I don't only listen to Paramore

SalsaC

I've discovered a whole new world of music after getting into Paramore, so I figured that maybe, just MAYBE, I can offer a similar catharsis to someone else's attitude towards music here. I went through my iPod, writing down bands that I remembered being exceptionally good at something and the result is this thread here. I've divided them into genres just to make the list a bit more readable, but those are only guidelines. I can be quite a genre purist if I want to but that's not the purpose of this thread! What I will say, though, is proceed with caution when going through the metal-section, since that's not ordinary metal, and if you are not so into the more extreme forms of metal, don't bother at all. The other bands should be pretty accessible so feel free to try them out. =)

METAL

Meshuggah

Bloodbath

The Faceless

Neurosis

Sikth

Strapping Young Lad

Swallow The Sun

Textures

POST ROCK

Explosions In The Sky

Sigur Ros

This Will Destroy You

Calm? Chill? Pop? Whatever...

Blackfield

Kings Of Convenience

The Gathering

Simon & Garfunkel

Thrice

RANDOM ROCK/METAL

Underoath

Protest The Hero

Porcupine Tree

A Perfect Circle

Deftones

Devin Townsend

Kingston Wall

Opeth

Pain Of Salvation

Refused

Scar Symmetry

Tool

Ulver

OMFGWTFBBQ

I'll pick a few bands from that list, and introduce them with a few words here.

Opeth

I might go as far as saying this is my all-time favourite band. People are put off by the death metal -side of this band and they fail to see the beautiful, clean side that is what makes this band different from every other metal band out there. Hey, I even got my mother into them! Unfortunately, their myspace is a poor representation of what they have to offer. "Lotus Eater" and "Porcelain Heart" are great tracks, but try these as well: (these got my mother into Opeth)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnD2maKnVBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwJvUbcC79A

Porcupine Tree

"Trains" and "Blackest Eyes" are the ones to check from their Myspace. They have such a vast catalogue, but the really "accessible" ones are the three or four latest ones, so start from those. What makes this band stand out for me is their ability to write so deceivingly simple songs that have enormous amounts of little twists and unique productional sound tricks that keep the music fresh and interesting. BTW, you might want to check out the blank planet album preview as well! Lots of good stuff in there...

Thrice

Like another Porcupine Tree. I'll let the music speak for itself for now.

Pain Of Salvation

Just...forget their myspace. :) Remedy Lane or Perfect Element are the ones where to start. One of the best singers of all time in my eyes. Their albums encompass so many different emotions and musical styles that it's always quite an exhausting yet rewarding experience to listen to them. Expect beautiful ballades, wacky progressive rock and epic metal anthems. Again, I don't know what's up with their myspace, those song names are from their latest album (don't bother with it) but the songs are not the ones on the album. Idiocracy actually sounds pretty cool, but still, get either one of the albums I mentioned before. I prefer Remedy Lane.

Kings Of Convenience

This is a duo of two Norwegian men and their acoustic guitars. Just listen. Anyone off their Myspace will do.

Blackfield

The softer side of Steven Wilson, the man behind Porcupine Tree. Try the tracks "Blackfield" and "Pain". Some other ones from youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTjJJHlp_5I <-ESPECIALLY THAT ONE

Well, there you go! I hope you take the time to go through at least a couple of those, since I'm sure there's at least something worth your time in there. One last advice: Listen to complete songs. Preferably many of them. I can't emphasize this enough. Discovering new bands by listening to 10 seconds worth of material rarely works. :) Enjoy!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Course you don't only listen to Paramore, you'd go insane listening to one artist lol.

Weird that you call Thrice "another Porcupine Tree".

They're not really a prog band at all, more post hardcore that dabble in experimental and alt rock, but if anything they are one of my favorite in the style.

Deftones fan eh? Easily the best of the nu metal movement.

Always been a big fan, easily the song "Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away") which really demonstrates what I love about the band, which is the ability to incorporate such an atmospheric and textural feel into their music that other bands in their "scene" couldn't do.

I don't see Porcupine Tree as a prog band either, but I made the comparison assuming that the reader knows nothing about the band other than what I had just written. If I had to describe either of those bands, I'd probably use the same words. Specifically late-PT and Alchemy Index era Thrice.

I don't see Porcupine Tree as a prog band either, but I made the comparison assuming that the reader knows nothing about the band other than what I had just written. If I had to describe either of those bands, I'd probably use the same words. Specifically late-PT and Alchemy Index era Thrice.

Yeah, I can see what you mean about PT, although the band is known as they are because they are just big among prog circles.

I mean, for some example, Anesthetize to my mind is a clear example of a prog rock/prog metal song, no question, I mean it's 17 minutes long, goes through many compositional chances, whereas I think some of their other stuff is more alternate rock than being prog rock and in recent years especially I'd say more of their output is alt than prog, although I still think they have enough prog credentials to be truly called prog.

Thrice were definitely kinda experimental around that era, you're right.

Can't wait to buy their new album when it comes out on a physical release.

I admit that thinking PT as a non-prog band is kind of swimming against the current since they do have certain prog-tendencies but we are approaching the reason why I think genres essentially suck :lol: They are handy for quickly describing a band, but at some point you start to think "geez, this is dumb"

I do and I don't agree on the genre thing.

I mean, yes, I can understand it would get ridiculous, say for example, Between the Buried and Me.

We could simply call it progressive death metal and make our lives easy, or we could go over the edge and call it progressive deathcore/death metal/melodic death metal/grindcore/post hardcore/ thrash metal/ mathcore/ jazz and fuck knows how many other genres they incorporated into the album Colors, I can't think of them all right now.

But yet I think it would be wrong to say "Hhh, they're a metal band".

I mean, you could say to someone "Ohh, you like Between the Buried and Me huh? Well you might like Ratt" but that's just ridiculous, because the two bands sounds hardly anything alike, you have one glam metal band with pop structures and one band that is full of death metal growls and 14 minute epic prog metal compositions.

Even worse is when people go so far to say "Genres are stupid, why can't we just call it awesome?"

For example "Oh man, you like Between the Buried and Me? Ohh, you might like BB King as well, cos that's AWESOME too!". That's just fucking ridiculous, really.

So I think it's important to understand genres to a degree, but at the same time not get too obsessive over it.

I like the idea of being able to say "Yeah, you like Between the Buried and Me? Check out Opeth cos they're progressive death as well".

It makes sense to me that way.