• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Article

Shiny Toy Guns is Jeremy Dawson (left), Chad Petree, Carah Faye and Mikey Martin. Dawson and Petree became friends growing up in Shawnee.

They will be performing at the Cain’s Ballroom on Friday with Blue October, Yellowcard and Lovedrug.

During a phone interview on Halloween, front man Chad Petree talked about his and bassist Jeremy Dawson’s Oklahoma roots.

Both grew up in Shawnee and met as teens. Shiny Toy Guns is only one of several bands they have been in together.

One of their earlier bands was a Christian band called cloud2ground. When asked about it, Petree tried to explain the group a little better.

“It wasn’t an obvious Christian band,” he said. The band’s old Web site describes their style as: “love through music, through Christ Everlasting, not through doctrine, legalism, or fundamentals, religion and technically this is leaders, denominations, closed minds, homophobia and the fear of the unknown.

Nothing more exists but your body, your spirit, your Bible, and a God that loves you.”

Petree and Dawson also worked together in the band Slyder before meeting female vocalist Carah Faye.

“We would meet random singers, but we thought it would be cool to have a girl sing to give a little more variety to our music,” Petree explained.

“We could do more vocally and do different kinds of music.”

Faye, a London native, joined the band in early 2003 along with drummer Mikey Martin, and things started to take shape for the group.

The band first released “We Are Pilots” independently and began touring across the U.S. They re-released a revised version of the album in November 2005 and, after more touring, released the final version with Universal Records in October 2006.

The band’s best-known tracks are “You Are the One,” “Le Disko” and “We Are Pilots,” with most of the lyrics written by Petree and Dawson.

As far as musical influences go, Petree talked about listening to a lot of pop music and hair bands growing up. “I don’t have any idols . . . . I’m just obsessed with good songs. Life experiences are my main inspiration,” he said.

Spending the last three-and- a-half-years touring almost constantly has left them ready for a little vacation.

“We all have our own thing, but I really like sitting in my basement and writing,” Petree confessed. He admitted the he almost prefers the smaller scale tours.

“It was fun playing with different local bands all the time instead of the same people and the same songs night after night.”

It’s been awhile since the band released new music, but no worries. Shiny Toy Guns plans to take some time off in January to work on its next album.

“We have a lot of ideas just from playing every night and Jeremy and I have been writing a lot,” Petree said.

So STG fans, keep your fingers crossed and be prepared to “ride the race cars” again soon.

So a new album would be around spring/summer... I can't wait!!!

• 3 weeks later...