Filipino fans unite!!

ninski

Yup yup. Funny guy, Neil Gaiman. Though I find it funny that he has a weird american-british accent.

haha. but it makes him sound suave, right? haha

anyway, jozen like you said, chicosci has good stage presence. i can agree with you on that one because they opened for fob. but like you im no fan also. AND finally, my friend lent me his copy of chicosci's first album because i had no idea what they sounded like before. Man..track 1 pa lang na pa WTF na ako.:uhh: kasi super different ng sound nila way back. tapos ngayon sobrang ripoff sila ng saosin, silverstein, and other foreign bands. the look? psh. sucks.hehe

I think the main problem people have with Chicosci is that they change playing styles faster than they change girlfriends, hehe. While they've garnered accolades for this, people have also shyed away from them dahil parang, "ano na ba tugtugan niyo ngayon?"

During the kupaw era, they released Revenge of the Giant Robot, which if you were already entrenched in the kupaw scene 4 years before (about '96 or '97) its rise, alam mo na Deftones ang ginagaya nila. And I know for a fact, Miggy is a big Chino Moreno fan. Liste to RotG, maririnig mo talaga 'yun White Pony vibe. Other than that, elements of thrash is also evident. Anthrax, Pantera, and Soulfly are also obvious influences of the album. And the look during this era was the standard kupaw code, loose shirts, loose pants, and lots of body piercings.

The funny thing was when they switched to a post- hardcore sound for Method of Breathing, ang sumikat lang 'yun Paris. Eh sa totoo lang, 'yun lang 'yun parang kakaiba sa MoB, lahat halos reminiscent of Glassjaw, the songs Rolento, Glass is Broken comes to mind. Tapos may parang Smashing Pumpkins vibe 'yun rhythm section nun album -- kontra pelo 'yun drums, percussion at bass sa mga linya ng gitara nila Mong at Sny. Kung mid 90's kid kayo, gets niyo 'yun (hirap iexplain eh, haha!). Basta Pumpkins, at Soundgarden, 'yun lang masasabi ko. And the look basically remained the same from before.

Pagdating ng Icarus, well, parang MoB extended version lang, haha. Except more chug- chug riffage, and pounding beats from the rhythm section. Parang cross between post and screamo eh. Finch, GJ, Head Automatica ganun. Pero kadire talaga 'yun Shallow Graves, haha.

Tapos ngayon, 'di ko maintindihan eh. Haha. Ayaw kong sabihing emo, kasi putres magkakamatayan tayo bago ko tatanggapin na isang lehitimong genre ang emo, haha. Tanggap ko 'yun unang incarnation nito eh, emocore nun mid90s, pero 'yun emo lang, wtf eh. Anyway going back, sobrang diverse 'yun pinilit nilang isiksik na tunog sa self titled release nila eh. MCR unang- una kitang- kita, sa A Promise at sa pananamit (at least last year). This year, it's more of a scene get- up eh, Mong and Calde definitely get their style from GJ or even the AAR (baston with AF1s? san ka pa, haha). Tapos 'yun tugtog, err, tawag lang namin 'dun sa ganun sa SoCal, power pop. Pop with an edge. 'Yun na yun. Haha.

I think Koski has managed to stay this long (10 years and counting), because walang pretensyon sa kanila. Kung ano trip nila, gagawin nila, may tumira man ng pahalang sa kanila o wala. And that they truly are great to their followers. I was fortunate enough to have been asked to tag along last year at their 10th anniversary party in Metrowalk, and man I've been to alot of parties by bands for their fans, but I've got to say that was one of the best I've been to. Marunong silang magpasalamat ng alam mong totoo eh. Marunong din sila makisama ng tunay eh, san ka pa, pupunta talaga sila pag inimbita sila, kahit na 'di kagandahan 'yun lugar (err, 'di pala talaga maganda! Haha), at magste- stay to party all night talaga -- this I've seen in Calamba two years ago. Parang it's either you love Koski or hate Koski eh. But I'm sure even with that said, wala pa rin silang pakialam, they just do their thing.

^ I know what you mean about them knowing how to appreciate their fans and getting to know their fans. When I watched them in Poveda, after their performance, the bassist (Sorry, only people I know in the band are Miggy and Mong) actually chatted with these two girls out of the blue. Good thing only a few people saw him or else he would have been mobbed, I'm guessing.

galing ni kuya migs ah..very specific sa pag describe ng music styles ng chicosci! haha

well, they seem to me like they really don't care about the criticisms no matter how harsh it is. okay yun. at least open minded sila. i'll give em credit for that. ripoff lang talaga yung emo. its not a genre sabi mo nga. hehe

and honestly, super di ko magets yung point ng seven black roses. parang ewan. sorry ah.hehe

ako nga si mong lang rin kilala ko nun pa. si miggy nakilala ko lang last summer sa isang tv show.