Footy Thread

RenegadeRoss

The Romans 2000 years ago weren't highly overpaid.

People in the armed forces, for instance. When on tour, they risk their lives every day. For what cause or for what political gain is irrelivant, they're still doing it for their country. Most ranks get paid just enough to live off. Surely they deserve higher pay, as opposed to professional footballers?

There's enough 3rd world countries that would greatly benefit from an average of £676,000 (~$135,200,0) a year. Perhaps the kids working in the sweat shops to make the balls the football players kick around, and the shirts people spend millions on would get a fairer deal, if that were the case.

Medical research? If only they had that kind of funding...

I could go on.

No, professional football players don't deserve that much for kicking a ball around. Maybe to make it fairer, they should turn the pitch into a minefield. That'd justify their salaries and make football worth watching. They're not really earning all that money. They earn some money, true, but not that much.

Footballers earn too much maybe, but really if I wanna complain about sportsmen that get paid even more, I'd look at American sports like Basketball. Basketball players get paid more and essentially do "less work".

Footballers do so much work with constant training, working out, and sticking to a correct diet. I think they deserve to be paid more than "the average person" but I do agree that some get paid too much. But hey, since there's such a high demand for football - the premier league is shown live in practically every country in the world - people are going to be paid high wages. Plus I think if the clubs actually had the money left over, then they would give it to good causes. There's so many clubs in the football league in debt/money problems it's crazy. And Premier League players often give wages to charities (Arsenal do this a lot).

On the subject of money: Apparently there's a possible Indian consortium interested in taking over Newcastle. And if it happens, Keegan will be back for reign #3.

Players in the top leagues I'll agree can earn too much money. It's not particularly their fault that a clubs rich owner can throw money at them. The problem with football you're highlighting shouldn't be that players are overpaid but that owners of clubs should do something much more worthwhile with their money. But it's their money, they can do with it as they please.

The army get paid by the Government, and in most countries, the army is voluntary. I wouldn't pay anyone for the privilege of serving their country and I'd make it compulsory. But that's why I'm not in charge. The owners of football clubs have no obligation to give the members of the armed forces money, that's up to the Government.

Tell that to the teams in Scotland, most of whom are lucky to get anything above a tenner a week in wages.

Why would the money that football teams earn be better spent elsewhere than on their players earning them that money?

the difference is that the teams in the scottish leagues and the scottish leagues are rather wank imvho, no offence its just true, they are probably league 2 level

the difference is that the teams in the scottish leagues and the scottish leagues are rather wank imvho, no offence its just true, they are probably league 2 level

I know the Scottish League is wank but this:

Football's jus' a load of people that get over-paid millions to kick a ball around a bit, and fake being hurt every so often.

Is a fairly broad statement implying that all football players get overpaid, when in truth, that isn't the case. For the 2nd half of last season, the Gretna players were playing without being paid! And at this time they were the Scottish Cup finalists the season before and were playing in our top league.

Scotland is a fairly loyal country, mostly cause we don't have the money like other leagues do, but even then because of the divide between Rangers and Celtic players show more loyalty to the team they supported as a child.

Many players outside of Rangers and Celtic don't actually move to either club through loyalty. Marc Reynolds of Motherwell and Zander Diamond of Aberdeen are two such examples.

im a hearts fan btw, half scottish me.

i dont understand footballers, they are mercenaries, and will go wherever pays the most, its not like it used to be where players would play somewhere for loyalty.

No ? Look at Ronaldinhio.

Manchester City made a 40M bid for him, and Milan proposed 20M.

He would've been paid more at Manchester City, but still he went to Milan, because this team as an history, and great tiffosi. ;-)

Ronaldinhio even lowered his salary at Milan himself, because he knew about Milan's financial problems.

No ? Look at Ronaldinhio.

Manchester City made a 40M bid for him, and Milan proposed 20M.

He would've been paid more at Manchester City, but still he went to Milan, because this team as an history, and great tiffosi. ;-)

Ronaldinhio even lowered his salary at Milan himself, because he knew about Milan's financial problems.

there are exceptions fuckwit