What ya thinkin' bout this black hole stuff in Switzerland?

Lahninja

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who will we make fun of if France gets sucked ? :-o

I'm sure we could make fun of them being the first to go for quite a while before we turn on another country and make them "the world's whipping boys". My money would be on China.

Figured I might as well through this in.

Does anyone else see "Large Hardon Collider" when they read the name of the machine?

Gay scientists maybe?

And there was only a 1 in 50 million chance that the world would end anyway.

This was supposed to happen at 3am- was it 3am this morning gone or the morning to come, does anyone know ? I assume it would be the one just gone, but i'm not sure...

If so, kinda disapointed nothing happened, in a way. Not that i want the world to end and us be sucked into a swiss black hole, but it'd be nice for something- perhaps mass rainbows all over the world, or the invention of unicorns, or perhaps a massive worm appeared and slugged all over the scientists. I'd even settle for a minor earthquake !

Ah well. Hope it's of some use, i'm really intrigued as to what we're going to learn from this. Hooray for atom-splitting.

This was supposed to happen at 3am- was it 3am this morning gone or the morning to come, does anyone know ? I assume it would be the one just gone, but i'm not sure...

If so, kinda disapointed nothing happened, in a way. Not that i want the world to end and us be sucked into a swiss black hole, but it'd be nice for something- perhaps mass rainbows all over the world, or the invention of unicorns, or perhaps a massive worm appeared and slugged all over the scientists. I'd even settle for a minor earthquake !

Ah well. Hope it's of some use, i'm really intrigued as to what we're going to learn from this. Hooray for atom-splitting.

This morning I think.

I saw a link saying "Big Bang experiment starts well" in my firefox RSS news feed so I'm guessing it's a really long experiment. The size of the underground facility is massive. So hopefully in a couple of days time we'll all be sucked off by a black hole, I mean sucked in to a black hole.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7604293.stm

This morning I think.

I saw a link saying "Big Bang experiment starts well" in my firefox RSS news feed so I'm guessing it's a really long experiment. The size of the underground facility is massive. So hopefully in a couple of days time we'll all be sucked off by a black hole, I mean sucked in to a black hole.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7604293.stm

i bet that would be awesome

There's was no threat of the world ending today. All they did today was fire a proton around the LHC one way, then after that, fire one in the opposite direction, just to make sure the path is clear for the actual experiment. There wasn't even a collision.

When the actual experiment is carried out, it'll shoot two protons in opposite directions at 99.9% of the speed of light, and they'll collide in the centre, where they'll be examined and recorded under a really powerful microscope.

All the machine's gonna do when it does the experiment, is make a buzzing sound and record any relevant data about what happens. There's a small chance of it creating a micro black hole, but according to Hawkins, there's a type of thermal radiation that can dissipate it.

The media have blown the whole thing way out of proportion with their scare mongering, like they usually do.

This test is only just the start, as they find out more about dark matter and it's related physics, they'll adapt the LHC as time goes by, making it more powerful and capable of doing more with the electrons and whatever happens when they collide. This kind of collision happens all the time in our atmosphere, the LHC is just a tool with which to re-create it and examine it to better understand it.

Ron, i actually can't even tell if you're being sincere or not. It's rather disconcerting.

Anyway.

I hope the world doesn't end on october 21st, i'd quite like to be able to drive first.

Agreed.

I haven't met all of the people I want to meet in life yet.

And Twilight wouldn't be out yet. I'm not going down without a fight for that one.

Harrr.

I think they're idiots! I mean, doing this and not knowing what might happen.I don't wanna die! I have too much left to accomplish! I mean they're the retards messing with stuff, they should be the ones who explode or whatever!

The possibility of a micro black hole accidentally forming in the experiment in October and growing larger is rather low.

You guys don't seem to understand what they're really doing. They're firing beams of protons at each other, not making black holes for shits and giggles.

Maybe read this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadron_collider#Purpose