Shatter

Elbereth

This is a story and (fingers crossed)I hope their allowed.

Chapter One

Trevor doubled over in pain as the warm metallic taste of blood filled his mouth. Then he heard a harsh laugh and a swift impact to his lower back brought him to the ground. Trevor coughed and tried to catch his breath as he started to get up. But then a hard blow to the back of his head made pain explode inside him like shards of broken glass.

“Trevor.” Megan screamed from what seemed like very far away. “Oh God, Trevor get up!”

She sounded so frightened, but as his thoughts grew foggy, Trevor couldn’t think of why. And he couldn’t understand why it was so dark .Wasn’t it daytime?

Another animal- like cry filled his head as a different voice screamed, “Shut the fuck up! Is he dead Brett?” Complete silence and then even louder, “Brett is fuckin dead!”

Someone (probably Brett) yelled,” I don’t know Marcus. He’s not moving.”

“Check his pulse.”

“You fuckin check. I’m getting out of here.”

Trevor heard the quick pound of footfalls and then a strangled cry. Someone came closer to him and he felt soft hands touch his face.

“Trevor,” Megan whimpered. “ Trevor please wake up.”

What had he done….Oh God! What on earth had he done? Why had he gone with Brett down that backstreet alleyway? An image of Trevor facedown in his own blood flooded into Marcus’ mind. He tried to keep it out as he swore to himself that it wasn’t his fault. It was Brett’s. It had been his idea to follow Trevor and Megan when they were walking away from school. Brett said they’d hassle them a little. That was all. Then Brett had turned violent, and hassling become beating the life out of Trevor. Marcus hadn’t touched him though. He’d only held Megan still as she made those god-awful sounds.

Just the thought of them caused beads of cold sweat to break out on the back of Marcus’ neck as acrid bile rose in his throat. Choking; Marcus tried to force it down. But then his whole body started heaving and he had to stop mid -run and drop to the ground.

THIS ISN’T HAPPENING! THIS ISN’T HAPPENING!

Marcus repeated that over and over in his head as his insides came out. But, it was happening. And no matter what he told himself, Marcus knew if Trevor was dead, it was his fault.

You moron, Brett thought disgustedly when he turned and watched Marcus empty his guts on the pavement. Brett seriously considered leaving him to just lay there in his vomit. But he thought better of it and turned back. When he reached him, Marcus was raising himself to stand on shaky legs.

“Are you finished?” Brett asked sharply. Marcus nodded and wiped his trembling mouth. “Then let’s go.”

“No.”

With deceptive softness Brett asked, “What do you mean?”

“I mean I have to go back. I…I need to know if Trevor’s really dead.”

As he waited for Brett’s reaction to what he’d said, Marcus’ body tensed the way a timid dog’s might as it prepared to be struck. Then his eyes probed Brett’s face for any sign of anger. But, there were none. Much to Marcus’ surprise, Brett didn’t lose control. It might have been better if he had though, because the calm unemotional tones Brett used when he spoke were somehow more frightening then any scream.

“Well Marcus,” he said slowly, “let’s assume Trevor really is dead. I wonder…What do you think Megan did after we left, because I’m betting she called the police. So now you’re going to walk back to the scene of the crime and have them charge you with murder. Have I got that right- No wait. Maybe when you get there they won’t have arrived yet. So now it’s just you Megan and the corpse. What exactly are you going to say to her? I mean I really don’t think a sorry quite covers it.”

Marcus was in real danger of being sick again. Acid gushed into his mouth when he thought of Megan kneeling on the ground beside Trevor; her small hands touching his face as she desperately tried to wake him up. When he didn’t, tears would burn on her cheeks and Megan would beg him to open his eyes. But Trevor wouldn’t open his eyes…not ever again.

Oh God! Oh God! Oh God, Marcus thought hysterically. This can’t be real. Please don’t let this be real.

As Marcus used his hand to cover his mouth, he saw Brett’s lips twist wickedly. Then the other boy went in for the kill.

His words cut deeper then any knife as he said, “ Maybe I’m wrong though. Maybe a sorry is not what you have in mind at all. I mean let’s face it, Megan is the only witness isn’t she? And what’s another murder when you’ve already committed one?”

That was enough to send Marcus over the edge and back to the dirt. While his whole body shuddered, he felt the sting of tears in his eyes. Brett made a harsh sound that somewhat resembled a laugh and said, “ I thought you were finished.”

Finished? Marcus thought. Do nightmares finish? If you prove they hold no substance in reality, do they end?

As he lay on the pavement, his head pounding and his throat burning, Marcus knew what he had to do. He didn’t have a choice. No matter what images Brett brought to life , he had to go back. He had to know.

So, Marcus forced himself to get back up and face the satisfied look on Brett’s face. How completely sure of himself he was. Brett thought he would just shut up and follow him. He thought he would be to scared to do anything else.

So Marcus smiled, sad twisted expression, and said, “You’re right Brett. Of course I shouldn’t go.”

Then he turned and walked away.

Bright lights. Red and blue flashing in the golden afternoon sunlight. As emergency workers crowded into the dark alleyway, Marcus hid in the crowd of onlooker and tried to see Megan. She was standing with her face crushed against a police officer’s chest and she was holding onto him like if she let go her legs would crumple beneath her. It was like Megan was gripping her last shred of sanity, and if she fell it would disappear; she would disappear. At that moment Marcus knew Brett really had been right. He was a murder.

If ya like it comment:D

Hey, that was really well written! Really crude and accurate in description... I like that! I haven't read English literature that much, but I think what you wrote wasn't far behind some professional authors that I know.

Storywise, I can't really say anything if it's a part of a larger scheme, but these few paragraphs didn't leave anything to be wanted. It feels as if it's just a short novel since it DOES have an ending, but the story itself isn't anything great if that was all, so I guess you are going to continue it? Maybe you should've made it more obvious that it's going to continue, maybe add something that would've left the story unfinished? Maybe you were going for that kind of ending, maybe not, but I didn't get that vibe at all.

I'm interested in seeing where this will lead. :)

It does say Chapter One at the start though, Pekka.

I didn't read it particularly intensively but the spelling seemed fine although the words chosen, for the most part, seemed basic and it didn't appear to have the greatest structure either. Reading through, it was rather disjointed with sentences starting on the line below the previous one despite there clearly being room to continue. I'll assume this was a copy/paste and that's what caused it but it hindered my reading.

Also, I don't know if this was only exclusive to my education but when we were writing we were always told to have speech on a separate line. That didn't really help me reading this either, but again, that's just the way I was taught.

Sorry it is to be continued. I actually have the whole thing written down but that would be a ginormous post.

Here's chapter 2 and thanks so much 4 reading.

Marcus stared at the face he saw reflected in the mirror. It was really an ordinary one. In spite of vanity, he could even admit it was a little plain. It was not however the face of a monster. So why did he see evil lurking in the eyes that looked out at him from inside the glass?

Leaning closer, Marcus touched the smooth surface of the glass and thought, Because I am that evil. Because I am a monster.

Then, unable to look at himself any longer, Marcus hit out as hard as he could. A shriek escaped his lips as the glass shattered and large silver shards rained onto the countertop. They reflected fractured pieces of himself as crimson blood started to stream down his fingers

and drip onto the floor. Raising his hand, Marcus stared at the cuts that marred his palm until the low ring of his cell phone distracted him.

“Hello,” he said after fishing it out of his pocket to answer it.

“Marcus where are you?” Brett shouted in his ear.

He looked around. He was home…Strange…He couldn’t even remember leaving the crowd in the alleyway. He was definitely home though. Marcus recognized his mother’s robe hanging on the door and his dad’s cologne sitting on the edge of the sink .What would they think of him, Marcus wondered. How disgusted would they be when they found out what he was?

“Marcus!”

“I’m home.”

“What! What happened?”

“I went back.”

“And?”

“And now I know. I know what I am and I know I can’t bear it.”

“Marcus what are you talking about?”

“I’m sorry, but I have to go now Brett.”

“Wait! What about Trevor?”

“He’s dead”

“Trevor’s…he’s really dead…Marcus that has to be wrong.”

“Goodbye Brett.”

Marcus let the phone fall to the ground and then picked up a piece of glass with his blood slicked hand.

“I’m sorry Megan,” he whispered.

Fear is a little like poison. Once it’s in your bloodstream, it’s almost impossible to flush out. As Brett stared unseeingly at the payphone in his hand, he could all but feel it coursing through his veins. It quickly reached his mind because Brett’s thoughts soon became less and less objective. And then he was just thinking the same thing over and over again.

It can’t be true.

He stood there for what felt like forever trying to convince himself of that. But Marcus’ words kept intruding on his conciousness .

“He’s dead,” Brett said aloud ,but to no one at all.

Then he shook his head and thought, Marcus has to be wrong. Trevor can not be dead. I can’t have killed him. Marcus…just has to be wrong.”

Brett’s thought drifted to what Marcus had been saying before that and how confused he’d been by it.

“Now I know. I know what I am and I know I can’t bear it.”

Those words suddenly made to much sense. As he looked out on the streets bathed in bloody evening light, Brett thought once again, Marcus you moron.

Fear was overshadowed by anger by anger for a minute as he considered what it meant if

Marcus had been stupid enough to commit suicide. It mean no one would ever believe he was innocent for a second and no alibi would ever be strong enough. There was nothing quite as incriminating as the accessory becoming so overcome by guilt he ended his own life.

A fresh wave of panic slammed into Brett. For the first time ever he was at a complete loss over what to do. What could he do? Brett’s first instinct was simple. Run. Just go as far and as fast as he could. So far they would never ever find him. But the he remembered something. What exactly had he asked Marcus?

“What’s another murder when you’ve already committed one?”

What indeed? But, would it do any good? The police already knew what he’d done and soon everyone would. But Megan was the only one who knew for sure. She was the only one who could look him strait in the eyes and say, He did it. He killed Trevor Freeman.

2 be continued!

You said she would have made it more obvious she was continuing. Not to say that I disagree with your point, cause I do agree with you. It did seem to be "finished" by the end but surely if that was the case, logically she wouldn't have labelled it Chapter One to begin with?

It does say Chapter One at the start though, Pekka.

I didn't read it particularly intensively but the spelling seemed fine although the words chosen, for the most part, seemed basic and it didn't appear to have the greatest structure either. Reading through, it was rather disjointed with sentences starting on the line below the previous one despite there clearly being room to continue. I'll assume this was a copy/paste and that's what caused it but it hindered my reading.

Also, I don't know if this was only exclusive to my education but when we were writing we were always told to have speech on a separate line. That didn't really help me reading this either, but again, that's just the way I was taught.

Uh... I appreciate the con crit,but C'mon dude.Let's not get 2 technical.

You said she would have made it more obvious she was continuing. Not to say that I disagree with your point, cause I do agree with you. It did seem to be "finished" by the end but surely if that was the case, logically she wouldn't have labelled it Chapter One to begin with?

And by that, I meant she should've made it more obvious in the story itself. *insert the post I made earlier*

I gave that advice for the upcoming parts of the story, but it's unnecessary now since Anne had the whole thing written already. :)

And back in school, I was taught that speeches would only have to be on a separate line if they are written with...is it a "double rule" in english? Like this:

-INSULT, Pekka began

-RETORT, Ross countered

-COUNTER RETORT, Pekka answered, seemingly running out of good comebacks

but you don't need them on separate lines if they are written in quotation marks, like this: "QUESTIONING OF SEXUAL PREFERENCE", Pekka retorted. "SUGGESTION TO SHUT THE FUCK UP", slammed Ross on Pekka's face.

And by that, I meant she should've made it more obvious in the story itself. *insert the post I made earlier*

I gave that advice for the upcoming parts of the story, but it's unnecessary now since Anne had the whole thing written already. :)

And back in school, I was taught that speeches would only have to be on a separate line if they are written with...is it a "double rule" in english? Like this:

-INSULT, Pekka began

-RETORT, Ross countered

but you don't need them on separate lines if they are written in quotation marks, like this: "QUESTIONING OF SEXUAL PREFERENCE", Pekka retorted. "SUGGESTION TO SHUT THE FUCK UP", slammed Ross on Pekka's face.

"New speaker, new line" is the rule. So yes, speech can be continued on the same line but only when it is the same speaker, not because the speech is in quotation marks.

At least, that's how I was taught. Like I said.

-INSULT, Pekka began

-RETORT, Ross countered

^thanks everyone and lol on the last bit of this post.

Chapter Three

This is how it started, Trevor realized with a sick feeling of dé jà vu as he stared down the dim length of alleyway that stretched out in front of him. Trevor knew without even looking that Megan was walking beside him listening intently to the footsteps behind them.

In a minute she would ask, “Are they following us Trevor?”

He would smirk and say, “I highly doubt it.”

Then she would blush and say, “I just noticed they’ve been behind us since we left school.”

He would frown and glance back just as Brett shouted, “Fucking Emo cliche!”

Raising his dark brows he would ask, “Now why would he say that?”

Megan would reply in a forced attempt at humor, “Well Trevor you’re fingernails are black and I’m pretty sure you’re wearing my eyeliner. You had that one coming.”

Before he could speak Brett would shout out, “You know Megan, if you want to stay invisible you shouldn’t hang out with such a fuckin freak show .”

He would reach out and take her hand. Holding it tightly, he would tell himself it didn’t matter. Nothing they could say would ever matter. Then Brett would say something that did; something that broke his barely held silence

“ But then maybe even Trevor’s not enough to make people see you. No one can ever see a ghost.”

Without even really meaning to , he would turn and scream so loud it hurt his lungs, “Keep your fuckin mouth shut Brett.”

And that would it. That would be all the excuse Brett needed. They would get in a fight and Brett would win.

So as Trevor stood and looked at the all too familiar alleyway he asked Megan, “Do you trust me?”

She sounded a little confused when she replied, “Of course I do.”

“Then run,” he whispered as he grabbed her hand.

Just when his feet began to move, the city grew blurry around him and Trevor knew he was dreaming. The sun seemed to expand and then it almost felt like they had taken flight. He held tight to Megan’s hand as everything around him turned to burning brightness.

Then Trevor saw white. Not a pure blinding white, but rather a sterile almost harsh sort of white. Staring at it he longed for a trace of dirt or anything else that would soften it’s impact on his eyes.

This can not be heaven, he thought as he closed his lids to block out the offensive color.

Then Trevor snapped them back open because he heard Megan’s voice ask, “Are you awake?”

This time he saw her face instead of the whiteness and Trevor thought he might be in heaven after all. She had never looked more like an angel then at that moment.

As she stared at him with emotion darkened eyes, he could only say, “Hi Meg.”

It was stupid and pretty inane considering there was so much else to say. But ,for some reason, Trevor couldn’t think of anything else except her; except the way she was looking at him. Looking at her, Trevor couldn’t help but raise his hand up to touch Megan’s cheek. Then, as he traced the line of her jaw with his fingertips, she did something he did not expect.

Megan started to kiss him! On his chin, his forehead ,and well pretty much all over his face. When she came to rest on his lips, Trevor could taste the salt of her tears on her mouth. He thought he had to be dying or something equally awful, because why else would she do it? Why else would Megan kiss him so urgently, so desperately, and so much like he was more then just her friend?

“Trevor promise me,” she said a minute later, “promise me you’ll never ever scare me like that again.”

He stared into the brown eyes not two inches away and said, “I didn’t exactly mean to get beaten to a pulp.”

Megan let out a half -hysterical laugh and said, “No, but you have to try extra hard not to. Without you my life doesn’t matter.”

Trevor wrapped his arms around her and pulled her against his chest. He held Megan so close it made every bruise there feel on fire. But he didn’t care because it was more then worth it.

It was so much more then worth it to be able to whisper in her ear, “Without you I don’t exist.”

And he knew he meant it. Trevor knew without Megan he would melt away like the shadows in the coming dawn. Because at that moment he realized he loved her and he always had.

I hope you like it. More to come if ya do:D

• 3 weeks later...

Chapter Four

When Trevor opened his eyes for the second time, his vision was blurred and his limbs felt heavy; like he was deep under water being weighed down by bricks. He didn’t feel any pain, just the numbing effect the medication they’d given him had on his system. Trevor rubbed his face and tried to shake it off. But, everything was still a little hazy when he looked around the room.

To his right Megan was slumped in chair beside his bed. Her soft brown eyes were wide and unfocused; like she wasn’t really reading the magazine draped in her lap.

She looked exhausted .No, more then that. Megan looked …drained. Except for the deep purple rings around her eyes, the color had completely left her face . Her normally wavy copper colored hair hung in a limp curtain around her shoulders. Megan looked like she hadn’t slept in an eternity and she probably felt like it too. But somehow she was still awake, still watchful, and still filled with so much nervous energy it seemed to radiate from her skin.

Trevor almost couldn’t look at her. He felt an ache surface that had nothing to do with his injuries; a pain that no medication could numb. He wanted reach out to Megan. More then anything he wanted to hold her close and tell her he loved her and he would never ever stop. Even when the sun exploded and the stars fell from the sky. Even when the moon turned black and ceased to shed her bright light. At the end of all things, when the entire earth was reduced to darkness, Trevor would love her. The question was, did Megan love him? He wasn’t brave enough to ask that.

So he just asked casually, “What time is it ?”

She looked up and smiled tiredly before saying, “Time for you to go back to sleep.”

“That means it’s really really late right?”

Smothering a chuckle, Megan nodded and said, “Yea.”

“ You shouldn’t still be here.”

“ I can’t just leave you,” she said quietly.

Trevor wanted to beg her to stay with him forever, but he couldn’t let her sit there; wide awake and unmoving. She needed to go home. She had to sleep.

So he asked with as much bravado as he could muster, “Why not Meg? It’s not like I’m mortally wounded or something. I mean, I don’t even have any battle scars.”

Megan rolled her eyes and no doubt thought with a long suffering sigh, MEN!

Then she got up and said, “ Okay, I’ll go, but before I do you need you to know something.”

“What,” Trevor managed to ask before he was being kissed once again.

“I love you,” she whispered in his ear.

Then she was gone.

As Megan climbed the stairs in her apartment building, she tried to force herself to breathe. Just breathe. She knew it was a really simple process. Oxygen in. Carbon dioxide out. That wasn’t in any way hard or complicated. So why couldn’t she do it? Why couldn’t she make herself breathe? Maybe she was suffering from some kind of delayed shock. The horror of the day was to much for her body to handle, so it was shutting down. That was a good excuse. It was much better then admitting the truth. She was choking up. Because she was going to have to face Trevor in the morning and convince him she wasn’t completely crazy. That would be difficult considering she wasn’t even sure of her sanity. And why should she be? What sane person kissed her best friend and then told him she loved him?

One without any sense of self preservation at all, Megan thought. Then she gave into the burning sensation in her chest and the air felt like it had turned the consistency of maple syrup.

The words themselves really weren’t that bad. I love you could mean a friendly love.

Oh right, Megan thought as she unlocked her front door, and when I kissed him it was just a friendly kind of kiss.

Sighing loudly, Megan dragged herself into her small living room. Then she collapsed on a sofa she’d bought a thrift store. As she stretched out , Megan realized she was so tired it hurt. Her entire body was begging her to go to sleep, but her mind wouldn’t let her. She closed her eyes and tried to block off her thoughts completely. But there were just to many images that refused to be exorcized.

Behind her lids Megan could still Trevor trying to fight Brett .She still saw him ready to do anything to protect her. As tears seared her cheeks, Megan realized that was when she knew. That was when she knew she needed Trevor. That was when she knew without him her life would never make sense. Then she had been forced to watch him fall and it had felt so much like dying. It felt like someone reached out and tore her still beating heart from her chest. So how could Megan not tell Trevor she loved him when she saw him awake and breathing?

She could see exactly the way he looked in the hospital. Trevor’s raven hair had been tangled and damp with sweat, his translucent skin had been bruised purple-black in places, but his pale ice blue eyes could only be described as alive. And when she gazed into them Megan had come completely undone.

There was blood…blood everywhere. It was hot and sticky on Marcus skin and it smelled …wrong. Almost like rust, but with an all to human edge that made him feel like gagging. He started wiping it off, but even as he did there seemed to be more on him.

Where the hell is it coming from? Marcus thought confusedly as he looked at his dripping wet hands. It wasn’t until he turned them palms up that Marcus saw the twin cuts on his wrists.

Screaming. It was so loud it hurt his ears. Was it him? Was he screaming? He had to be. There was no one else. Only brightness.

Marcus opened his eyes to the morning light and realized he was still yelling. Forcing himself to stop, he gasped in a lungful of burning air and looked wildly around. Like a caged animal, Marcus fearfully took in the room he was held captive in. It was a hospital room. That much was obvious from the minimalist décor and hash white color scheme. But didn’t a hospital room mean life? Didn’t it mean existing? How was that possible after what he’d done? Looking down Marcus saw the thick bandages around his wrists and he started to shake.

When a nurse walked into his room a few minutes later to check on Marcus, she found him sobbing and whispering just loud enough to hear, “Why God…Why me? Why not Trevor? Why couldn’t he have lived?”

Brett spent the night on an uncomfortably lumpy hotel bed. He dreamed, but it was not of blood and brightness. His dream was devoid of any mental images. He couldn’t see anything. But he could hear…

A soft sweet voice, barely more then a whisper, filled every corner of Brett’s mind as it said, “I know.” There was a long silence as he waited for it to say more and then, “I know. I know. I KNOW!”

“What?” he was forced to ask before the screaming drove him crazy.

“I know what you’ve done.”

The pure unadulterated loathing that was injected into those five words sent fear rippling down Brett’s spine, but he tried not to show it when he asked, “And what’s that?”

“Killer,” it hissed like a serpent.

“That was an accident. I didn’t mean to do it.”

“Maybe you didn’t, but you’re glad of it now. Aren’t you?”

Irritation leaked into Brett’s voice as he said very slowly, “I don’t want to go to jail. I did not mean for Trevor to die-”

“But now that he has,” the stranger cut him off. “Now that what’s happened has happened and it can’t be changed YOU ARE GLAD AREN”T YOU!”

The voice…Oh God! Why hadn’t he noticed it before? There was really only one person it could be.

Brett smiled and yelled, “Yes! I’m gad he’s dead and I’ll be even more glad when you are you stupid bitch.”

Silence; unbroken by her this time.

So he shouted, “ What? Did you think I wouldn’t realize it was you? Well Megan, I heard you so hear me. You will be joining your freak soon enough.”

Then Brett woke up. Sweat was pouring off his skin and his heart was racing, but he knew what he had to do. He grabbed the phonebook off the nightstand and quickly found Megan Alexander’s full address. Then he took a pen and copied it onto his palm.

Trevor tried to ignore the black bruises that mottled his snow white skin the next morning. But when he took his hospital gown off to change back into his cloths, it was impossible not to stare at the ugly dark marks. They climbed all the way up his stomach and ribcage to cover his chest in unnatural color. Grimacing, Trevor lightly touched a spot near his collarbone that still felt raw. When he did ,Trevor couldn’t help thinking of the reason he had all his bruises.

His fingernails dug into his palms to control his desire to hit something. Trevor tightly shut his eyes and told himself yet again that it didn’t matter. Nothing mattered but Megan and the words she’d whispered . When she spoke them, Trevor could hardly believe he wasn’t dreaming, but now he knew the memory was to real to be imagined. So there was a smile on his face when he opened his door and stepped into the hall.

Trevor didn’t even notice the guy waiting for him there until he was asked, “Are you Trevor Freeman?”

“Yes,” he answered as he turned around in surprise.

“I’m Danny Wyler. I’m a police officer and I need to speak with you about Marcus Brody.”

“Okay.”

There was a heavy silence and then Danny said, “Marcus was brought to this hospital after he attempted to commit suicide. It seems he did it because he was under the impression he murdered you.”

“Oh my God,” Trevor whispered.

He was to shocked to say anything more. In his head he could hear Marcus screaming, “Is he dead!”

After a minute, Danny said, “I was hoping you would speak with him.”

Trevor thought about it. Maybe he even considered it. But then he remembered who was waiting for him and said, “ I’m sorry but I don’t have time to ease Marcus’ conscience right now. I’m going home.”

Danny Wyler watched Trevor walk away with a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach. If he had stayed it would be so much easier to convince Marcus he wasn’t a murderer. Now Danny would have to convince him of that fact or he would scare more nurses with his guilt ridden confessions.

Sighing, he turned to go back to Marcus’ room.

Danny really couldn’t blame Trevor for leaving. If he could, he’d was his hands of the situation too. Not for the first time, Danny considered a change in careers.

As soon as he pushed past the hospital exit doors, Trevor flipped his phone open to call Megan. He’d tell her he was coming and then step onto the street corner to hail a cab. Then, as Trevor went to punch in Megan’s number, something occurred to him and he had to choke back an instant surge of bitterness.

Not one message. Not one missed call. He’d been gone half the previous day and the entire night. Has Laura even wondered where he was?

Of course she didn’t, Trevor thought angrily. Why should she? I’m only her son.

“Love you too Mom,” Trevor muttered through clenched teeth as he dialed Megan’s number and waited for the sound of her voice.

When he got her answering machine, Trevor blinked back the brightness in his eyes and said, “I guess you’re still asleep, but if you get this, I’ll see you soon. And…please don’t be mad I left the hospital so early. I’m fine. Really. I just… I need to see you Meg.”

:hug: Hope you like it!

Thanx guys!

Chapter five

When Marcus heard someone say his name, he jackknifed into a sitting position. Then his gaze flew to the doorway as a single thought speared through him.

They’ve come for me.

But the young man Marcus saw standing across the room was not what he expected. He was thin, almost painfully so, with shaggy dust colored hair and an expression that looked …nervous? He looked like someone who was new to his job and not particularly enjoying it.

He sounded very professional though when he walked forward and said, “Hello. I’m Officer Wyler. I’ve come to talk with you about Trevor Freeman.”

Danny’s body grew tense as he waited for Marcus to scream, cry, and just have an all out panic attack. But he didn’t. His face turned deathly white and his eyes widened in fear, but Marcus didn’t make a sound. He was completely silent as he waited for the axe to fall.

When Danny spoke, he very calmly told him, “ Marcus Brody I have to read you your rights.”

He heard an unintelligible whimper and the words NEVER SHOULD HAVE JOINED THE FORCE bounced back and forth inside his head. Then he clearly recited Marcus’ rights. His eyes were about a foot above the boy’s head as he did it though.

Afterward Danny had to ask, “Do you understand your rights as they have been read to you?” Marcus made another strange noise and Danny muttered, “I’ll take that as a yes.” Then he told him, “I can’t arrest you now for obvious reasons, but it’s my duty to inform you you’ve been charged with several crimes including assault and assisting in the assault-”

Marcus cut him off to finally say something. He asked haltingly, “Wha…What do you mean assault?”

Now comes the screaming, Danny thought as he said, “I mean you didn’t kill Trevor. No one did, because he isn’t dead.”

After he spoke, Danny watched Marcus change. It was almost like he became someone completely different in an instant. All his quiet resignation disappeared as every line in Marcus’ body twisted up with tension. And his eyes…well, they almost didn’t seem human anymore. Because how could a person possibly bear the emotions that swam in their silver depths? How could Marcus stand life inside his own head? Looking at the white bandages on the boy’s wrists, Danny realized that he couldn’t.

It had to be true. Because if it was…Oh God, if it was that meant it was okay that he’d lived too. Holding his arms tightly against his chest, Marcus fought down the sob in his throat. He tried to stay in control of himself, but he really couldn’t stop the tears that stung his eyes.

A mistake, he thought. It was just a stupid mistake. It was just something his mind had invented when he’d seen the ambulances and Megan. She really had looked so much like her world was caving in around her. It hadn’t been though, because Officer Wyler couldn’t be lying could he?

Looking him in the eye, Marcus said, “Promise me. Tell me you know for absolute certain Trevor’s really alright.”

The young officers brow creased as he asked, “Why would I lie?”

“To keep me from freaking out or I… I don’t even know,” Marcus stammered. “Just promise!”

“Okay. I promise. Trevor’s really alright. I spoke to him not five minutes ago.”

For a second Marcus blanked. Then he said almost disbelievingly, “You talked to him.”

“Yes.”

“Meaning what? Is he here? At the hospital?”

Officer Wyler looked strangely uncomfortable as he said, “No. He went home after I spoke with him.”

“Home,” Marcus repeated.

He savored the sound of the word. It made him feel a little less filthy to imagine Trevor leaving; just brushing off the dirt and going home. He might even be with Megan. Marcus glanced at the phone and wondered if her number was listed.

This is it. This is how it all ends or maybe just begins. Either way, it’s how it has to be, Brett thought.

He was standing alone in a corridor that was just starting to be brightened by the first rays of morning light. As the pools of shadows disappeared around him, Brett’s gaze stayed fixed on the battered door he stood in front of. He knew in a minute he would walk through that door. Then at six a.m. on a Saturday he would kill Megan Alexander. He also knew it would be more intelligent to wait for night and the cover of darkness. But when he touched the chipped gold doorknob, he knew he couldn’t make himself do that. It had to be over.

This has to end, Brett thought as he started to turn the knob. Then he realized he was locked out. It wasn’t really surprising considering what part of town he was in. After he entered the apartment building, Brett could still feel the seedy filth of the streets he’d walked.

“You’d have to be stupid not to lock your door,” he muttered as he double checked the corridor to make sure it was still empty. Then Brett pulled a credit card out of his wallet to try to disengage the lock. After a few minutes, he heard the soft click he was waiting for. Then he pushed past the door and walked into the room beyond.

It’s strange, Brett thought as he stared down impassively at Megan. People normally looked so peaceful when they slept. Every care or worry they had just seemed to disappear as they slipped into nothingness. Not Megan. Even asleep she looked like she wasn’t really resting. It was like her body had betrayed her by giving into exhaustion while she lay on her couch.

It was better that way. It made things easier if Megan was asleep. He could kill her quickly and quietly. And then it would be over. But first, he needed something to kill Megan with. Brett’s eyes darted around the room as he wondered what he could use. What he wanted was an actual weapon. Something like a gun or a knife. A knife…Of course! That was perfect. Megan had to have at least one in her kitchen. Smiling satisfied, Brett went to go look.

After going through a few different drawers, he found what he was looking for. A long thin knife with a dangerously sharp edge. Brett picked it up and held it to his side as he started to walk back to the living room. That was when he heard a noise that made his blood run cold. A phone was ringing VERY LOUDLY.

Shit! Shit! Shit! Brett thought viciously as he froze in place. The phone was sitting on the coffee table right in front of the couch. There was no way it wouldn’t wake her up.

The thing went off for what felt like a long long time. Then Brett heard a sleepy female voice say, “Hello.”

Brett held his breath and listened closely. He tried to think of what to do, but then his mind went blank, because the next thing Megan said didn’t make any sense.

“Marcus!” she cried angrily. “How dare you call me. After what you did, how dare you call me?”

How could Marcus call her at all? He was suppose to be dead!

“No. I…What are you taking about?” Megan asked to confusedly after he said something.

What had Marcus said? Why was he calling her? Had he confessed?

Had he told someone what they’d done? To blinded by anger and fear to consider the consequences, Brett marched into the next room to

find out.

Thanks pat!!!:hug:

Chapter six

“No,” Megan answered him; clearly confused. “I…What are you talking about?”

Marcus couldn’t answer her. He could only shut his eyes and hold the phone so tight it hurt his hand. No. He’d asked Megan if Trevor was dead and she’d replied no. It didn’t seem possible that she was telling the truth, but Marcus knew she was. She had to be.

He bit his lip so hard he tasted blood. Then Marcus said, “I’m talking about a mistake. I can’t really explain in right now, but when you see Trevor tell him I’m so very sorry.”

He waited for the cold angry reply he knew was coming, but there was only silence. Had Megan hung up? Marcus what about to say her name when he heard it…heavy panicked breathing.

Gripping the phone even tighter, he asked, “What’s wrong Megan?”

She whispered so quietly he almost didn’t hear, “Help me Marcus.”

Then the line went dead and he screamed, “Officer Wyler!”

When Megan realized Brett was behind her, he was only a few feet away. She noticed a flicker of movement in her T.V. screen and then she saw it was him. And unless she was very much mistaken he was holding a knife in one hand.

She found herself whispering, “Help me Marcus.”

Then Megan jumped to her feet and ran.

Brett watched as Megan dropped her phone and then kicked away from the couch. She didn’t pause to look at him or ask why he was there. She just ran. Brett’s eyes darted from her to the exit; judging the distance. Then he went after her.

Brett caught up with Megan in a matter of seconds. Before she reached the door, he grabbed onto her and they both fell forward in a tangle of arms and legs. As Brett landed hard on her, Megan let out a shrill cry of pain. It wasn’t until he felt the wet heat of her blood on his hands that Brett realized he’d stabbed her.

I did it, he thought as a sense of triumph flooded his body.

But he’d got her in the hip . And though the wound was gushing , she was still very much alive. So Brett grabbed the knife handle. Then he tugged the blade out and her blood rushed even faster out of the opening. He was preparing to drive it back in when it happened.

The door opened and he thought, It’s not possible.

Pain. White hot, it invaded Megan’s senses until there was nothing, .Nothing ,but the feeling of metal in her flesh and the sickly warm sensation of blood. When she felt it’s thick liquid heat on her skin, Megan realized how much she blood she was actually lousing. Then , when her vision started to go grey around the edges, Megan knew.

She knew, but her mind still cried out angrily, No! Not now. I can’t be dying. I’m to close to having everything that’s ever mattered. I’m to close to having Trevor to lose him like this.

Then Megan felt the knife being pulled out of her and time almost seemed like it slowed down. As the room began to darken, it happened. The front door opened and Megan saw him.

“Trevor ,” she screamed; reaching her hand out towards him. But even as she did, everything went completely black.

It wasn’t like Megan thought it would be. It didn’t feel like she was slipping quietly into a starless night. It felt like someone had grabbed her with cold ruthless fingers and dragged her under icy water. Megan couldn’t breathe. She couldn’t speak. She could only go down gasping for air and thinking, No. I won’t leave him! I won’t…

Not possible.

Brett thought those words again and again. He couldn’t seem to make himself stop. They just kept repeating themselves inside his head. Because, how could it be possible? How could it be true when he had been so sure Trevor was dead?

Then Brett remembered what had made his so sure and he thought, Oh shit.

Had he actually done it? Had he put his entire future at stake over something Marcus Brody told him?

Not possible. Maybe if he thought that enough Trevor would disappear. Not possible. Not possible. Not possible.

No. He was still there. Trevor was so close Brett noticed the way his paper white skin turned ashen where it wasn’t bruised purple-black. He was so close Brett could see the look in his ice blue eyes.

When Danny stepped into Marcus’ room, he knew something was very wrong. Marcus had gotten out of bed and he was pulling on rumpled street cloths like he thought he was going somewhere. He wasn’t, but Danny was almost sure Marcus wasn’t aware of that fact.

So he wasn’t exactly surprised when Marcus looked at him and said breathlessly, “We’re leaving.”

Danny was a little confused that it was “we’re” and not I’m. Why would Marcus want him to come too? Looking closer, Danny noticed the sheen of sweat on Marcus’ brow and realized the answer. Marcus was scared.

“Where do you plan on going?” he decided to ask him.

“Megan’s apartment. She’s in trouble. We need to go now!”

“Megan? Wait isn’t that the girl who-”

“Filed charges against me. Yes.”

“How do you know she’s in trouble?” Danny asked feeling more and more lost. Marcus explained the phone call in a rush of frantic words and he shouted, “You should have told me that in the first place. I can send someone. We don’t have to go!”

“I am going,” Marcus said with a look of complete determination in his eyes. “You need to decide if you’re coming too or not Officer Wyler.”

Then Marcus stalked past him. Danny thought, this is not a good idea, but he went to follow him down the hall. He probably hadn’t heard anything at all , right?

The sound of their footsteps seemed unusually loud to Danny. As he walked with Marcus down the hospital corridors the noise rubber made against linoleum echoed off the walls. It was a steady tap- tap -tap that put his already tense nerves even more on edge. What if Marcus really had heard Megan beg for help, Danny wondered uneasily as he tried to ignore it. What would happen if they showed up at her apartment and she was really in trouble? Or what if she was dead?

Tap-Tap-Tap

His eyes darted to the person beside him. If Marcus saw Megan’s cold lifeless body , it would destroy him. Any sanity he had left would crumble to nothing . Marcus would lose himself forever at eighteen.

It’s too young, Danny thought. He’s too young for me to risk anything happening.

Maybe if he was older Danny wouldn’t be worried, but Marcus was a kid. He was a messed up teen who did not need a reason to try to kill himself again. The second time he might succeed and it would be such a waste. Such an awful senseless waste. Like Joseph…

Tap-Tap-Tap

No, Danny thought fiercely as the past came flooding in. I won’t go there. I can’t be there.

But he couldn’t stop the flow of memories, and he soon found he was there. Danny was standing in the bright May sunshine staring at his brother Joseph’s coffin. He could hear his mother’s sobs over the droning of the preacher and all he felt was confusion. Why had Joseph done it? Why had he left them all on purpose? It didn’t make sense.

Tap-Tap-Tap

Danny was pulled back to the present with tears burning bright in his eyes. He blinked them away, but his voice was thick with emotion when he said, “I can’t let you come with me Marcus.”

The boy’s whole body froze as he asked, “Are you sure.”

Knowing how Marcus would react to his answer, Danny turned to check the corridor for a nurse. But as he did, someone hit him very hard on the back of the head.

After he knocked him out with a cane that was in the hall, Marcus took three things from Danny Wyler. His cell phone, his car keys and his gun. When he walked through the exit doors, Marcus used the phone to call the hospital. He told them Megan’s address and asked them to send an ambulance right away. Because when he reached her, Megan could be fine, but she could also be dying. Some faceless stranger could be standing over her unmoving body.

Marcus’ hand was shaking when he unlocked the black and white police sedan in the parking lot.

He felt like he had wasted to much time already. Every minute that passed seemed like the minute he was to late.

No, Marcus thought as he started the car. I won’t fail her. I was the monster before, but not this time.