Singers?

DearDestruction

I was wondering too if anyone could say whats the difference between the levels of teaching on SLS because theres someone..only 1 that comes to Spain every 2 weeks but he´s a level 1. Or 2. I forget.. Anyway, I obviously know more levels = higher level of experience and longer time with SLS but does that apply to me too? As in if Ive been singing for years and years would I need a teacher with a higher level say 4 or 5? Or could I learn a lot from a 1 or 2?

heheh... so you decided to find an sls instructor. yay for u! =p

I've been with a 4star sls instructor for a little over half a year.. it's more therapeutic than anything, stress relieving.

Yep I finally found one! She's a level four as well and I love her. Before my first lesson she asked what music I liked and I said all sorts and she asked if I liked Paramore so I knew it was a match made in heaven haha.

ROXCHICK93-find an SLS instructor on the site Trevor posted. That's where I found mine and I absolutely love her to death, and my voice improved after four lessons. I do two half hour sessions each week, sometimes two forty-five minute ones. You could still learn a lot from a level 2 but obviously a level 4 will know way more. My instructor started taking lessons from Seth Riggs (creator of SLS) when she was 14 and she's like 55 so she's just incredible, she knows so much. Plus an instructor with more experience will be much better at finding the right exercises for your voice to target your problems. I'd say go with the level three if possible.

DAISY RA-RA-Read what I said above to roxchick93. Since you're in Spain you're out of luck but hey you might as well try that level 1 teacher, every little bit helps right? There's actually a singer from Spain who's been in town working with my voice coach for a little while, he said the closest good coach he could find was in Paris. And I guess when he goes back to Spain he'll be doing webcam classes with my instructor. I know some teachers do webcam and phone classes, but that may be pricey for you to call from Spain and all that. I would definitely get the Brett Manning dvd stuff if I were you, and he's also going to have videos of other people's classes online that you can pay for. He's Hayley's vocal coach if you didn't know and his site is singingsuccess.com.

DAYUM that was a lot haha.

^thankkss!

i have two questions though

i have a pretty good voice. i just need a more fuller tone and like some more power behind it. will they help?

and. averagely. how much does it cost?

It will help for sure. I needed power and my tone is "beefier", for lack of a better term. My coach helps me a lot with breathing and getting enough breath behind me to produce a strong, full sound. My lessons are $65 an hour but it really depends on the coach, I know Brett Manning's are like $200 an hour, so you'll just have to call them and see. Also they should give you a free trial class before you have to pay for them.

Thanks Jess. Ill definately look into the dvd´s. I checked out the sites and everything and it just looks so interesting and a different a different approach to the typical classical training. I had nodules a few years ago and lost a lot of strength to my voice so this seems the way to go.

Thanks again.

Double post but oh well. This is WAY better than classical training because it's geared to correct your problems and give you a nice big range to work with. My cousin took choir for years and she has no range at all because they trained her with a classical method. While my range has just exploded since I've taken voice lessons, and my voice is much stronger and my technique is so much better.

It's amazing what voice lessons can do, isn't it? :)

With voice lessons you get a one on one teaching advise. The teacher is more focused on your voice. While being in a choir, there's more than one voice. But being able to just work on your own, you'll get to see what you're strengths are. I've known some people who were worried that voice lessons would change how they sounded. But it doesn't, well at least not for me. My voice teacher taught me how to work with my voice and use it in a proper way, she didn't change the way I sounded.

I like my voice as it is but it never really matured at 16 or around that when its supposed to lol so a little maturing would be good. My range is big upwards whether Im belting or doing choral stuff but going lower than middle C just sounds super odd. I dunno, I was lucky with choirs because one I was in the lady that run it was a very good singing teacher and we´d do 45mins of warm ups along with breath control and she´d check us all then the other choirs were run by a music teacher with experience in cathedral choirs so we were treated like choirboys haha. Prob why I still sound like one LOL. I love learning about completely different singing techniques however, its fun and interesting.

I was wondering if anyone has ever had issues with the excersises in lessons but then confused the teacher when you can sing correctly? I just cant do the excersises doh. I really dont know why..?

Like what are you having problems with? When I first started some of the exercises were wonky, but once you start doing them it'll get way easier. And song scale ALWAYS screws me up. I know it's like 7 notes up and 6 back down but I worry so much about missing one that I screw up the whole scale.

Just thought I would mention....my voice is gone. :(

Anyways... for those of you who lose your voice, I'm sure you've heard of the Honey and Tea which does help to bring it back. But I wanted to share with you all that I use these throat relievers called Thayers Slippery Elm They're amazing. They're for the musicians throat. They're kinda pricey, but seriously they do wonders for your throat. I've known about them for a few years now.

...wow I sound like I'm doing an infomercial. lol

But really, they're amazing, and every singer should have them.

Ok I'm done now.

:)

Placing as in notin my throat but say for high classical notes in my ¨head¨ and opening my throat perfectly along with my mouth in the correct position. For chest voice I have no problems placing lol, thats the easy part.

I had some throat things too but they tasted nasty lol so right now I stick to the honey and tea mmm.

I sing!!! :mrgreen:

I love singing, not an hour goes by without me singing or dancing around! haha!

I'm not in a band..

but i sing with various groups at school etc

i've also sung on various recordings made at school

you can hear some here:

http://www.myspace.com/lizirose

go listen!! & add me or tell me what you think!

Placing as in notin my throat but say for high classical notes in my ¨head¨ and opening my throat perfectly along with my mouth in the correct position. For chest voice I have no problems placing lol, thats the easy part.

I had some throat things too but they tasted nasty lol so right now I stick to the honey and tea mmm.

Hmmm...I can't say how to help you with that, I didn't have that problem. Maybe it's just a matter of practice?

Also, my throat is KILLING me. I strained it today and then had to talk all night at work and I have voice again tomorrow so I'm hoping it mellows out over night. My voice coach is incredible with natural remedies and I heard her telling this lady how to cure her freaking tonsilitis without going to a doctor the other day so I'm sure she'll help me out tomorrow haha.

EDIT: Tea with honey REALLY helped, but I pretty much blew it out again tonight. I think I'm gonna keep talking to a minimum until my next lesson.

Just thought I would mention....my voice is gone. :(

Anyways... for those of you who lose your voice, I'm sure you've heard of the Honey and Tea which does help to bring it back. But I wanted to share with you all that I use these throat relievers called Thayers Slippery Elm They're amazing. They're for the musicians throat. They're kinda pricey, but seriously they do wonders for your throat. I've known about them for a few years now.

...wow I sound like I'm doing an infomercial. lol

But really, they're amazing, and every singer should have them.

Ok I'm done now.

:)

I just ordered some...it was only about $2.50 for 24, that's not too bad.

really?!?!?!

The place I go to sells a box of 24 for like $9.00 or $10.00 and then the they also sell Thayers in a bottle and that's like $28 or something like that.

Well anyways, you won't regret ordering them. I always have them on me.

***Edit

Never Mind...

I guess I bought the box for $7 and the bottle for like $14. I don't know why I thought it was so much more. I think it's because I bought two bottles at the same time and it came out to be $28 something. So that's probably why I was confusing myself thinking that a bottle of Thayers came out to be $28.....haha silly me...

:roll: