Cool facts

clowdiaa

Is that a joke? Bees don't kill everyone. In fact, I never knew anyone who was killed from bees.

i should make this clearer, it's because bees pollinate plants and if bees didn't pollinate plants then they would die out, therefore leaving us humans with a limited supply of oxygen which would last about 4 years. if you don't know what pollination is, you should of paid attention in biology or just look it up.

i should make this clearer, it's because bees pollinate plants and if bees didn't pollinate plants then they would die out, therefore leaving us humans with a limited supply of oxygen which would last about 4 years. if you don't know what pollination is, you should of paid attention in biology or just look it up.

Oooooh okay. Someone should pay you.

Okay, to start, not all plants even HAVE pollen, so they can't be pollenated. Only Angiosperms and Gymnosperms have pollen, so that leaves LOTS of other plants to make oxygen for us.... Bryophytes and Pteridophytes (plants like mosses and ferns) use spores to reproduce which require no pollen. Water or wind can carry the plant's sperm to it's eggs in order to make new sporophytes which produce the spores which then create new gametophytes which create the gametes (sperm and egg)...

...Annndddd you DO realize that there are other pollinators than just bees?...

Two, even if there weren't bees, more than likely another species would have evolved to fit their role, meaning bees really aren't terribly neccessary...

AKA: Birds, other insecs, animals that brush past the flowers...

Three, the plants would have (and HAVE) evolved other mechanisms to be pollinated. Have you ever seen dandilon or dogwood seeds? Wind. Or burs--they catch on clothes and fur.

One last thing--plants aren't the only things we get our oxygen from. One of the big things we get our oxygen from are phytoplankton and certain kinds of bacteria which use photosynthesis to make their energy, meaning that included in their biproducts is oxygen.

PS: I guess that's what being in AP Biology and hardly paying attention during class will get you....

PPS: .....You should have paid better attention to basic english grammar, too, I guess....

//Edit//And what about underwater plants?... I'm pretty sure bees can't get to those. :)

In Baltimore, Maryland, it is not legal to take a lion to the movies.

In Singapore, it is illegal to sell or own chewing gum.

It's illegal to slurp soup in New Jersey.

While in some countries the penalty for driving while intoxicated can be death (yes, death), in Uruguay intoxication is a legal excuse for having an accident while driving. "Please believe me officer, I really was drunk."

Okay, to start, not all plants even HAVE pollen, so they can't be pollenated. Only Angiosperms and Gymnosperms have pollen, so that leaves LOTS of other plants to make oxygen for us.... Bryophytes and Pteridophytes (plants like mosses and ferns) use spores to reproduce which require no pollen. Water or wind can carry the plant's sperm to it's eggs in order to make new sporophytes which produce the spores which then create new gametophytes which create the gametes (sperm and egg)...

...Annndddd you DO realize that there are other pollinators than just bees?...

Two, even if there weren't bees, more than likely another species would have evolved to fit their role, meaning bees really aren't terribly neccessary...

AKA: Birds, other insecs, animals that brush past the flowers...

Three, the plants would have (and HAVE) evolved other mechanisms to be pollinated. Have you ever seen dandilon or dogwood seeds? Wind. Or burs--they catch on clothes and fur.

One last thing--plants aren't the only things we get our oxygen from. One of the big things we get our oxygen from are phytoplankton and certain kinds of bacteria which use photosynthesis to make their energy, meaning that included in their biproducts is oxygen.

PS: I guess that's what being in AP Biology and hardly paying attention during class will get you....

PPS: .....You should have paid better attention to basic english grammar, too, I guess....

//Edit//And what about underwater plants?... I'm pretty sure bees can't get to those. :)

whoa, i'm impressed, you certain know what you're talking about! and yeah you're right i guess. well i did just hear that fact on the radio so i shouldn't always believe stuff until i know it's true, you've help me learn something, thank you :]

and yes my grammar is really bad!

In Baltimore, Maryland, it is not legal to take a lion to the movies.

In Singapore, it is illegal to sell or own chewing gum.

It's illegal to slurp soup in New Jersey.

While in some countries the penalty for driving while intoxicated can be death (yes, death), in Uruguay intoxication is a legal excuse for having an accident while driving. "Please believe me officer, I really was drunk."

I should be in jail for that New Jersey law. hahaha.

No I mean I have actually done that in New Jersey. On purpose.

Me and my cousin were looking up stupid NJ laws while we were there last year and we saw that. So we ordered soup on the room service. The person brought it up and we kept slurping it on purpose and he went to call security. We ran out of the room so fast.

whoa, i'm impressed, you certain know what you're talking about! and yeah you're right i guess. well i did just hear that fact on the radio so i shouldn't always believe stuff until i know it's true, you've help me learn something, thank you :]

and yes my grammar is really bad!

Hahaha, Thanks you! And--you're welcome, I guess... I enjoy it when other people learn things from me. haha

PS: Sorry for getting kind of catty about the whole thing... :roll:

• 2 weeks later...
* After eating, a housefly regurgitates its food and then eats it again.

ew that's so gross

I always understood that they kind of spit up a soup of enzymes that broke down whatever it was they were eating... Unless that soup IS what they'd eaten... If that makes sense to you?... I don't know, that's just how I understood it--you could very well be right, or we could both be right...

This reminds me of cows... How they chew their cud... Cud is actually paritally digested food... Since they've got 4 stomaches, it goes through part of their digestive tract, then it's regurgitated and chewed some more... It helps them get as much nutrients out of whatever it is they're eating as possible. Crafty.

I always understood that they kind of spit up a soup of enzymes that broke down whatever it was they were eating... Unless that soup IS what they'd eaten... If that makes sense to you?... I don't know, that's just how I understood it--you could very well be right, or we could both be right...

This reminds me of cows... How they chew their cud... Cud is actually paritally digested food... Since they've got 4 stomaches, it goes through part of their digestive tract, then it's regurgitated and chewed some more... It helps them get as much nutrients out of whatever it is they're eating as possible. Crafty.

Blech... right. Are you saying flies are eating soup? lol

• 1 month later...