I was wondering...

anakale

It's a ridiculous question really.

Be it playing piano, singing, death growling, playing electric guitar, playing electric bass guitar, or the violin, all are equally as hard.

Why?

Because arguably you will never ever master your craft and you will always find ways to improve.

Any good musician (who is humble of course) will tell you this.

Anyone that believes otherwise is arrogant or naive, or in the extreme, just really fucking stupid.

As a primarily electric guitar player (although I am quite proficient at bass guitar too), I can tell you it is definitely NOT easy to play and I know I'll always find things to improve upon.

Sure, I can play technical death metal, I can handle some JS Bach too, but I'll tell you that being able to play that stuff certainly did not come overnight and I've worked very hard and have been very focused and disciplined to get where I am on the instrument.

And want the truth? I'm still not even close to where I want to be on the instrument, even though I've been told I'm pretty good.

And nowhere did I accuse you of saying you had mastered you craft, read it again.

My post was in response to your question in the general sense, not a response directly to you about your own abilities as a musician.

By "you" I mean, everyone, not you in particular:rotfl:

Anyway, my post was a VERY simplified answer of what I could potentially say on the topic.

I shit you not I can probably post a 1000 word essay on this topic.

I probably wont because I know no one would bother to read it all , but whatever, there offer is there lol.

Well vocal work is far different from playing an instrument. Vocals are an instrument, but a bodily instrument that comes naturally. Guitar takes a lot of practice and mastery (I'm not saying that vocal work doesn't either, though). Also, not everyone is able to play the guitar for such things like: small hands, fat fingers, or such inabilities. Whereas singing is possible to obtain naturally and for others they may be tone deaf and just sound bad (Or you could be like Tom DeLonge and actually sound good being tone deaf), and you can achieve it by practicing and work out how to sing to notes and keep a tune.

But in all, to be quite honest, I have no answer, but I think it is to be figured out yourself.

But if I were to be biased about the whole thing, I'd say the guitar is the hardest.

I agree with Harry.

I sing and play guitar, and I can say without any doubt that they are both equally as hard. Sure, it takes skill but the only way that an instrument will seem easier to play and control is by practicing. Once you've grown confident with an instrument you can find ways of improving even further, the sky is the limit to be honest. I know for a fact that I am nowhere near as good as any professional muscians out there but I hope to keep improving every day and learn new material. In my opinion, it doesn't matter which instrument is 'harder'. As long as you enjoy what you play whether it be an instrument or your voice then all is good!

:)

i can play the guitar but i cannot sing a fucking note.

ERGO GUITAR IS EASIER.

but then again i had to learn how to play the guitar, whereas my sister can sing like ...someone really good at singing and she's never had a lesson or anything.

IN CONCLUSION I DON'T KNOW.

informative, i know.

EDIT: oh, you know what is really hard ? singing AND playing the guitar at the same time. seriously fucks me up, i evidently don't have enough brain cells to handle such a thing.

a guitar will sound pretty much the same regardless of the hands playing it

I would have to debate this.

John Mayer who happens to be an excellent guitarist, has a completely different style than say, Slash, who is also a really talented guitarist. You can do crazy stuff with guitars.

I would have to debate this.

John Mayer who happens to be an excellent guitarist, has a completely different style than say, Slash, who is also a really talented guitarist. You can do crazy stuff with guitars.

well, yeah

obviously it depends on their style and whatnot

but...shit, i don't know how to explain this properly haha

see, if you were born with a voice like miley cyrus, no matter what you do, you're never going to sound like christina aguilera

at least with an instrument you have a chance to make it sound good

a piano is going to sound like a piano

it may sound a bit different depending on who's playing it and their style...but it's still a piano

...that still doesn't sound right haha

if you have a shitty voice no amount of training will fix that

That's not very true at all, I used to be tone deaf until I started practicing singing note, in fact my voice changed a lot. Same for my friend, who practiced singing with me.

That's not very true at all, I used to be tone deaf until I started practicing singing note, in fact my voice changed a lot. Same for my friend, who practiced singing with me.

it is, actually

i took vocal lessons for five years

it doesn't change your voice at all, it teaches you how to control it

if you have a shit voice to begin with no amount of control is going to fix that

it still sounds like shit

Kayla's right, singing and guitar are more than just two different instruments, and I'd say singing is the harder of the two. Give me the right gear and I can imitate both John Mayer and Slash, but holy moly and all that is bowly (sorry, I ran out of rhymes there) if I was supposed to sing exactly like...well, anyone. Before the sound comes out of your mouth, it resonates with several parts of your head, and that process is unique for each of us. I still think that a bad singing/speaking voice isn't an obstacle unless it's downright horrendous (contemporary music has pretty much gotten over the "tone quality and purity" -thing that would've stopped some people from singing years and years and years ago) but it's true that a good singing voice is a mixture of natural qualities and learning whereas a good guitar tone can be learned with the right gear.

What else? It's well known that a teacher is far more crucial in singing than it is with the guitar since the vocal cords are fragile (especially in the beginning) and there are many muscle coordination -related things in singing that I would've never learned without a teacher. Sure, my singing voice has changed since starting to actually learn it, but that's because I had never fully tapped into what I had before.

-diet

-warming up and down

-illness

-sleep

-vocal rest

These are all things that singers need to think of if they are supposed to perform and...what do I think of before performing with the guitar or piano? "Don't get drunk before your set." I occasionally warm up before a show, but that's not really needed unless I'm playing some hyper-technical stuff.

It's also true that you can't really perfect either of those in one lifetime, but yeah, I forgot where I was going with this...