Quitting Smoking Thread

Renith182

I've never really bought into the hype about Canada having the best weed in the world.

Until I see any evidence beyond people merely telling me via word of mouth, weed is pretty much the same whether it's grown in Australia, the US, Germany or wherever.

I think it's a silly concept to assume that because weed is grown in Canada, the THC content must be higher.

Anyway I don't find weed addictive to be honest. When I smoke it, I don't wake up the next day and crave it the same way I used to (and to some extent still do) crave nicotine.

I went nearly 3 weeks without toking up, and so far I haven't had any since Sunday and have no plans to have anymore for the rest of this week and probably not next week anyway.

I don't gamble btw haha, not my thing really. I probably will in the future but it doesn't appeal to me enough to sit there for hours and doing it, I'd rather go home and play guitar lol

But anyway back on topic.

I read your 5 days update, good job so far man.

Currently I exercise a fair bit, regularly on my push bike and that certainly helps keep the cravings away and you just feel a metric fuck ton better exercising than sitting there smoking cigarettes all day, because instead of pandering to your bodies' need to get rid of stress via a withdrawal symptom, you actually truly and properly get rid of stress via exercise.

Look forward to hearing another update dude

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in jail for the past 5 days and in jail I convinced myself I'd quit alcohol, weed and cigarettes.

First thing I do when I get out is get myself an extra large triple triple and have a cigarette. Jesus fucking Christ. I ain't drinking or smoking grass anymore though.

Jail huh? Hope it wasnt too bad, but hope u learned from the consequences. Did the RCMP beat you? or tazer you? just curious because they seem to think they're above the law nowadays, especially with this olympics thing.

Well at least you're getting rid of two bad habits. Like a drug addict from rehab, I think they encourage you to smoke.

I've never really bought into the hype about Canada having the best weed in the world.

Until I see any evidence beyond people merely telling me via word of mouth, weed is pretty much the same whether it's grown in Australia, the US, Germany or wherever.

I think it's a silly concept to assume that because weed is grown in Canada, the THC content must be higher.

Anyway I don't find weed addictive to be honest. When I smoke it, I don't wake up the next day and crave it the same way I used to (and to some extent still do) crave nicotine.

I went nearly 3 weeks without toking up, and so far I haven't had any since Sunday and have no plans to have anymore for the rest of this week and probably not next week anyway.

I don't gamble btw haha, not my thing really. I probably will in the future but it doesn't appeal to me enough to sit there for hours and doing it, I'd rather go home and play guitar lol

But anyway back on topic.

I read your 5 days update, good job so far man.

Currently I exercise a fair bit, regularly on my push bike and that certainly helps keep the cravings away and you just feel a metric fuck ton better exercising than sitting there smoking cigarettes all day, because instead of pandering to your bodies' need to get rid of stress via a withdrawal symptom, you actually truly and properly get rid of stress via exercise.

Look forward to hearing another update dude

I didn't say Canadian weed overall. weed from BRITISH COLUMBIA (a province in canada). Perfect growing conditions for it. Same as ice wine, only canadian ice wine is TRUE ice wine. You dont buy into the hype but you've never smoked it. Its a 6 billion dollar a year underground economy in BC, so if that doesnt account for anything...

As for weed i guess its not as addictive as ciggies . But if you wake up stupid one day from smoking too much, you wont be able to know because you're too stupid to realize? haha. and we all know the only cure for stupid is a bullet to the head! I figured all the stupid drivers and jaywalkers who are completely oblivious to anything are all high as kites.

oh chris! not good man!

ren i'm glad you're keeping up with it!

Thanks for your support love!

One week smoke free

Still feeling great. dont have the jitters anymore. Still hacking shit up during the day.

Working hard, havnt been working out the last two days, but will get back into it

Not needing so much to distract me from cravings anymore, snacking less eating less.

Everything in life smells and tastes alot nicer. Car doesnt smell like shit. Breathing is good. Getting a little fatter, but gonna try get jacked. One week of not smoking has saved me 60 bucks. 60 bucks to go towards something else. Still broke ass, just less broke ass.

Overall its all good. Getting back into the daily grind. Trying to find other things to do with my life

Ren

Good to hear how well it's going so far Ren.

As for me, I've currently been without a cigarette for 8 days.

Despite having spent a good portion of my week around friends who smoke, I haven't caved in and smoked socially.

Friday night proved to be the big test. Went to about 6 different pubs for a friend's birthday celebration pub crawl. I drank 10 glasses of beer and still didn't smoke at all.

Hopefully I can keep this up, but I'm not certain of anything though

• 2 weeks later...
I wish my parents would stop smoking!

Then let them know how you truly feel about it! Or take their ciggies from them and throw them away and rip them up and shit. Whatever you can do to make smoking for them a miserable hell!

I hate electricity, So lets be glad I wasn't tazered! :o

Or accidently run over by drunk cops.. or SHOT!

Good to hear how well it's going so far Ren.

As for me, I've currently been without a cigarette for 8 days.

Despite having spent a good portion of my week around friends who smoke, I haven't caved in and smoked socially.

Friday night proved to be the big test. Went to about 6 different pubs for a friend's birthday celebration pub crawl. I drank 10 glasses of beer and still didn't smoke at all.

Hopefully I can keep this up, but I'm not certain of anything though

Cool man thats awesome that you stopped smoking even under social situations. I hope you can still have fun and whatnot and it doesnt feel like something is always missing, cause it isnt really.

3 weeks since i quit smoking

It feels great. Im trying to learn to sing properly. Could never even try much when i was a smoker. Stopped hacking up nasty shit. Everything seems a little easier going. It's a new type of 'Normal' and im loving it so far. Shits been fucked in my life in the last week and a half, but i never caved in, because even though i hit some nasty fuckin brickwalls, smoking ain't gonna get me out of the rut. I guess better to be healthy and miserable than dying and miserable?

Ren

Good to hear that update so far Ren. 3 weeks is a very good effort

Okay, so I caved in on the 17th of Feb and had one cigarette :P, but it's now the 24th and i was hanging around a friend who was smoking last night, and I didn't have any.

Haven't even been high since the 14th either, and haven't really felt the need to.

This weekend I'll only be around 3 other people at a school get together.

Only one dude smokes, and the other 2 girls don't, so I suspect I will be fine as long as I stay inside with the girls while he does out to smoke

Okay, so I caved in on the 17th of Feb and had one cigarette :P, but it's now the 24th and i was hanging around a friend who was smoking last night, and I didn't have any.

Haven't even been high since the 14th either, and haven't really felt the need to.

Only one dude smokes, and the other 2 girls don't, so I suspect I will be fine as long as I stay inside with the girls while he does out to smoke

Good plan.

Way to go, Ren. That's awesome you've been smoke free for 3 weeks. Keep up the good work.

I've never been a smoker. Not even tried them. Just being around second hand smoke makes me want to hurl. I can't even breathe in the same room as it. I've tried countless times to get family/friends to stop, but to no avail. I'll keep trying :P

wow! thats great that you are keeping up with it! im glad :P

Thanks!!! Its going well!

Haha getting closer to being edge. Well If you end up getting some with those girls while your friend is outside smoking away then even not edge, but lucky! haha.

Way to go, Ren. That's awesome you've been smoke free for 3 weeks. Keep up the good work.

I've never been a smoker. Not even tried them. Just being around second hand smoke makes me want to hurl. I can't even breathe in the same room as it. I've tried countless times to get family/friends to stop, but to no avail. I'll keep trying :P

Thanks! Your repulsion to cigarette smoke is your sensitivity and intolerance to nicotine. like how some people get hammered on one beer. And getting family and friends to stop is alot easier said than done. For me it was a personal decision to stop smoking, and it has to be for your family and friends aswell. In other words If there isn't a conscious effort to quit, then they wont quit.

Ren

^I know very people that have got to that age without having at least tried it.

That's some damn willpower

Yeah no kidding. Maybe its a persons ability to control their compulsiveness

^I know very people that have got to that age without having at least tried it.

That's some damn willpower

Yeah I know very few people that have never at least tried them, also. I just see what they can do to your health, and don't want to do that to myself. plus they stink & cost a ton. So that's incentive enough for me to stay away from them haha!

Thanks! Your repulsion to cigarette smoke is your sensitivity and intolerance to nicotine. like how some people get hammered on one beer. And getting family and friends to stop is alot easier said than done. For me it was a personal decision to stop smoking, and it has to be for your family and friends aswell. In other words If there isn't a conscious effort to quit, then they wont quit.

Ren

Tell me about it. I'll show them literature on what it does to your health [like the really graphic stuff] ....doesn't make a difference. I'll even try and guilt them into it. In fairness to my parents though, they have tried. I guess for some people they haven't got the will power to stick with it.

Wow that good! Well i always tell them how i think about it.

And when the smoke, my throat hurts and i get muggy.

And the whole house stinks! yuck!

And what the stupisted thing is that my mom tell me we need to

look out for the thing we buy, we need to look out with are money.

BUT she can buy ones in the 2weeks, ciggies & shag for almost €150 ...

Wow that good! Well i always tell them how i think about it.

And when the smoke, my throat hurts and i get muggy.

And the whole house stinks! yuck!

And what the stupisted thing is that my mom tell me we need to

look out for the thing we buy, we need to look out with are money.

BUT she can buy ones in the 2weeks, ciggies & shag for almost €150 ...

Thats shitty! My old man used to smoke in front of me aswell. Prolly a reason to how i started. You should tell her its HURTING YOU, and that its making you feel sick all the time. And about the money thing, its a smokers irrational thoughts. Even with me i was broke ass but i'd still spend 240 bucks on ciggies a month. Tell her how her habit is robbing money from yer family and how hypocritical that shit is. I guess theres no subtle tway to get people to kick the habit. Fuck.

Tell me about it. I'll show them literature on what it does to your health [like the really graphic stuff] ....doesn't make a difference. I'll even try and guilt them into it. In fairness to my parents though, they have tried. I guess for some people they haven't got the will power to stick with it.

I thought they have them on the packets already? I dunno how graphic they are in Ireland. And you're right its all about will power. My life at the moment is smoke free. And it doenst feel that much different. I've found ways to Adapt and do different things besides smoke. More constructive things. At the end of the day its Change. They say old habits die hard. Some people will die due to their lack of ability to adapt and just Change their life.

Ren

• 2 weeks later...

Its been 5 weeks since i quit. 5 weeks holy shit.

But i feel like a trainwreck right now. The last two days are harder than the first two days of quitting. I feel like im so close to relapsing right now and trying to keep it straight. I don't want to fail so bad, but at the same time i feel the strongest urge to have one. I will try to keep it straight, because im just trying to think about all the bad times and shitty things about smoking. Its typical behavior of trying to have one, and im resisting it. at this very moment the daily grind of life has gotten to me and the novelty of quitting has kinda died off. Im so scared that maybe, just maybe absence is making my heart grow fonder for one again.