spin's riot review

microwave37

3 1/2 out of 5

Fierce Benatar heir leads enterprising pop punkers

On their second album in less than two years, this melodic Tennessee foursome deliver everything that a group of new-school mall punks angling for the big time should--massive guitar riffs, sweetly infectious choruses, and soaring power ballads that are sure to get some play at this year's winter formal. Their biggest asset, though, is Hayley Williams, an 18-year-old siren with a killer fashion sense and an undeniable knack for writing contemplative love songs. In a scene overrun by boring boys with flat-ironed hair, she stands apart. Call her Karen Emo.

Well, at least they didn't hate it. In fact, they liked it about as much as any supposedly hip music magazine could lol...I think Rolling Stone and Spin have a rule where they aren't allowed to give any "scene" record over 3 1/2 stars.

Well, at least they didn't hate it. In fact, they liked it about as much as any supposedly hip music magazine could lol...I think Rolling Stone and Spin have a rule where they aren't allowed to give any "scene" record over 3 1/2 stars.

I think your right. I don't think I've seen a "scene" album ever get more than 3 1/2 stars.

Okay....Where was Karen Emo spawned from? What the heck?! HER NAME IS NOT EVEN KAREN. IF THEY SAID LIKE, "CALL HER HAYLEY EMO" THEN IT WOULD BE A LITTLE MORE UNDERSTANDABLE. But Karen Emo? WHO IS KAREN?!

I think it's a Karen O (Yeah Yeah Yeahs) reference...