutely incredible. I bought it and didnt listen to it until after about a week. I read in all the magazines how amazing it was and all the hype it was getting so I finally was like OK OK lets hear it. Unreal. Great follow up. Only problem I have with it is the single "Calling all Cars" which is an average song at best. Good stuff.

#3: Cradle of Filth-Thornography. For all you metalheads out there, if there are any here? haha, this was somewhat of a disappointment. At the beginning of the year, this was my #2 most anticipated album, just because I love these guys so much. It definitely wasn't as good as their presious years Nymphetamine, but it gets the job done. Great all around album, but I expected more.

#2: The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus-Don't You Fake It. Random Download and then almost didnt buy the album until a few days before its release I found out that the new album would have alot of new shit. Amazing is all I can say. Although I did overplay the hell out of this album, it is still oh so amazing. Unfortunately there is just too big of a gap between the Number One album and the rest of the pack. But RJA is definitely the best of the losers in my opinion = )

#1: AFI-DecemberUnderground. No words can describe the album, as i very much expected on my way to Bull Moose Music Store at 11:45 PM on June 5th, 2006. One of the best albums I have ever heard in my life, ranking up there with Master of Puppets (Metallica) and Throwing Copper (Live). Amazing from start to finish and have I ever mentioned that Davey Havok is like less than a God, but more than a man. Almost like Babe Ruth. haha.

Disappointments of 2006:

Tool - 10,000 Days. Top five band of all time in my opinion and they put out an average album? What the hell is that? Maynard James, you disappoint me sir. But you're rich so keep doing whatever it is youre doing = )

Eminem - The Re Up. I will praise eminem till the cows come home. He is the most talented rap artist since 2pac, if not better than him even. The way he can put rhymes together, fast. So amazing. And not just because he is white so shut the fuck up haha. Don't hate haha. But this album? He isnt even really in it. Every song featuring someone else? That isnt em. But I guess he's just getting old and wants to promote others on his label. In my opinion it isn't even his album. It's a Shady Records album with alot of people rapping. Hell there is even a few songs where he is isnt even in the song at all. Bah!!

Trivium - The Crusade. I was so pumped for this. And at best Id say it is OK. Just not the same intensity I got from Ascendancy. That was a top 5 album from 2005. They shoulda taken more time and made something more valuable I think. Although I do like imitation of Metallica. = )

What to look for in 2007:

Obviously Paramore. I also would like to see Metallica's new one hit in early summer. A new 50 Cent would be nice, as well as a new Children of Bodom. Coheed would be a stretch since the last one was such a success. The Used would be nice to see as well. As for the rest, I'll buy and listen and see what it good. It's all about the "out of nowhere" bands like Paramore once was for all of us. Am I right or am i right? haha. 2007 should be good just like 06 was.

holyshit haha jarrod you got really into this thread niceee.

uhmm lets seee in no specific order:

Boys like girls - Boys like girls

decemberunderground - AFI

Dont You fake it - RJA

This Providence - This Providence

the same old blood rush with a new touch - Cute is What we Aim For

The Black Parade - My Chemical Romance

im getting a bunch of cds for Xmas toooooo soo they will probably be added onto the list soo its not complete haha.

JARROD'S TOP TEN.

BTW, IVE BEEN WAITING TO DO THIS HAHA.

#10: Boys Like Girls-Boys Like Girls. Haha I typed it twice. Well I had to start this top ten thing with someone. And BLG seemed like a good place to start. So many great albums this year and somehow a barely known emo band snuck into a metalheads top ten? How the fuck does that happen? lol, great album I must say. I listen to it often. And I get to see them soon, which is a good deal haha.

#9: A Change of Pace-Prepare The Masses. Surprisingly enough, my metal friend showed me these emo, punk, pop, rockers haha. He was like, dude you would like these guys. And sure enough I did. The entire first semester I listened to them repetitively. Amazing album, and I was sad to see I wasnt the first on these boards to find them. lol, oh well. Shows other people here know what they are doing as well.

#8: Korn-See You On The Other Side. Never was a huge fan of Korn until I bought this album and actually listened to it. Then I saw them live and, now they are one of my favorite bands. Funny how those things work out isnt it. lol. Great album, and Jonathan Davis is truly amazing. And that is coming from someone who dispised them and him. Overrated was the term I believe I used. Well, not anymore haha. Korn is good.

#7: The Human Abstract-Nocturne. If you want bizarre and out there. Oh and again if you like metal and a bit of noise too, listen to this. If you know anything about complicated music and drum beats or anything, you will appreciate the hell out of this album. Amazing performers I must say and I owe my metalhead friend Brandon for showing me these guys. I'd say a mix of Coheed, Soulfly, Skindred mixed with Jazzy Metal. lmao.

#6: Breaking Benjamin-Phobia. Good album Expected an insane amount more from them though. The first album was one of my top three albums the year it came out and the last album was my album of 2004, closely followed by Cradle of Filth's Nymphetamine. This album was very good though and had a few amazing songs. I just love Ben Burnley's voice. Great front man, and amazing live show.

#5: All That Remains-The Fall of Ideals. Another metal album. New band I introduced myself to in the summer. I was instantly hooked and I like to think that these guys, oh and one girl, saved my metal-self lol. Great album, amazing singer, drums are off the charts. Great start to the top 5. If you like metal at all, do yourself this favor and purchase all of their albums.

#4: Senses Fail-Still Searching. Should actually be #3. Absolutely incredible. I bought it and didnt listen to it until after about a week. I read in all the magazines how amazing it was and all the hype it was getting so I finally was like OK OK lets hear it. Unreal. Great follow up. Only problem I have with it is the single "Calling all Cars" which is an average song at best. Good stuff.

#3: Cradle of Filth-Thornography. For all you metalheads out there, if there are any here? haha, this was somewhat of a disappointment. At the beginning of the year, this was my #2 most anticipated album, just because I love these guys so much. It definitely wasn't as good as their presious years Nymphetamine, but it gets the job done. Great all around album, but I expected more.

#2: The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus-Don't You Fake It. Random Download and then almost didnt buy the album until a few days before its release I found out that the new album would have alot of new shit. Amazing is all I can say. Although I did overplay the hell out of this album, it is still oh so amazing. Unfortunately there is just too big of a gap between the Number One album and the rest of the pack. But RJA is definitely the best of the losers in my opinion = )

#1: AFI-DecemberUnderground. No words can describe the album, as i very much expected on my way to Bull Moose Music Store at 11:45 PM on June 5th, 2006. One of the best albums I have ever heard in my life, ranking up there with Master of Puppets (Metallica) and Throwing Copper (Live). Amazing from start to finish and have I ever mentioned that Davey Havok is like less than a God, but more than a man. Almost like Babe Ruth. haha.

Disappointments of 2006:

Tool - 10,000 Days. Top five band of all time in my opinion and they put out an average album? What the hell is that? Maynard James, you disappoint me sir. But you're rich so keep doing whatever it is youre doing = )

Eminem - The Re Up. I will praise eminem till the cows come home. He is the most talented rap artist since 2pac, if not better than him even. The way he can put rhymes together, fast. So amazing. And not just because he is white so shut the fuck up haha. Don't hate haha. But this album? He isnt even really in it. Every song featuring someone else? That isnt em. But I guess he's just getting old and wants to promote others on his label. In my opinion it isn't even his album. It's a Shady Records album with alot of people rapping. Hell there is even a few songs where he is isnt even in the song at all. Bah!!

Trivium - The Crusade. I was so pumped for this. And at best Id say it is OK. Just not the same intensity I got from Ascendancy. That was a top 5 album from 2005. They shoulda taken more time and made something more valuable I think. Although I do like imitation of Metallica. = )

What to look for in 2007:

Obviously Paramore. I also would like to see Metallica's new one hit in early summer. A new 50 Cent would be nice, as well as a new Children of Bodom. Coheed would be a stretch since the last one was such a success. The Used would be nice to see as well. As for the rest, I'll buy and listen and see what it good. It's all about the "out of nowhere" bands like Paramore once was for all of us. Am I right or am i right? haha. 2007 should be good just like 06 was.

AHHHH Coheed and Cambria I am pumped for.

I read an interview resently with Claudio and the new record seems like it's going to be super twisted...like even more twisted than the other ones.

I am pumpeddd!

im working on my top 10 right now

but here are some contentions:

new found glory

underoath

hellogoodbye

justin timberlake

john mayer

chiodos(re-released)

gatsbys american dream

my chemical romance

the format (sad to see dog problems isnt on anyone list)

the early november

men women and children

halifax

and i still need to listen to

copeland

every time i die(re-released)

and im sad but none of these have a shot because i havent heard it

cobra starship

plain white t's

senses fail (LOVED their two previous efforts)

In no particular order:

The Format - Dog Problems

This Providence - This Providence

The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - Don't You Fake It

Between the Trees - The Story & The Song

Copeland - Eat, Sleep, Repeat

Daphne Loves Derby - Acoustic EP

October Fall - A Season In Hell

Rookie of the Year - The Goodnight Moon

The Hush Sound - Like Vines

This Is Me Smiling - This Is Me Smiling

Skipping pretty much any song on these is a no-no :)

Like Vines - The Hush Sound

Billy Talent 2 - Billy Talent

Knives Don't Have Your Back - Emily Haines & The Soft Skeleton

Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs! - Hellogoodbye

Sinner - Joan Jett and The Blackhearts

Dying To Say This To You - The Sounds

Continuum - John Mayer

Show Your Bones - Yeah Yeah Yeah's

The Black Parade - My Chemical Romance

Under The Iron Sea - Keane

here is my actual list, with information. i'm going all out like jarrod =]

10) Coming Home//New Found Glory - I'm putting this here, because I thought it was a great effort on their part, to put out something that totally re-defines them as a band. It was very different than their other albums, and probably one of their best.

9)This Providence//This Providence - Dont' really have an explanation for this.

8)Envy On The Coast//Envy On The Coast - An EP, but great. Very catchy songs, and good music.

7) Underage Thinking//Teddy Geiger - Not only does he write great music, his voice' raspiness really brings out the emotion of the songs. I love his lyrics, and everything about his music.

6) Dear Virginia,//Permanent Me - Though this band only released an EP, I think it deserves to be on here. They did a wonderful job with it, and I can't wait for the full length January 23.

5) Define The Great Line//Underoath - I don't usually listen to "hardcore" music, but Underoath just appeals to me. This album is much heavier than their older stuff, and I was afraid I wouldn't like it. However, once you read the lyrics along with the music, and actallyt know what they're saying, it all makes sense, and the message of each song really speaks.

4) Decemberunderground//AFI - Thanks to Jarrod, I picked up this album, and love it. I think they did an amazing job with it. It's a very well rounded album, and full of amazing music.

3)Boys Like Girls//Boys Like Girls - This album, though totally popish, was great. One of the best "pop" albums I've ever heard.

2)Louder Now//Taking Back Sunday - A lot of people were dissapointed with this album, but I love it. I think it shows who the band is, with the "new" lineup they have.

1) Saosin//Saosin - This album is amazing. The vocals on it are out of this world, as well as the music. I don't think i've stopped listening to it since i got it in September. The first album i've ever felt this way about too. Just Amazing. Get it if you don't have it.

These are in no particular order, because I can't play favorites. :]

Meg & Dia ~ Something Real

Cute Is What We Aim For ~ The Same Old Blood Rush With A New Touch

Evanescence ~ The Open Door

This Providence ~ This Providence

Snakes On A Plane Soundtrack

October Fall ~ A Season In Hell

The Veronicas ~ The Secret Life Of...

Jonas Brothers ~ It's About Time

The Wreckers ~ Stand Still, Look Pretty

Songs From Instant Star 2

I won't include AWKIF because it didn't come out in 2006, but obviously, it still had a huge influence on my year.

But even without it, looking back at my list of albums, 2006 was a very good year. And you guys have listed a lot of other worthy contenders as well. These are my 10 favorites from the past year:

Brand New - The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me

Taking Back Sunday - Louder Now

My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade

The Format - Dog Problems

Gatsbys American Dream - s/t

Gym Class Heroes - As Cruel As School Children

Hit The Lights - This Is A Stick Up...Don't Make It A Murder

Karmella's Game - The Art of Distraction

New Found Glory - Coming Home

Punchline - 37 Everywhere