In October, ive gotta do my GCSE Music

Lahninja

Oh bloody hell, I'm suprised you don't already regret taking GCSE music.

For a GCSE performance they're looking for technical perfection, basically- If you can sing every note perfectly how and where it's written, do that. If you can play the guitar parts flawlessly, then go for that; although be careful with electric guitars- they're very, very picky about tabs as there isn't any written notation about how it's supposed to be played: how fast, rhythm etc. If you haven't got the sheet music and you plan on playing guitar, try and get it as tabs can lose you marks that don't need to be lost.

I personally wouldn't recommend singing and playing the guitar, you don't earn any extra points just because you're doing 2 things at the same time and it adds complications and again, marks can be lost that really don't need to be.

Seriously, GCSE Music is hell.

Sorry to be so pessimistic.

However, i do wish you all the best ;D and good luck !

Oh bloody hell, I'm suprised you don't already regret taking GCSE music.

For a GCSE performance they're looking for technical perfection, basically- If you can sing every note perfectly how and where it's written, do that. If you can play the guitar parts flawlessly, then go for that; although be careful with electric guitars- they're very, very picky about tabs as there isn't any written notation about how it's supposed to be played: how fast, rhythm etc. If you haven't got the sheet music and you plan on playing guitar, try and get it as tabs can lose you marks that don't need to be lost.

I personally wouldn't recommend singing and playing the guitar, you don't earn any extra points just because you're doing 2 things at the same time and it adds complications and again, marks can be lost that really don't need to be.

Seriously, GCSE Music is hell.

Sorry to be so pessimistic.

However, i do wish you all the best ;D and good luck !

hahaha

im only 14! :S

and ive only been doing it.. less than a month? xD hahah

so.. yeah, thanks for giving me a uplift on my choices, lmao!

Its just a practise one, its not the actual GCSE course thing.

I'm in my second year of doing this GCSE. I loathe it. Don't get me wrong, i absolutely love music in every way, shape or form- but the SUBJECT. I can't stand it. I don't mean to set you against this subject before you've barely begun, but i hope with all my heart that your experience with this course is better than mine :)

And okay, fair enough, for the practise do whatever you feel like doing :) i assume you'll get the same mark scheme, though, and this will give you an idea on what's expected of you. If i had a mark sheet with me i'd type out the criteria for you as a heads up, but unfortunatly i don't. Man, it's awkward. It might as well have a big tick box saying "IF THIS PERSON IS NOT PERFECT IN EVERY SINGLE WAY, FAIL THEM IMMEDIATLY".

I sound like such a grumpy git on this, but i cannot express how difficult i have found and am continuing to find this bloody course, and i'm a pretty competent musician :P

Again, good luck haha ;D

I took GCSE music and got a B/C for my perfomance thingy (I can't really remember...) Anyways, I played drums to 'Unwanted' by Avril Lavigne.

I DIDN'T get the sheet music or anything, I just listened to the song and played along with it, haha. It seemed to me that my teacher was maybe a bit too nice with me, 'cause I didn't really do the exact beat that was in the song, I just did my own thing.

Thing is... at GCSE, you don't know what teachers want these days. My music teacher hated me with a passion, the whelk.

Im on my second year of gcse music too, at my school you have to perform vocal's to instrumental backing tracks or else you cant get higher than a C.

Yeah the examiners are picky with playing the exact notation for me too. Which tbh i think is aload of crap especially if youre playing drums. So the way i just got around that was performed one of my grade 8 songs that i did for my grade 8 exam last year and chose a song that had alot of improv bars =]

Good luck with the singing though, the girls in my class cant sing in the right key its so funny

haha ok.

edit:i just checked wikipedia, so basically its the same thing as the american GED. i have no idea what that stands for though...

Gerneral Certificate *of* Secondary Education

I think O.o

Seriously I love Music, and I love playing music. I just really really hate the subject because I was forced when I was in primary school to play instruments infront of people.

Reason why I dumped it first thing and went with French and Geography ^^

If your a slow soft singer i'd pick my heart, franklin, we are broken. If your the opposite i'd do something like emergency, pressure.

Hahaha.

My friend took GCSE music last year. She hated it. Especially the performance bit. But she ended up doing really well, and apparently last year's exam was the hardest in history, so for those of you taking it this year, you should be glad. Lol.

Since I'm not a great musicianist I'm not sure how to aid you, but all I can say is, perform something safe. Not something you can sometimes hit the right notes on.

But thats all I can really say. Haha.

=)

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great.

• 3 weeks later...
I took GCSE music and got a B/C for my perfomance thingy (I can't really remember...) Anyways, I played drums to 'Unwanted' by Avril Lavigne.

I DIDN'T get the sheet music or anything, I just listened to the song and played along with it, haha. It seemed to me that my teacher was maybe a bit too nice with me, 'cause I didn't really do the exact beat that was in the song, I just did my own thing.

Thing is... at GCSE, you don't know what teachers want these days. My music teacher hated me with a passion, the whelk.

i totally know what you mean. one of my teachers hates that i'm not classically trained and sing in a very high, powerful chest voice (she used to constantly try and get me to sing things that didn't suit my voice); the other told me that my voice is one of the most beautiful he's heard from a student for years.

GCSE music is brutal, but if you can get through the performance you're through the worst of it.

^

Haha, yeah

ive got a week and 6 days to practise more in mine,

but for now, ive got the brett manning Singing Success CD's.

nan bought them for me :D

well happy like!

so im using that to build up my strength in singing :mrgreen:

My old music teacher was abolutely rubbish! i was like, psshhh! screw you dude!

tried to make me sing classical, and thats just not my thing.

so i quit. :) as you do, lol

pssh.

me + classical = :nono: