Refused

the1

OK, if I listen to stuff like Lily Allen and Lights, but also to stuff like Biffy, there's a big difference there. But also stuff like Brand New, different again, then older stuff like AC/DC and Motorhead. Even the Beatles, The Kinks. Then Britpop stuff , Oasis and Blur, even Pulp. but then there's stuff like Enter Shikari (admittedly I don't like all their stuff) and Escape the Fate

Its hardly being stuck in one genre

OK, if I listen to stuff like Lily Allen and Lights, but also to stuff like Biffy, there's a big difference there. But also stuff like Brand New, different again, then older stuff like AC/DC and Motorhead. Even the Beatles, The Kinks. Then Britpop stuff , Oasis and Blur, even Pulp. but then there's stuff like Enter Shikari (admittedly I don't like all their stuff) and Escape the Fate

Its hardly being stuck in one genre

tbh- why the hell are we discussing your music tastes anyway? Go listen to Refused.

Watch and enjoy

I don't see how the supposed "quality" of one's music taste has anything to do with the diversity of it.

On the topic of Refused, I've only listened to "The Shape Of Punk To Come" but that's some great HC punk right there! I don't know what makes it so revolutionary, though. Is it the experimentation with different instruments and genres? Is it the composition? Is it the execution? I've never listened to Black Flag or Minor Threat or any of those older HC bands so I can't tell what it is that Refused does so well when compared to those, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying their music a whole lot.

Well, for a start it's 11 years old. an could easily be recorded today and sound equally as amazing- timeless.

It mixes things up- Jazz breakdowns, elctronic interludes. Ever listened to Start Something by Lostprophets? (album) That rips off the electronic parts alot. Other bands, like QOTSA ane the whole "radio" aspect of Songs For The Deaf- seems ot be taken from that album.

I would be lying if I said I knew the full expansion of its influence, but to me, it just seems that all these bands coming around in Britain recently, for good or for worse, like The Blackout, The Ghost of A Thousand etc owe something to Refused

OK on the first listen I can definitely hear the Lostprophets thing, especially at the end, can't remember what song, but LP blatantly ripped that. I'm not sure how much I actually like the song :???: But I'm sure it'll grow on me if I listen to it again. Video is slightly, weird :lol: The bit where he starts singing also reminds me of RATM.

But yeah, I'll give some of their other stuff a listen :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I don't see how the supposed "quality" of one's music taste has anything to do with the diversity of it.

On the topic of Refused, I've only listened to "The Shape Of Punk To Come" but that's some great HC punk right there! I don't know what makes it so revolutionary, though. Is it the experimentation with different instruments and genres? Is it the composition? Is it the execution? I've never listened to Black Flag or Minor Threat or any of those older HC bands so I can't tell what it is that Refused does so well when compared to those, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying their music a whole lot.

It's revolutionary as hell because simply, a lot of the stuff in that album just had not been done in post hardcore before. All kinds of experimental elements as well as avant garde elements that other bands never thought to incorporate into their music.

I wouldn't say you can so much compare it to pure hardcore like Black Flag and bands of that ilk.

Check out the post hardcore bands that formed in the 80s, like Fugazi, Embrace, Jawbox, Nation of Ulysses to name a few, and then compare The Shape of Punk To Come to that early stuff, and you'll see how much further they stretched the genre and pushed the boundaries.

So yes, another bump for this thread, because it's one of the greatest bands that the punk world has ever seen.

I listened to Plays Pretty For Baby the other day and it's easy to see where Refused got their influence from (although Refused did it 10 times better)

Got the New Noise Theology EP?? It's awesome" Blind Date is tunage. And The Refused Are Fuckin Dead remix is sweeeeeeet