Bad news for EVANESCENCE fans - Rocky Gray Quits - John LeCompt Fired (CONFIRMED)

lavina15

BY GERRY GITTELSON, Staff Writer

Article Last Updated: 05/04/2007 07:04:54 PM PDT

Evanescence guitarist John LeCompt said Friday he's been fired from the band, and he also said drummer Rocky Gray has quit, so things aren't looking good for the multi-platinum, two-time Grammy winning alternative rock act, one of the biggest bands in the world -- but apparantly shrinking by the second.

"I'm done, and I'm pretty upset about it," LeCompt said, calling from Little Rock, Ark., the band's home town. "(Singer) amy lee called and fired me today. There's absolutely no loyalty in this band."

Evanescence, touring in support of its second major release "The Open Door," is on a short break after returning from South Africa. The group has two dates scheduled later this month before plans to tour Europe, beginning in Paris on May 25.

A phone message to the press office at Wind-Up Records in New York seeking comment was not immediately returned.

LeCompt, 34, said he and Gray, 32, plan to pour all their energy into a new band, Machina, managed by Chris Long (Crossfade). Gray wasn't available for comment.

"Machina is an incredible band -- it's rock and roll," LeCompt said.

Evanescence's first major release, "Fallen," featuring the hits "Bring Me to Life" and "My Immortal," has sold 14 millions copies worldwide, 6.6 million in the United States. It's one of eight albums in Billboard history to spend at least one year in the top 50. In 2004, the band won Grammys for Best Hard Rock Performance and Best New Artist.

The followup, "Open Door," was released in October, selling nearly 500,000 copies in the United States in its first week and debuting at No. 1 on Billboard. It's sold about four million worldwide.

This is not the first time Evanescence has had personnel problems. In 2003, guitarist and co-founder Ben Moody quit while the band was touring in Europe, replaced by Terry Balasamo from Cold. Last July, bassist Will Boyd quit, replaced by Tim McCord from Revolution Smile.

Source: http://www.dailynews.com/entertainment/ci_5820737

:crybad:

I really hope this isnt true......i love evanescence......

No, its true that John was fired. Thats why it does say confirmed at the top, and Rocky did quit but he has yet to offically say so due to legal reasons with his contract with Wind-Up, but as soon as his lawyers get his contract straighten out to when he can speak about it he will.

I am in shock about this though, denial if you will. I love ev too so this is very unexpected and hard to swallow...oy...

ow, he was a fired? thats harssh

well, it might seem that way at the moment without a reason from Amy to go along with it. I am not taking sides or going to get pissed until I hear some sort of reason from Amy or Wind-Up. maybe i'm still in denial thats why I'm not pissed or taking sides I dunno. I think everyone should wait for the reasons as to why she fired him before getting too pissed and whatnot...my 2 cents...

On lighter news John and Rocky's band, Machina, is going to be having a showcase for major record labels in the next week or so, so that is cool for them.

well, it might seem that way at the moment without a reason from Amy to go along with it. I am not taking sides or going to get pissed until I hear some sort of reason from Amy or Wind-Up. maybe i'm still in denial thats why I'm not pissed or taking sides I dunno. I think everyone should wait for the reasons as to why she fired him before getting too pissed and whatnot...my 2 cents...

On lighter news John and Rocky's band, Machina, is going to be having a showcase for major record labels in the next week or so, so that is cool for them.

That's awesome. I'll definitely be checking them out.

How does she even have the authority to do that. I never knew Lead Singer = Boss

Amy, when it comes down to it, IS Evanescence. She is the only founding and original member still in the band. This has been her band since she was 14. So Ev won't change that much, just different faces. Don't get me wrong John and Rocky are great musicians, and the guys are an important part in the band, but ev is amy.

And it is awesome for John and Rocky, definatly gonna check out Machina.

^ I agree.

When people think of Evanescence they think of Amy Lee. It's cos her voice is so demanding and unique that you really dont think of anything else when you're listening to them. Not like with Paramore, cos Hayley shares the limelight with Josh, Jeremy, and Zach, Amy is THE face of Evanescence, all the other guys fade in the background.

I don't mean it negatively...but it's true. Of course, I always think its a HUGE shame when band members leave/get fired. I'll have to wait until somebody finally comes out and explains why he was fired to make an opinion, but I doubt it'll make me stop listening to them.

Guest haunted_dreams55

This is what John LeCompt had to say about the situation:

http://evboard.com/showthread.php?t=36011

Hey everyone,

I've been getting your messages all morning and figured I would give a little personal insight to this situation. Around 3:30 pm yesterday I recieved a call on my cell from Amy. This call wasn't from a friend who appreciated me but from an enemy who was prepared to hurt me and my family. Without any warning or negotiotiations for my future, I was fired for no good reason. We have not always seen eye to eye on everything, but who does? Our common goal was always the same. To make Evanescence the best rock band it could ever be. I have always given blood, sweat and tears to make that happen but apparently that is not enough. I have now become just another of the people fallen by the wayside on the revolving door of her life. It's funny how many of us there are now. I guess it's good for lyrical content, though. Maybe I will be among the blessed to have a song written about me, too. Maybe the song will be "Call Me When You're Broke". Whatever, as of next week my band Machina will be doing major label showcases in New York. There is a big buzz for it and we hope it will go well. I'm not going to sit here and be negative because that is not who I am. What I will say it that I know that many of you think she is some genuis or saviour of some kind. I just want you to know that my family and I will forever remember her as being about as deep as the shallow end of a child's wading pool and her lyrics about as deep as the 2 dimensional surface that they were written on. Singing beautifully for the duration of a record or two can move the spirit of the people listening, but the way you treat those around you who you are supposed to care about speaks volumes more than that and I would hope that some of you are listening. Well, that's it. I hope that sheds some light on the current situation for you. Thank you all for the good years and being the most incredible fans and friends. Maybe I will see you again. I am going to play with my little boy now, peace.

Statement from Amy Lee:

"Evanescence is alive and well. John and Rocky were in Evanescence for four years and we shared some great times together playing live, but they were ready to move on and so we have parted ways. Evanescence is something I have loved and nurtured since I was fourteen, and I will continue to protect and fight for it as I always have. Terry, Tim and I are very excited to play live with some amazing new musicians and we will rock harder than ever. Stay tuned for more news on that front. And don't worry about the tour, guys. Nothing will be cancelled and we will see you soon!"

that statement is on their official website as well...

oh and Amy got married today!