mtvu throws new bands in: the hot seat!!!

chrisseh11

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that was a bunch of crap... I mean what in the world hayley!? Why would you swear!? I dont understand... I am literally speachles, and unbelievably disappointed. If it was anyone else, I wouldnt have cared... but not you! I was so impressed with you guys... you took a strong stand on a label filled with bands that feel as though swearing somehow makes them more hardcore or "cool"... you have always been such an inspiration to me, but now... I just dont know... Dont get me wrong people, Im not a stick in the mud, like I said, anyone else wouldnt have bugged me, but frankly... I have been crushed... sigh

i really dont care if she like bumps her toe hard on something at her house and says something rude... but in an interview?! there's no excuse. I have spent soo much time spreading the sweet paramore love to impressionable around my school, assureing them that paramore was a "safe" family friendly and dare-I-say-it christian band, but I just dont know now...

Ok, first of all - don't believe everything that you read. People get misquoted in interviews all the time and, unless you actually heard Hayley say that word, it doesn't mean she necessarily said it...perhaps she implied it without saying it and MTV printed it as they did with the word partially "bleeped" out - perhaps she said something else and they substituted that for the humor factor.

Even if she did say it, I would think about your reaction a little bit. It doesn't make someone a bad person if they swear every once in awhile. It certainly doesn't make them not Christian or anything like that either. And, I'm not sure I've ever seen Hayley say anywhere that she definitely DOESN'T swear...I think that may very well just be an assumption people have because she hasn't done it in the past or has gone out of her way to use substitute words instead of swear words.

In summary, they're still nice people, they're still a phenomenal band with great music and the fact that she swore once doesn't change that in my book.

And as was said above, let's get back to talking specifically about the interview and not making judgments about each others' morality.

ok, sure maybe she was misquoted, but that statement in itself is a mega assumption. and ok, and true, swearing, by no means, makes you not a christian, but for one to swearin a recorded interview... that makes it very hard for me to see that person the same way. I understand that they havent come and flat out said that theyre christians, but the evidence does seem to support it... I mean, they are on christian music stations, hayley has made many references back to church activities she has taken part in, and they (until now) have done a great job of not conforming to the secular (and somewhat crude) ideologies of most fueled by ramen bands... and to say that this conversation has nothing to do with this message board which was spawned from the intervue that created it is just crazy...

ok, sure maybe she was misquoted, but that statement in itself is a mega assumption. and ok, and true, swearing, by no means, makes you not a christian, but for one to swearin a recorded interview... that makes it very hard for me to see that person the same way. I understand that they havent come and flat out said that theyre christians, but the evidence does seem to support it... I mean, they are on christian music stations, hayley has made many references back to church activities she has taken part in, and they (until now) have done a great job of not conforming to the secular (and somewhat crude) ideologies of most fueled by ramen bands... and to say that this conversation has nothing to do with this message board which was spawned from the intervue that created it is just crazy...

I wasn't saying that this particular conversation about the interview was not appropriate (since it is, technically, about the interview), but what I was saying was that we were not going to have anyone on this message board attacking anyone else on the boards' moral standards, which is what I saw going on in some of the previous posts. We're not going to judge each other or each other's beliefs.

As for the band, as far as I know, they are all Christians. However, again - back to the judging others thing - I wouldn't personally pass judgment on Hayley or the band based on one word that was said in one interview. There's not a perfect person on this planet...honestly, I don't think the fact Hayley used that word is a big deal (it certainly doesn't affect my opinion of her in the least - and yes, I'm a Christian), but I understand that you do and you're certainly entitled to your opinion...I'd simply argue that you should perhaps look at everything they do, as people, through their music, etc. rather than change your opinion of them based on one word said in an interview.