The Book Thread: What are you reading?

thebrowncoat

^oh good grief, wutheng heights dont do it to yourself it is pure torture im telling you

i got some delightful books for christmas none of which i can remember but may include the new cecilia ahern novel how marvellous

Really? I found Wuthering Heights to be wonderful. I didn't have to read it for school so perhaps that's why. I thought it was quite a beautiful story. Although, the first few chapters are a snooze fest.

Ever read "The Importance of Being Earnest" by Oscar Wilde? It's a play, not a novel, but it is incredibly funny.

I just finished "A Christmas Carol" and I think I am going to start "Wuthering Heights" next.

Personally, I highly enjoyed Wuthering Heights, but it's one of those books that you'll either love or hate--there's not an in-between. My Mother wasn't fond of that book, really. I'd say give it a go! But the first few chapters are slow to start the book, I must warn ye.

I'm not going to say i don't like the story. It's a bit odd to try and explain without really contradicting myself; i really like the story, i like the idea of the relationship that heathcliff and cathy have and the way the power of it is presented. i just hate the way the book is written. like. i do not like to read the book, and i don't like the characters. but the narrative is rad.

but yeah i think if i wasn't reading it for english i might enjoy it a bit more, although having said that i doubt i would have picked it up at all if i didn't have to...

I'm not going to say i don't like the story. It's a bit odd to try and explain without really contradicting myself; i really like the story, i like the idea of the relationship that heathcliff and cathy have and the way the power of it is presented. i just hate the way the book is written. like. i do not like to read the book, and i don't like the characters. but the narrative is rad.

but yeah i think if i wasn't reading it for english i might enjoy it a bit more, although having said that i doubt i would have picked it up at all if i didn't have to...

You do have a point: The characters are not easy to bear. They're all snobby and over-dramatic, but that was how things were back then, I suppose. There wasn't really that one character a reader could hold on to, you know? They were all annoying, haha.

• 3 weeks later...