hayleys taken voice lessons before, right?

angelanonsense

sorry guys.. convos in threads that don't go with the topic are a no-no.. sorry i had to bust you guys!!! (i feel soo bad!) but it's apart of the rules.. no spam!

hahaha! silly me i always thought she was just born with a good voice! hahaha..

ok, maybe i should take voice lessons now because i sound horrible.. lol!

i kinda wish i had a reason to have a vocal coach.

because it would probably mean i was doing something that involved singing, and doing well at it because of a vocal coach... and i just think that would be awesome, despite the fact that i'm so darn shy. seriously, i think if i could do something like that and just ignore the fact that there were a buttload of people watching, i would just go all out. hahah.

but anyway, yeah she's definitely had a vocal coach. and i swear i just read an interview or something where they mentioned that she flew her vocal coach out to the studio when they were recording so she could do her absolute best. i think that's pretty snazzy.

Hah, yes! Something I actually fully understand.

-takes deep breath-

Hayley has taken vocal lessons (and still sees from time to time) from a rather popular instructor named Brett Manning. Brett is a 'Speech Level Singing' instructor, a style that is hands down the most dominant in the music biz today. This technique was originated by a man named Seth Riggs, which he created from an old Italian technique known as 'Bel Canto'. Seth is seen as the go to guy for anyone that can afford it really. From big names such as michael jackson to temporary greats such as chester from linkin park, the guy is like a vocal jedi (nerd alert).

Anyway, I've been taking SLS (speech level singing) lessons for almost 3 months now with a 5star instructor trained by Seth himself. Brett used to be a SLS certified 5star instructor til he branched off on his own to start his own little biz to make more $$. It's a lot of fun, if you're interested in vocal lessons you should look up to see if there are any sls certified instructors in the area. It's tough at first, but once you start to understand the concepts it revolves around (a lot of ridiculous noises such as, gees, neighs and goos) you'll really start to watch your range open up. The only real drawback is that it's expensive.

-exhale-

if u got questions, just ask.

and to site my sources : If you look under 'Things we Love' on the old site you'll see Brett's website. She also mentioned seeing Brett when she had to cancel shows on a previous tour due to strain.

http://paramore.net/main.php

So Trevor, were you a pretty good singer before you started, or what kind of level were you at? I know this is kinda veering off topic, but I was thinking of taking lessons at my college, but my brother is afraid that I'll end up taking them from somebody who has lost their voice, and if I learn their technique, I'll end up losing mine. And now I'm rambling.

Hah, yes! Something I actually fully understand.

-takes deep breath-

Hayley has taken vocal lessons (and still sees from time to time) from a rather popular instructor named Brett Manning. Brett is a 'Speech Level Singing' instructor, a style that is hands down the most dominant in the music biz today. This technique was originated by a man named Seth Riggs, which he created from an old Italian technique known as 'Bel Canto'. Seth is seen as the go to guy for anyone that can afford it really. From big names such as michael jackson to temporary greats such as chester from linkin park, the guy is like a vocal jedi (nerd alert).

Anyway, I've been taking SLS (speech level singing) lessons for almost 3 months now with a 5star instructor trained by Seth himself. Brett used to be a SLS certified 5star instructor til he branched off on his own to start his own little biz to make more $$. It's a lot of fun, if you're interested in vocal lessons you should look up to see if there are any sls certified instructors in the area. It's tough at first, but once you start to understand the concepts it revolves around (a lot of ridiculous noises such as, gees, neighs and goos) you'll really start to watch your range open up. The only real drawback is that it's expensive.

-exhale-

if u got questions, just ask.

and to site my sources : If you look under 'Things we Love' on the old site you'll see Brett's website. She also mentioned seeing Brett when she had to cancel shows on a previous tour due to strain.

http://paramore.net/main.php

Yep - good detective work :)

So Trevor, were you a pretty good singer before you started, or what kind of level were you at? I know this is kinda veering off topic, but I was thinking of taking lessons at my college, but my brother is afraid that I'll end up taking them from somebody who has lost their voice, and if I learn their technique, I'll end up losing mine. And now I'm rambling.

Well, to answer your first question, I was okay. Alright because I've been playing guitar since I was still in grade school so I have a pretty keen sense on singing in and out of key.. and not so great because my technique at the time was terrible and it would sorta trash my voice. If I had warmed up (which I didnt even do proper warmups) in the rehearsal studio screwin' around I could sing some middle mix stuff like bury your head by saosin, but I would have to sing/scream the high stuff cause I couldn't get there. (The things you said, I'm rehearsing them...) Compared to now, where if I've spent 10-15mins warming up I can get there fairly easily, strain/pain free. Which btw on a side note... don't believe everything you hear, after taking lessons for a period of time you start to gain the ability to spot out vocal tuners which could or could not destroy your love of certain bands. It did with me and Saosin.. they play his voice like a keyboard it's terrible.. (completely off topic).

As far as vocal lessons at college I wouldn't know how that would work. It wouldn't really be as good as taking lessons on a 1on1 scale. But if you take it seriously you can only go up, don't worry about "losing your voice". Unless you go on tour with a metal band and scream 2hrs a night for a few years I think you'll be ok. The first thing I learned from my instructor was that: "If it feels like you're straining... it's because you're straining." Sounds silly but it's true. If it hurts or your larynx is trying to jump out your mouth it's because you're doing it wrong or just trying too hard. What you could possibly do though is build bad habits due to the lack of 1on1 time in a college classroom. A good warmup session CD to get your feet wet if you're good at *ahem* ... acquiring things, is Roger Love's "Set Your Voice Free". It's an audio CD w/ a .pdf file. Brett manning has one too but I don't feel like his was as easy for beginners to understand as Roger's. (All SLS style instructors).

Anyway if you need to know anything else just ask.

Well my college offers private or group lessons, and I was considering private. But now that I've found out about this I'm considering it more, and I used that link you posted to find the instructors here so I'm going to call them up and get some price quotes.

And I would say I'm starting at the same point you did, and I'm hurting my throat, which is why my brothers pushing me to take lessons from somebody who will make sure that doesn't happen.

pain issues are usually the easiest to resolve as they usually revolve around breathing issues and just plain ol' using more than you need.

first step I would suggest would be to make sure you're breathing from your diaphragm.. when you inhale your stomach should rise, not your chest. Inhales resulting in the chest rising puts more strain on your voice.

i think i have an alright voice, and i've thought about taking singing lessons to try to improve it. my voice is kind of deep and soulful, but i'd like to learn how to hit some of the higher notes.

i just don't know if i have the kind of money to hire a vocal coach

SLS does sound very interesting though. and i was going to say, it would be awesome if i could go to the same vocal coach hayley had, especially if he's located in nashville, but he's probably far too expensive. :/