One thing about yourself

lavina15

Guro.. this is still a really long summary but it's hard to narrow the book down. It appears extremely depressing (and I guess it is) but I just simply adore it.. Depends entirely what you're into, like I said before.

The story is set in a fantasy Britain. The roles of black and white (Cross and nought) have been reversed and amplified. Noughts are second-class and on the poverty line. Crosses are empowered and rich. Class status and racial status are the same thing. A brutal hierachy exists, and none escape it.

In the midst of this are Callum and Sephy, best friends who conceive the prospect of love after their very first kiss on the beach, the location for many of their realisations.

But the world is moving far too fast for the pair to grow closer peacefully. Lacking another means of self-expression, more and more noughts, including Callum's brother and father, are choosing terrorism. Society is making very few changes for th better, and he is one of the many victims of cruel tradition. Sephy gets no reward for her efforts to help the minority. Suicide and violence become themes for Callum's family. Alcoholism and neglect are the themes of Sephy's. When the bomb goes off and Callum's father is blamed, not even the pair of star-crossed lovers could have imagined what the consequences would be...

Quite simply: buy this book. The plot is fast-moving, and the characters are flawless, particularly Callum, the nought boy - who experiences an inner struggle while writing. This Romeo and Juliet story doesn't become simplistic and nauseatingly romantic, unlike some - the characters have strengths and weaknesses, just like you and me. Sephy is too idealistic, naive and easily depressed - but is compassionate, logical and determined to bring out the best in people and in life. Callum finds himself seeing the negative in situations, has a hot temper, and takes his suffering out on other people at his worst - but never gives up hope, is one of the cleverest students in the whole of Britain, and stands up for what he believes in.

This combination of characteristics, as well as an explosive plot which will blow your conceptions about class and race into infinity.

Joan: What's wrong? :(
Well nothing so serious I just can't find a good video maker where you put subtitles up instead of down and I've downloaded millions of different programs but still I haven't found a good program yet. :) And hey thanks for asking. :hug:

I'm hopeful right now. :P