Writer's Guild Might Picket the Grammys

Jeneram

From Perezhilton.com :

"We are 100% in support of the writers' strike, BUT….

The Writers Guild is now fucking with our Grammy Awards!

The WGA has announced plans to picket the ceremony.

How is the music business hurting the striking writers??? It's not!

Sure, the ceremony will air on CBS and the network is part of the big media that is refusing to negotiate with the writers. However, the WGA already said it would refuse to grant the Grammys a waiver that would allow them to use WGA members to write the show.

It's unclear how much of an impact a WGA picket line would have, but the kudocast will have to make do without the usual 10-20 actors who usually serve as presenters. Last year, for example, Quentin Tarantino, Luke Wilson, Nicolas Cage, Terrence Howard, Samuel L. Jackson, Chris Rock and David Spade appeared on the show.

This year also has a substantial number of nominated musicians who have appeared in films and on TV. Chief among them are Justin Timberlake, Queen Latifah, Tim McGraw, Beyonce, Jack White, Jon Bon Jovi, T.I. and Fantasia. Among the nominees who have historically not crossed picket lines are Bruce Springsteen, the Beastie Boys, Joni Mitchell, John Mellencamp and Steve Earle.

There is no need to picket the Grammys!

Don't be starting that drama. "

I'm in support of the writer's strike as well, but that would be INCREDIBLY LAME if i didn't get to see my paramore up there! seriously, so lame.

Well I hope that you guys all realize that this is a lot bigger than being about Paramore. The WGA is trying to make a point and get what they want and deserve, and this is the way the have to go about it. The nurses from one hospital in Las Vegas were on strike and wouldn't work, and the hospital had to bring in nurses from out of state and spend even MORE money...that's just the way these things are. Sometimes you have to go to extremes to get your point across. And it would be extremely disrespectful for the actors & such to cross the picket lines considering that without the writers they would be without work...

^Yeah they're getting attention, but that's not what they're looking for. They are trying to get their contracts changed and by having all the award shows cancelled & tv shows put into re-runs, it proves that without them hollywood is screwed. And it's way more than TV shows, the writers obviously write the scripts & jokes for the awards shows as well as some of the red carpet questions and jokes, as well as movies, and comedian's work. Pretty much all comedians have a writer or several, which a lot of people don't know. Sure they come up with some stuff of their own but not all of it. Kathy Griffin is one who rarely uses writers because her comedy is just stories about her life, but they write her one-liners when she works the red carpet.

It's good to know that CBS is sticking with airing them, it is the 50th Annual Grammy Awards, after all. However, there are still a bunch of musicians who won't cross the picket line.

The one good thing about the Grammys is that it's based more on performances than giving out the awards. In 3 1/2 hours, they give out a dozen of the over 100 awards and the rest is performances.

well the think is about a week before the golden globes NBC said they will still air the show as planned, but a couple days before they canceled it. lets just hope it won't happen to the grammys

I don't think that will happen. I got an email from the Recording Academy today that said they are working on and argeement with WGA like Letterman has for his show. So I don't see that happening or picketing for that matter..

Have you not noticed that Conan is in re-runs because of the strike? That show has writers as well.

conans back and he writes his own stuff now in fact he used to be a writer back in the day and im pretty sure he wrote for snl. i watched his show last night and i think his jokes better.

and i just would like to add that every late night talk show is back, leno and conan dont use writers, letterman and ferguson have some kind of agreement with the writers and i have no idea what kimmel does ahaha

^He did write for SNL. I wasn't aware that it was back, sorry about that. I know that he still wrote some of the stuff for his show but he had a writing team as well, maybe he's just taken on all the work now?

And to get back on topic, if you don't get why this would screw up the grammys you can read my lengthy explanation on the first page.