My band - Enemy Planet

Candice_Lee

Hi there!

I'd really appreciate it if you could take just a few minutes to check out my band. We've just finished recording a 5 track demo in the studio and would love to know what you think!

http://www.myspace.com/enemyplanetmusic

If you like our tunes add us as a friend and leave a message letting us know what you think!

Many thanks,

Candice xxx

• 2 weeks later...
Ah Harry, how wrong you are! Just had a busy few days is all, sorry for not responding immediately!

the1, we were in the studio for 2 whole days about 8 hours each day and it was £600.

Harry = the man that gets proven wrong many times again and again because he is a dumbass, lol.

Seriously though, yeah, despite it not really being the kinda music I'm into (I know, that sounds weird saying this on a forum board dedicated to a pop/punk/alt rock band, but Paramore is really one of the few in that genre I actually really enjoy, I'm more of a post hardcore and metal guy really) but I set my personal bias aside for a moment and look at things more objectively:

I think it's good stuff, good playing and some solidly written material that isn't just throwaway/disposable, shallow pop garbage that gets old after a week, instead I think your stuff has the potential for true staying power that someone might want to still listen to years and years down the track and still genuinely enjoy.

And yah, friend request on myspace will be sent =)

Edit :just realized I spelt friend wrong lol

Ross, we just paid a set amount for the 2 days. We figured out beforehand how many songs we thought we could do in the time, and it worked out just about right. It was actually over 8 hours on the first day, but Pat, the owner of the studio, is really cool and is more interested in getting a good sound than clock watching.

Harry, s'ok, we're all proven wrong at some point, makes it even sweeter when we're right! Thanks for your kind comments, especially considering your musical tastes. I'm actually more of a metal head myself in terms of what I listen to, don't know why when I write it turns out like that!

One thing I'm kinda confused about.

You say it's a demo yeah. Is it a demo in the sense, you'll release it as a demo and sell it and distribute is as it is (how we hear it now) or are these songs the basis of a proper EP or even full length album that you'd most likely want to get the stuff re-recorded with better audio engineering?

This was basically so we could get our stuff on myspace etc, and also to send out to venues to get gigs, and to send to magazines/internet sites etc to get reviews. If it ever got to the point where people wanted to buy our music, I don't think I'd sell this ep as is, I'd probably go back to studio to get a better sound and put more tracks down.

Yeah that makes sense.

I think people were a bit hesitant to post in here because it was your first post and you didn't introduce yourself, so it came across as "I don't care about the forum community, I just want you guys to comment on my music".

And I'll be honest and that was the first thing I thought when I saw this thread as soon as you posted it that day, being the forum whore I am that spends most of his spare time (when he's not writing and recording music, jamming with my band, playing guitar and bass guitar and going to the pub or just drinking with friends in general) on internet forums since I hate watching TV, so it gives me an idea of how people should present themselves on a forum board and as I said, admittedly the way you presented yourself didn't come off as good as it could have been at first, but you've come back and responded to peoples questions in an intelligent and thoughtful manner so I'm more than willing to forgive.

In the relatively short time I've been at this forum I've noticed how welcoming, warm and caring the people are here so unlike many other forums where I've felt alienated and an outcast and treated like shit purely for being a newbie I've enjoyed myself here, it's worth your while introducing yourself in the Welcome forum and posting here more regularly because if anything musicians like myself and a few others would love to see more people like yourself on this forum board being able to give their opinions/perspectives/judgements on things as a musician.

Also, you mentioned Faith no More as your influences on your myspace page (your own, not the band one), so fuck yeah, Faith No More rules, one of the most innovative and creative bands ever.

Well the thing is Harry I love forums, I'm a member of a few and I love reading through them, I'm just not the sort of person who posts alot. I don't really see the point of saying something just for the sake of saying something, which a lot of people seem to do.

So I apologise for not introducing myself or posting anything else, but it's just not me. Plus I'm a bit too opinionated and argumentative, I've gotten myself thrown off a couple of forums just because the admins haven't liked what I've said or the topics I bring up, so I've just resigned myself to merrily reading what others have to say, and posting the odd comment when I feel I can.

I will try and get the equipment list off the other guys and post up soon, I'm afraid being the singer I don't really pay much attention to specifics with equipment.

I guess that is fair enough.

But hey, opinionated = good, IMHO anyway. There is a few opinionated folk here (including me as you can tell) so you'd fit right in lol.

I tend to find this forum is kinda more laid back and far less heavily moderated than some of the other places I've been to (places where I should have been banned already for having strong opinions but don't because I've acquired certain immunities due to holding higher positions than normal members), which is probably why I've really embraced this forum much more quickly and readily than some of the other places.

But yes, my ranting (and arguably rambling non sense aside lol), I look forward to a gear list.

Ah yes, also finally remembered to ask a question I was gonna ask a few days ago, but kept forgetting what it was, have you had vocal training before? Just curious really.

Don't interpret that as knock to your abilities, you do sing quite well (certainly many levels above my cringe worthy attempts at thrash metal vocals I've done in the past haha) and as I said, just out of curiosity really

Well when I was 14 my Mum said she'd let me have singing lessons, so I went to this horrible big fat lesbian for a couple of months who I hated because she made me sing just in my head voice (falsetto) which sounds awful and I didn't get anywhere so I quit.

Apart from that no formal training, just pointers from music teachers in school and people I know. Done a few musicals in school and some am dram theatre in my teens so I've done a variety of different styles. But I feel much more comfortable singing stuff I've written for obvious reasons, ie I write for my voice and range.

she was! seriously, you know those big long piano stools you can normally fit about 3 people on? her arse took up the whole thing. and she broke a chair once by sitting on it.

and thanks, I know I'm not the most technically efficient singer, and I have quite a limited range, but I do the best with what I have.

Broke a chair, lmao. That would have been excellent if it were captured on video.

Eh, heaps of singers aren't the most technically proficient anyway. I'm not a technique snob, music isn't some sport or competition of who is the most technically astute, otherwise I'd listen to nothing but Romantic Era/20 century/modern classical music, jazz fusion and technical death metal and math rock and I'd probably sit there spending 6 hours a day playing technical exercises on guitar, but truth is my taste in music is wider than that and I don't have the patience to sit there and practice that stuff when I could be just writing good music that doesn't need non stop technical blazing stuff.

Broke a chair, lmao. That would have been excellent if it were captured on video.

Eh, heaps of singers aren't the most technically proficient anyway. I'm not a technique snob, music isn't some sport or competition of who is the most technically astute, otherwise I'd listen to nothing but Romantic Era/20 century/modern classical music, jazz fusion and technical death metal and math rock and I'd probably sit there spending 6 hours a day playing technical exercises on guitar, but truth is my taste in music is wider than that and I don't have the patience to sit there and practice that stuff when I could be just writing good music that doesn't need non stop technical blazing stuff.

Only in your head voice? Sounds like Bel Canto to me. Whoever developed the style apparently figured that women should only sing with their head voice and men with their chest voice. :lol: I just watched a singing competition on TV and damn, their voices were so rigid that it was almost painful to hear.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone! Well we had our first ever gig last Wednesday. It wasn't a bad turn out and nothing went drastically wrong, so not bad at all. I've posted some videos up on youtube.....

http://www.youtube.com/user/enemyplanetmusic

Please go and take a look, and if you have a youtube account please rate and comment if you so wish!

Constructive criticism welcome, I know I sound like a bit of a plonker when I'm talking and I will be working on that, aswell as my lack of cool.

Cheers guys!

Not enough going into the audience and knocking out muthafucker's teeth IMHO : P

Not bad, not bad at all. Guitarist and bassist needs to rock out more though.

Can't comment that much on the sound because it's youtube and also because of the way it's recorded.