General Music Thread

Hiroki

First album, geezus. My sister always had heaps of music I like, so I never had to go out and buy my own stuff for a while.

I'd say my first album was :

Rage Against The Machine - The Battle of Los Angeles

Bought it back in 2003. I didn't hear for ages, maybe 6 months, put it on again last month, I was blown away again by it.

Recommended - Hell, anything by Iron Maiden!

This man speaks the truth.

First album... haven't got a clue... I used to buy singles as a kid of songs I heard on the radio the first album proper that I bought was By The Way by Red Hot Chili Peppers, my mother did buy me Good Charlotte's first album though :neutral:

And the first band that I got into that set me on my way with music in my life was Queens of the Stone Age ;-)

Last album I bought was probably Brand New Eyes :lol: That, or the Funeral For A Friend "Your History Is Mine" best-of and b-sides CD.

Recommended: Since I agreed about Maiden, I would suggest "Powerslave" :shifty:

When it comes to my music tastes I would say its a culmination of my parents, brother and older cousin. My parents listened to the old stuff like Rod Stewart, Simon and Garfunkel, Peter Frampton, you know, all that good stuff... so of course I'm well interested in that. They also listened to a hell of a lot of country music so I have country in my bones, and no matter what anyone says I will always love country music. As for my brother, he was (and still is) really into the "adult alternative" 90s bands like Sugar Ray, Gin Blossoms, Filter, Vertical Horizon and the such, but he also is really into stuff like Dave Matthews Band, Jack Johnson, John Mayer, etc.

I would say I started listening to new music when my cousin came to visit us and she put Ocean Avenue by Yellowcard into my cd play and just blasted it. Thats when I started to actually look up bands for myself. From Yellowcard I started listening to Relient K and from there I started listening to Taking Back Sunday, Brand New and the such.... and now I just listen to near about everything.

i was all over the place with music when i was kid

when i was super super little my mom had me into country, like alan jackson and shania twain and stuff

shania twain was my hero haha

i got really into the spice girls when i was about six, the backstreet boys and britney spears followed that

then my dad got to me, he got me into stuff like our lady peace, blink 182, green day, matchbox twenty, the offspring, tons of bands i still listen to

and thennn avril lavigne came along and that's when i really discovered music for myself

which probably sounds awkward saying i got my current taste from avril lavigne, but that's where it really started

Never heard 57 on the radio... Or anything off the the first three albums really... :P and I picked up Biffy slightly before the radio after their set at Reading a couple of years ago 8-):P well.. most radio stations anyway :P

Some of the singles from the first three albums (Infinity Land, in particular) charted just as high, in some cases higher, than singles from Puzzle. So I'm preeeetty sure they'll have been played on the radio. ;-)

Some of the singles from the first three albums (Infinity Land, in particular) charted just as high, in some cases higher, than singles from Puzzle. So I'm preeeetty sure they'll have been played on the radio. ;-)

Yes, on the chart show, nowhere else have I ever heard Jaggy Snake, or G+T, or Q+A :P It's not like they were played much until Mountains -_-

Yes, on the chart show, nowhere else have I ever heard Jaggy Snake, or G+T, or Q+A :P It's not like they were played much until Mountains -_-

TV wise, I can confirm that Q+A (as I already said) got TV plays, not much else got played after that, but everything from Puzzle got played a LOT ;-)

Yeah I don't listen to the radio :shifty:

So cause you've never heard it, it's never happened?;-)

I suppose I'm more exposed to them up here but they've been played on radio, for sure.

Yeah, but the fact that a LOT of people down here (and a few in SCotland too from what I've been told) seem to think Puzzle is the only album kinda shows that they weren't exactly huge til then... And even after Puzzle the bandwagon only really got going when mountains came out

TV wise, I can confirm that Q+A (as I already said) got TV plays, not much else got played after that, but everything from Puzzle got played a LOT ;-)

Yeah I don't listen to the radio :shifty:

:lol: I don't do either of them :P

As for my brother, he was (and still is) really into the "adult alternative" 90s bands like Sugar Ray.

I LOVED Sugar Ray. I was obessed. Like. So much. :uhh:

Glad to see someone who hasn't forgotten them!

Whenever I listen to them, it brings smiles. Cause it reminds me of how much I miss them. How much I loved them. I still do, just I've moved onto some more bands.

I'd listen to pop, r'n'b, hip hop...ergh. XD Then I got into Keane and Linkin Park around 2005 or so. I liked Fall Out Boy in 2006, then I started to listen to more alternative stuff but I still really liked pop/r'n'b stuff (Pussycat Dolls, cough) :P.

The same year I found out about Paramore (2007) I started to get into trance music as well and I have 4 trance CDs (Armin van Buuren - Imagine (Remixes), Tiesto - In My Memory/In My Memory Remixes, Tiesto - Elements of Life, Paul van Dyk - In Between)

From early-late 2008 I had a phase with Disturbed and I liked them quite a lot, but I'm completely over them now haha.

A while after that (late 2008-early 2009) I started to get into the bands I like now (ADTR, Gallows, Enter Shikari, VersaEmerge, Crime in Stereo, Set Your Goals etc etc) and I dropped all the pop/r'n'b. :P Check my Last.FM (see sig.)

sugar ray were the ones who released the song when it's over, correct?

i loved that song

yess!

that was the first one that actually made me love them. i didn't remember the title for years! then i came across it and was like "THAT'S THE SONG" hah. their music is always so summer-like. (:

I have the most diverse music taste ever. i can listen to some disney created pop shiz, but I can also listen to the heaviest metal ever. and everything in between. no country (except for like, 3 things) and no r n b or rap (very few rappers catch my attention.)

i should've checked this thread out before the albumsofyear/decade .. oh well i'll post some of the same information on here

my first album was Hanson's Middle of Nowhere. It was on cassette and since i no longer have a cassette player.. i no longer have the album.

last album is technically BNE but i haven't downloaded it yet even though i preordered it (need new itunes card to download it). before that it was a 3 song ep by the Material. They're good for what the are.. pop with chick vocals but definitely not awe-inspiring.

I would recommend anything by VersaEmerge and Within Temptation.

Music tastes is combination of my parents, brother, and being in the middle of nowhere. My mom likes cheesy pop like Lionel Richie and Micheal Bolton *shivers*. Its probably where I get my love of pop shit from. My Dad is a classic rock and 80s hair band junkie. I like a lot of those bands for that reason. My brother has the strangest taste known to mankind. He listens to a lot of foreign bands and can't wait for a new Devo album for some reason. He has definitely opened my eyes to different genres although I'm not a big fan of metal (don't like the screaming and growling in it... tried listening to stuff like Epica but the growling ruined it for me) . I listen to a bit of this and that (most genres) but its most likely mainstream crap because its either spend a lot of time on internet to find music or wait till music comes here and if it comes here.. its usually crap.

I have some questions though:

What qualifies good music? Is there a point where no matter how good a band is that they turn to crap because they have become too mainstream? Do you think you have to like certain bands to have good taste or that listening to certain bands means you have bad taste? What do you do if someone says you're favorite band sucks or is just a rip-off of another band? etc.

What qualifies good music? Is there a point where no matter how good a band is that they turn to crap because they have become too mainstream? Do you think you have to like certain bands to have good taste or that listening to certain bands means you have bad taste? What do you do if someone says your favorite band sucks or is just a rip-off of another band? etc.

Good music is really a person's opinion. And that should just be it. Otherwise, there wouldn't be all the different kinds of genres that there are. Because everyone is different, everyone will like something different.

For example, many of us consider Paramore to be 'good music' but at the same time, many people are like 'Eh, they suck.'

And that whole 'turning crap because they're mainstream' is absolute bullshit from my experience, and I don't like it when people are like "OMG FALL OUT BOY/PARAMORE/INSERT 'ONCE-NOT-POPULAR-NOW-POPULAR-BAND-HERE' ARE ON THE RADIO, THEY'RE SELLING OUT, OMG CRAP!!!11"

I feel sorry for them. Unless you really don't enjoy the music that they're coming out with, then you shouldn't just suddenly hate them because they're becoming popular. Bands enjoy success, and why shouldn't they? Not only do they get more money, but they feel proud of themselves, they feel more enjoyment, they feel that their music has reached out and touched more people, no matter what the reason, and they have acheived something.

Take Paramore as an example....Look at the difference between RIOT! and BNE. RIOT! is way more poppy, and they know they have gained more fans because of that particular sound, but it didn't suddenly make them think 'We have to make another RIOT!' and they have brought us some amazing music.... :)

After coming onto this forum I did feel that I had to like certain bands to have good taste...After all, a lot of people on here like alternative/indie/post-hardcore/pop punk....So I generally kept away from the Other Music part of the forum.

And I honestly didn't get into those kind of bands until late last year/early this year, as previously mentioned...I just liked the music I listened to, I didn't care.

I just suddenly got sick of the pop/hip hop stuff I was listening to and decided to see what else there was....Which led me to listening to bands like ADTR, Emery, Circa Survive, As Cities Burn, Enter Shikari, VersaEmerge, etc etc....To some people that would be considered bad taste, and I honestly don't care! But I can talk about music more with other people on here since I know they like the same/similar kinds of bands. Yet, at the same time, some people on here don't care for Emery and Enter Shikari. It doesn't stop me from listening to them. :) I'll listen to it if I like it. :D xD

Aaaaand to the last question. Eh. I just ignore it when people say stupid things about bands I like. It's not a big deal. Or I just argue back and laugh with them about it. :P