Music Recommendation Week 12 : Harry

Harry

Okay, so here we go, week 12 folks (more like week 20 because some other people before me posted theirs epically late:rotfl:)

I actually made a conscious effort to look through people's last fm lists to see what people already have listened to, in an effort to introduce you guys to some genuinely new stuff you haven't heard.

Dash And Will

Dash++Will.jpg

Dash and Will are an indie/alternative/pop duo from Melbourne, Australia, which is of course my home town.

I found out about them while reading one of those street press thing magazines that lists all the gigs in Melbourne and has upcoming albums and reviews and stuff sometime in August last year.

I forgot about them for a while, but sometime in early October I heard them for the first time and just had to buy some of their music, so I ended up buying their EP "Fighting Over Nothing" in the middle October.

This is probably the most pop-py music I own, but I absolute love their music.

It was also quite refreshing to hear some Melbourne girls who actually sing like AUSTRALIAN girls, rather than attempting to mimic American artists as so many seem to do here in Australia sadly

This is off their same EP that I bought

And here's the myspace page, which features some songs off their new full length album:

http://www.myspace.com/dashandwill

Antarctic

l_36df07b1f25f4541a3041b1032858287.jpg

Antarctic are a math rock/post rock/indie band based in Augustine/Jacksonville, Florida, US.

I literally only found out about these guys less than 24 hours ago and heard some of their songs and was blown away rather quickly.

I know math rock isn't a commonly known genre around the PF board, but I'm quite an avid post rock fan, and this band features plenty of post rock elements which would not alienate the seasoned post rock listener, so definitely give them a go.

http://www.myspace.com/antarcticsounds

These Arms Are Snakes

l_5c420dfbc205b619437afce99f81c567.jpg

These Arms Are Snakes are a Seattle, Washington based experimental/ post-hardcore band and I found out about these guys ages ago, but never really listened to them until about 2 months ago.

I've always been a bit of a post hardcore fan from when I was a bit younger (first got into the post hardcore genre when I was about 15 years old and it's since remained my favorite sub genre of punk/hardcore ), and as of late I've just wanted to seek out some of the more modern bands in the genre.

Something about These Arms Are Snakes just kind of stuck out for me, because they seem a bit less conventional and just more daring with their compositions than many of the bands I've heard coming out of the genre.

If anyone here is familiar with the bands Kill Sadie and Botch, These Arms are Snakes features members formerly of both those bands

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=2399920

The Dash & Will song is pretty awesome. Reminds me of Tegan and Sara a bit,but it's okay. And antarctic is a bit... different for my tastes,but not bad. "This product forbids the swallow" sounds nice and I'd dare to say it has a calming effect. :shifty:

Not sure about These arms are snakes though. The songs you posted are a bit weird... Maybe they'll grow on me,but I'm not sure about it in this moment.

Nice recommendations anyway! They're different,but in a good way.

Dash & Will didn't do anything for me and I don't really see the mindblowing thing about Antarctic. :P It was fun to listen to at first, but the soundworld got kinda dull after a few songs and after the realization that it wasn't going to change much. Nooot for me.

These Arms Are Snakes was the most interesting one, mainly because it didn't sound like what I thought a post-hardcore band would sound like...I don't know, I connected the band with Neurosis in some places. Don't kill me if you disagree.

Were the recommendations really so bad that I'm the second person saying anything after they've been here for a week? At least post "these bands are bad and you should feel bad" to let Harry know that he's efforts didn't go to waste. :lol:

Okay, so here we go, week 12 folks (more like week 20 because some other people before me posted theirs epically late:rotfl:)

Yeah I know, I posted mine late on purpose. I didn't think people would give a shit cause the idea of Music Recommendation seemed to be getting less and less popular. Sheesh. :P

Yeah I know, I posted mine late on purpose. I didn't think people would give a shit cause the idea of Music Recommendation seemed to be getting less and less popular. Sheesh. :P

And you post that as a reply almost a week after Harry made his post, in ironically cool fashion :P:shifty: